Gaming's Most Anticlimactic Moments

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 6/30/2014 7:20:39 AM
I've been playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order and I feel it's just fantastic. In terms of pacing, design - just fantastic. And the reason? It's climactic in all the right places. When you tease a crescendo, you better get a big bang - and this game delivers.

But it really just raises the issue - why on earth does it feel like such a surprise? Well, it could be that, in trying to be more like films, more cinematic - games have forgotten how to be... well, games, and they take control away from you at times you wish you had the reins. That even IF something cool happens on-screen, your character, NOT YOU, did it!

And it got me to thinking - there have really been a ton of anticlimactic gaming moments, scripted or otherwise, haven't there?

Share your MOST ANTICLIMACTIC GAMING MOMENT with us!

---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2slowdog76Posted 6/30/2014 7:35:43 AM
Alan Wake
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#3slowdog76Posted 6/30/2014 7:36:14 AM
also, boo the mods for your other topic getting deleted
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#4cymanxPosted 6/30/2014 7:37:55 AM
Aeris dying, it felt SO good!
---
Oh crap, I lost 3 Karma... Whatever will I do? I guess it truly is the end of the world..."
#5SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 7:42:37 AM
The Fable 2 finale was a REALLY sore point for me. That in particular sticks in my craw.
---
#6InjusticeRebornPosted 6/30/2014 7:43:10 AM
I don't want to be that person, but... Mass Effect 3's ending?

Not for the usual reasons it gets hated on (I don't think?), but just, for me, it's built up over 3 games, and the end of it all boils down to just choices. There should have been a boss, other than Marauder Shields.
---
A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. What about my PlayStation?
#7SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2014 7:44:31 AM
slowdog76 posted...
also, boo the mods for your other topic getting deleted

Thanks, slowdog. It's strange, every time I even attempt to post a topic and there's nothing about a Digital Foundry resolution comparison or "sales lol", it gets removed instantly, even if it's specifically to do with the Xbox One, an Xbox One trait, or the Xbox One community en-masse.
---
#8TheRealPhattyJPosted 6/30/2014 7:48:25 AM
InjusticeReborn posted...
I don't want to be that person, but... Mass Effect 3's ending?

Not for the usual reasons it gets hated on (I don't think?), but just, for me, it's built up over 3 games, and the end of it all boils down to just choices. There should have been a boss, other than Marauder Shields.

I think I'm the only person who liked the original ME3 ending. To me it said....

"No matter what you do, s*** happens and we're all f***** in the end. So enjoy the ride."
#9cheezedadadaPosted 6/30/2014 7:52:38 AM
I think the most anticlimatic gaming moment for me was the end of Borderlands 1. They talk the vault up to be this huge thing and pretty much nothing happens. It was to the point where they even took a jab at it in Borderlands 2 by saying the vault was a letdown. Loved every second of that game otherwise though...
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
#10InjusticeRebornPosted 6/30/2014 7:59:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the ME3 ending is horrible. I definitely wasn't one of those calling for blood - my view was "it is what it is". But after the boss battles from the first 2, 3 just kind of bubbles up and then fizzles down before the end.

I think it's all the talking? :/

cheezedadada posted...
I think the most anticlimatic gaming moment for me was the end of Borderlands 1. They talk the vault up to be this huge thing and pretty much nothing happens. It was to the point where they even took a jab at it in Borderlands 2 by saying the vault was a letdown. Loved every second of that game otherwise though...

Another good example.
---
A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. What about my PlayStation?