Why are digital games $59.99?

#1Gunvalkyrie2Posted 6/29/2014 7:30:55 AM
Why is there NO price break due to limited resources needed like no case, no disc, no shipping to stores.... More importantly why are launch titles like Ryse which were never worth full price STILL full price 59.99 9 months later? Who's paying these prices??
---
You are ignoring 9 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#2mrpicPosted 6/29/2014 7:34:32 AM
basically game stores force microsoft to keep digital prices high

if digital prices are dropped below store prices or in competition with store prices, stores like game/gamestop will refuse to stock new releases and reduce advertising space in their stores for the console in question.
#3mattglosbcfcPosted 6/29/2014 7:40:20 AM
mrpic posted...
basically game stores force microsoft to keep digital prices high

if digital prices are dropped below store prices or in competition with store prices, stores like game/gamestop will refuse to stock new releases and reduce advertising space in their stores for the console in question.

This is the reason.
#4daniel79Posted 6/29/2014 7:42:36 AM
They are 59.99 in the UK.

Looking that up on Currency Converter, that's $102.22.

..That can't be right, can it? :O
#5bossk5Posted 6/29/2014 7:46:14 AM
I don't support digital on consoles. Look at the price of WoTS 4 on psn for example, it's still the same price as when released. If it would have had a physical release over here the price would have most likely dropped a lot by now.
---
I buy used games. I own a PS4, so according to Gamefaqs law I now have the right to act like a complete douchebag on the Xbox One board.
#6mattglosbcfcPosted 6/29/2014 7:46:42 AM
daniel79 posted...
They are 59.99 in the UK.

Looking that up on Currency Converter, that's $102.22.

..That can't be right, can it? :O

I know. Depressing aint it. I would never touch a game at that price, let alone the digital version.

The same game can be bought in Tesco at max of 44.99
#7AzaneAzerPosted 6/29/2014 7:51:45 AM
Because people pay for them.

We've seen companies prove that selling digital copies for games in the 5-20$ range is completely sustainable.
#8ObtikPosted 6/29/2014 7:57:16 AM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
Why is there NO price break due to limited resources needed like no case, no disc, no shipping to stores.... More importantly why are launch titles like Ryse which were never worth full price STILL full price 59.99 9 months later? Who's paying these prices??

You answered this in your own post I think. There's no case to store, no shipping to deal with, don't even have to stand up. Just hit Buy and in a few hours you can play. Convenience costs $$$$
#9Bikes-Posted 6/29/2014 7:59:08 AM
AzaneAzer posted...
Because people pay for them.

We've seen companies prove that selling digital copies for games in the 5-20$ range is completely sustainable.

Those games are more low budget though.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#10AzaneAzerPosted 6/29/2014 8:00:44 AM(edited)
Obtik posted...
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...

You answered this in your own post I think. There's no case to store, no shipping to deal with, don't even have to stand up. Just hit Buy and in a few hours you can play. Convenience costs $$$$

Lol, That's such a salesmans pitch, consumers aren't all idiots, but most of them are.

Bikes- posted...
Those games are more low budget though.

Yes, my Low Budget titles I've obtained for less than 5$ on steam, like Assassin's Creed 3 and 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Saints Row 4, and Tropico 4

hint; All of those titles were on consoles for 60$