Is it worth watching TV on the Xbox because of electricity costs?

#11fan360Posted 6/28/2014 1:01:05 PM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
I haven't but I only used it for a month and I realized it wasn't worth running my Xbox constantly. The electricity isn't what bothered me so much but the idea of wearing the system out sooner

As long as the DVD is not spinning, it shouldn't wear the system.

I have a 13 year old 1st day original xbox with a hard drive.
It still runs.
#12Laylow12Posted 6/28/2014 1:06:00 PM
It does degrade the picture quality, that enough is reason not to and if you don't believe me research it.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#13IroncondorzPosted 6/28/2014 1:55:09 PM
oJoRdAn23o posted...
I know the Xbox One by itself uses up a lot of electricity, but does watching TV connected through the HDMI make it a lot worse? For those of you who do this, have you noticed a large increase in the bill? Watching TV through the Xbox is very convenient, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.

How much do you pay per kWh?
#14x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 6/28/2014 1:58:31 PM
fan360 posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
I haven't but I only used it for a month and I realized it wasn't worth running my Xbox constantly. The electricity isn't what bothered me so much but the idea of wearing the system out sooner

As long as the DVD is not spinning, it shouldn't wear the system.

I have a 13 year old 1st day original xbox with a hard drive.
It still runs.

DVD doesn't spin during game play either. The issue is heat and even if not much there's always that slight chance. No reason to run my system all day when I have the ports on my TV.
#15LooksLikeRainPosted 6/28/2014 2:12:40 PM
oJoRdAn23o posted...
I know the Xbox One by itself uses up a lot of electricity, but does watching TV connected through the HDMI make it a lot worse? For those of you who do this, have you noticed a large increase in the bill? Watching TV through the Xbox is very convenient, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.

It really doesn't though.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#16extankerPosted 6/28/2014 2:44:54 PM
It's really up to you. It's most likely going to cost you a few extra bucks a month on your electric bill. Personally I didn't see the advantage of using it for TV so I prefer to save the few dollars.

If a few bucks don't mean anything to you or you like the TV experience on the One them go for it.
#17boolzeroPosted 6/28/2014 3:17:01 PM
oJoRdAn23o posted...

I've noticed about a $2 difference a month at most on my power bill, and the TV is on for a good amount of the day in my home. That may vary from State to State but you are not going to see some major hike... If you have an HVAC you'll already know that the worst offender for power consumption would be that followed by an electric water heater (yeah they can be energy star but they are still the largest power suckers in any home). Take advice from the adults here who actually pay their power bills, not the young folks who will tell you whatever their biased option is for the day.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#18Syn_VengeancePosted 6/28/2014 3:44:19 PM
I just don't see the point of running my Xbox to watch cable, I have multiple Hdmi cords and slots for them. I literally hit the button once to switch to the cable Hdmi and one button to turn it on...

You save like half a second running it through your Xbox and then have your system running all day for no reason but to watch cable.... it's dumb in my opinion and also lowers resolution of your cable watching through the Xbox.
---
Currently Playing: COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4.
Waiting For: COD: Advanced Warfare, BF: Hardline, The Division, Rainbow Six Seige.
#19boolzeroPosted 6/28/2014 9:15:45 PM
Syn_Vengeance posted...
I just don't see the point of running my Xbox to watch cable, I have multiple Hdmi cords and slots for them. I literally hit the button once to switch to the cable Hdmi and one button to turn it on...

You save like half a second running it through your Xbox and then have your system running all day for no reason but to watch cable.... it's dumb in my opinion and also lowers resolution of your cable watching through the Xbox.

It doesn't lower the resolution of your cable... That's just plain false.

As for the reasons to use it... You say you have to hit one button to switch over, one button to whatever, but you don't. You have to hit buttons everytime you want to change a channel. You have to hit buttons everytime you want the volume up or down, when you want to mute it, when you want to go to your cable guide. I don't have to touch anything. That's the difference.

It may not be for you, but don't call it dumb just because you feel you would never use the option... That's like saying people saying using it to watch Netflix or Hulu is dumb, or using the browser on it. It's a feature on my device and like all features on it I tried it out and found that I like it. At least do the same before passing blanket judgment on it and the people who use it...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#20Syn_VengeancePosted 6/28/2014 10:44:20 PM
boolzero posted...
Syn_Vengeance posted...

It doesn't lower the resolution of your cable... That's just plain false.

As for the reasons to use it... You say you have to hit one button to switch over, one button to whatever, but you don't. You have to hit buttons everytime you want to change a channel. You have to hit buttons everytime you want the volume up or down, when you want to mute it, when you want to go to your cable guide. I don't have to touch anything. That's the difference.

It may not be for you, but don't call it dumb just because you feel you would never use the option... That's like saying people saying using it to watch Netflix or Hulu is dumb, or using the browser on it. It's a feature on my device and like all features on it I tried it out and found that I like it. At least do the same before passing blanket judgment on it and the people who use it...

I did use it for 2 days when I first bought the systems, pushing buttons on a remote is not a very time consuming thing to do yah know. I just don't see the point of leaving or Xbox on to watch cable, to shed a few seconds clicking the guide and browsing channels? I only watch 2 channels on TV,.once which is always on and just hit the last button to switch to the other.

So let me rephrase my statement and say it's a useless and dumb feature to me, one in which I don't see the point of running my Xbox to watch cable TV. These are the things that are making kids lazy these days though, can't even push buttons on a remote anymore to watch tv..
---
Currently Playing: COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4.
Waiting For: COD: Advanced Warfare, BF: Hardline, The Division, Rainbow Six Seige.