Why must "elitists" compare Steam Summer sales to XBL/ PSN sales?

#31dataDyneSoldierPosted 7/2/2014 1:08:22 AM
Robin_Mask posted...
dataDyneSoldier posted...
Robin_Mask posted...
The funny thing about all the Steam deals, is that it's more of random buying because they're cheap and nothing more.

Speak for yourself.

I just picked up Borderlands 2 with all DLC included for $10. Have fun waiting for that on a console.

???

I'm amazed at this response. Just wow. I don't even like the Borderlands franchise and I am very selective with what games I buy. So I won't ever wait for that deal.

Oh, sorry. Didn't realize you don't like Borderlands. I shouldn't have bought it.
---
"You keep shooting. You hope it goes in, and you smile."
Thank you, Teemu Selanne.
#32dataDyneSoldierPosted 7/2/2014 1:15:15 AM
But while you're at it, link me to a page where I can download the entire Borderlands 2 collection on a console for $10. Or the following:

Batman: Arkham Origins $7.50
Bioshock Infinite $7.49
Far Cry 3 $7.49
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim $4.99
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition $4.99
Metro: Last Light $6.79
Tomb Raider $4.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons $2.99
Dishonored - $4.99

...just to name a few.

Some may be "older games", but don't assume that people pay for them just because they're cheap and never play them. You'll never be able to find those games for that cheap on consoles. Deal with it. Or be a blind fanboy. Your choice.
---
"You keep shooting. You hope it goes in, and you smile."
Thank you, Teemu Selanne.
#33Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 1:24:38 AM
But while you're at it, link me to a page where I can download the entire Borderlands 2 collection on a console for $10. Or the following:

Batman: Arkham Origins – $7.50
Bioshock Infinite – $7.49
Far Cry 3 – $7.49
The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim – $4.99
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition – $4.99
Metro: Last Light – $6.79
Tomb Raider – $4.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons – $2.99
Dishonored - $4.99

...just to name a few.

Some may be "older games", but don't assume that people pay for them just because they're cheap and never play them. You'll never be able to find those games for that cheap on consoles. Deal with it. Or be a blind fanboy. Your choice.

Don't get mad bro, but I paid an extra $3.95 for Bioshock Infinite a couple weeks ago on PSN.
---
GT - DyingRoman PSN - DyingRoman
#34TenzhiPosted 7/2/2014 1:38:52 AM
Dishonored - $4.99

Does that version of Dishonored come with the DLC? The extra stories with the other assassin were better than the main game.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#35Phrostbyte101Posted 7/2/2014 1:41:58 AM
Jedi454 posted...

Batman: Arkham Origins – $7.50
Bioshock Infinite – $7.49
Far Cry 3 – $7.49
The Elder Scrolls V – Skyrim – $4.99
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition – $4.99
Metro: Last Light – $6.79
Tomb Raider – $4.99
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons – $2.99
Dishonored - $4.99

...just to name a few.

Don't get mad bro, but I paid an extra $3.95 for Bioshock Infinite a couple weeks ago on PSN.

That's a good deal, BioShock sale price only went down 2.50on pc. PC gamers were stuck paying 10 bucks the last 8 months.
#36boolzeroPosted 7/2/2014 2:02:01 AM
Tenzhi posted...
Dishonored - $4.99

Does that version of Dishonored come with the DLC? The extra stories with the other assassin were better than the main game.

Iirc, the complete version with the DLC was $9.99...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#37boolzeroPosted 7/2/2014 2:19:43 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Lol at the guy that only just bought Borderlands 2, it's been on sale across all platforms numerous times and a fan of the series would've picked it up almost 2 years ago.

"I payed more for the exact same thing and think this is somehow better."

I understand teenagers don't have a lot of patience, but you don't have to buy everything brand new just to enjoy it.

Contrastly, you don't have to wait for everything to go on sale to justify its worth either. We all evaluate things differently and buy what we like at the price we feel those things are worth to us. Also, being condescending to some one just because they don't share the same sense of value as you doesn't make your choice anymore acceptable. We all place value on the things we like and pay what we feel our hobbies are worth to us. That goes for both comments. It doesn't help conversation and only causes conflict.

Personally, I buy new all the time. I don't resell my games. I have no problem buying sometimes two, three or even four retail priced games in a month, and that's not including any of my other hobbies. On the occasions I catch a deal, I grab them, but often when I buy something I will feel a game is worth the asking price for me. I don't hold others to my standard and I definitely don't judge them or look down on them for their purchasing power or decisions. As I said before, we all evaluate the things we enjoy differently.

I'd hope that some of the alleged adults on this thread be a little more open minded and mature in their responses. Let's set the example, not lower them to the mean...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#38facetioussagePosted 7/2/2014 2:30:51 AM
Jedi454 posted...
No matter where I go on the internet, there is always an try hard elitist saying "Blah blah poor console peasants, this is why steam is the future...", most of which they're look about 12 or 13 years old.

At first I was foolish enough to make comparisons between PC and console sales, but then I realised they're two different things. PCs should never be compared to consoles because their focus is different. PCs have so much competition and games are created on PCs, so they have to try and lower their prices for games to get more business, where as consoles are made by one company and they control the pricing.

I wanted to bold out the area where you answered your own question. The reason Steam will offer deeper discounts is because the consoles profitability lies in software sales and they really can't undercut that overmuch. It's the licensing fees to release on a console that does that.

That said, I've seen some good prices on console versions now and again, and they are getting better, but they do not compare overall to the types of discounts you can get on a PC.

I've read through this thread and have seen a few jabs lobbed at either side, which is not surprising. There are some advantages to gaming on a PC, and the console advantage lies in it's exclusives. The downside to the console exclusives is that it is becoming more frequent to see more games being released on PC as well.

Some people speak of the PC games being very old as if it is a bad thing. I hate to point out that those old games are available in addition to newer games being released. You may want to re-think the "disadvantage" of old games being on PC since it points to a much stronger backwards compatibility than any of the current consoles have to offer.

Another post pointed out the exclusives of PC games being games like "Bob's 8bit Ant Maze". That was honestly the funniest line in this entire thread. There is a lot of truth to that, since the majority of Indies will end up on the PC and not bother with the consoles altogether. That said, if one looks at the offerings of Indies on the 360, it would seem the quality is about the same. That wasn't the poster's point, of course, he was speaking of exclusives. It really comes down to having a wider variety of AAA games mixed with middling games and Bob's Ant-Farm games versus a smaller number of exclusives that may or may not end up being really compelling.

Ultimately people will regard Steam sales as better than what one can find on consoles simply because they objectively are. The discounts tend to be deeper and the number of games made available for sale during those times usually consists of the majority of Steam's catalog.

One of my issues with the XB1 when it was first announced and they were still advocating all-digital was the assumption that they would have Steam-Like sales. The thing about consoles is their licensing, and it would not have been cost-effective for them to try anything like what most people think of as "Steam-Like" sales. As I said before, they have improved somewhat (at least as far as sales go on the 360 which is all I have to compare to), but discount/selection levels are still very different from what I can find on the PC.
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#39stawg007Posted 7/2/2014 2:31:11 AM
Because the sale prices are an absolute joke 90% most of the time on consoles

Steam sales are actually good and this is coming from someone who stopped PC gaming since the ps1 came out
#40OmegaTavoPosted 7/2/2014 2:33:44 AM
Steam sales are better, fact, not opinion. Stating otherwise just proves how much of a fanboy you are.

Still I prefer to play on consoles, is just a matter of choice. I would love steam like sales on consoles.
---
A proud contributor of the videogame industry since 1987