Witcher 3 devs: Xbox One will get more powerful and is easier to work with!

#11SomnusNemorisPosted 6/18/2014 8:31:58 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
This is an article from last year, what's the point of bringing this back up?

Is it some attempt to counter the news that Witcher 3 is 1080p on ps4 and 900p on xbox one right now?

Because that would actually accomplish the opposite:
Witcher 3 is 900p on xbox one, despite being easier to develop for.

It is? Oh damn, I guess CD Projekt were talking out of their arse and it's not easier to develop for.

PS4 wins again, I guess.
---
PSN/GT/Steam/GoG - AstuteClass
http://i.imgur.com/n86BZOR.png
#12SoulTrapperPosted 6/18/2014 8:45:13 AM(edited)
SomnusNemoris posted...

It is? Oh damn, I guess CD Projekt were talking out of their arse and it's not easier to develop for.

PS4 wins again, I guess.

From what I've heard from a guy who works as a dev (yeah I know "my dad works for Nintendo etc"), both are quite similar to develop for as far as ease is concerned.

The only issue is the small size of the ESRAM.

Right now, they're making the games for the xbox one and simply upgrading them for PC and PS4.

I don't know how other devs are doing it, but it makes sense to go for the lowest first and work your way up from there.
#13snakes_codecPosted 6/18/2014 8:37:23 AM
Honestly this stinks of a brought opinion .
#14assassin10133Posted 6/18/2014 8:47:20 AM
XB1 could still be easier to develop for despite the fact the game runs at a lower native resolution. The res difference is mostly hardware limitation, PS4 has a better gpu, therefore they can get the res higher on PS4 than on XB1. Doesn't change the fact that for CDPR, it's easier for them to develop on XB1 as they're used to PCs. Easier development doesn't remove hardware limitations though.
#15Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/18/2014 8:51:06 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
Here's something more recent than that reference:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-18-witcher-3-e3-gameplay-demo-combat-was-deliberately-easy-cd-projekt-says

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox."

Considering DX12 is X1 only from a console perspective, this has big long-term implications.

Re: PS4 -- "It's just a slightly more powerful machine"

Guess that's why the PS4 version is pumping out 30% more pixels in The Witcher 3
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#16EvilTrashPosted 6/18/2014 9:24:40 AM
If it's easier for THEM to work with, that's one thing. That doesn't "it's easier to work with" in a general, overall, objective way. They are talking subjectively from their own experience and expertise.

I am a programmer. I do a lot of my programming in C#. For me, if someone asked me to do a program for them, I'd first determine whether it was feasible to do in C#, because that's what most of my experience and development expertise is. That doesn't mean that C# is easier in a general sense than, say, Java, or whatever other language you can think of. It's just easier for me, because it's what I'm comfortable with and would require the least amount of porting of my knowledge and existing code bases in order to develop something in that language.

For someone else, they might conclude that Java is definitely easier for THEM to develop the same project in.

There's really nothing learned here except that the Xbox One development environment is similar enough to the dev environment that CDPR has worked with in the past that they find it easy to work with now.

And yet at the same time, he's saying they can get better performance out of the PS4 more easily? So if that's the case, the PS4, an unfamiliar environment, must be in a general and objective sense pretty easy to come to terms with and learn since they had no experience with that type of dev environment before-hand, and are getting better performance out of it so easily.
#17darkwizard3533Posted 6/18/2014 9:28:04 AM
i also felt this was relevant

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

not only is the ps4 more powerful from a hardware standpoint but it currently gives the developers more control than the directx api microsoft currently uses.

ps4 has more potential for growth then even the xbox one does.
#18Laylow12Posted 6/18/2014 9:34:44 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
Here's something more recent than that reference:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-18-witcher-3-e3-gameplay-demo-combat-was-deliberately-easy-cd-projekt-says

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox."

Considering DX12 is X1 only from a console perspective, this has big long-term implications.

Re: PS4 -- "It's just a slightly more powerful machine"

Damage control and false hope are all I see here. Come back when it actually shows up in the games.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#19Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 6/18/2014 9:52:57 AM
What we do know(PS4 version will be 1080p) is some believed it would definitely be 720p on Xbox One after the rumors. I mean it definitely wasn't going to be any better than that according to the res experts here. Now it is said to be 900p with them trying for 1080p by the time it releases next year.
---
http://i.imgur.com/yrlM3sD.gif
#20bob15xPosted 6/18/2014 9:55:41 AM
darkwizard3533 posted...
i also felt this was relevant

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

not only is the ps4 more powerful from a hardware standpoint but it currently gives the developers more control than the directx api microsoft currently uses.

ps4 has more potential for growth then even the xbox one does.

says who? you?