More on Resolution-Gate--720p vs. 1080p

#1quincy2000aPosted 7/1/2014 5:47:16 PM
Warning--The following may be a discussion of resolution/fps/graphics. Reader discretion is advised.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/14954-ps4-ice-team-fps-target-fixed-point-development-not-resolution-line-sand-do.html

From the comments section of the article:

Barry Sandrew, Ph.D. 25 days ago
Correction - "I was not specifically asked about gamers in my interview. I stated that the average consumer cannot tell the difference between 1080P and 720P given a side by side comparison. I don't place avid gamers in the category of average consumer." Barry Sandrew, Ph.D.

So, should some of us feel special? Does this mean some of us are smarter--well more observant--than the average bear?
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."
#2Viet0nePosted 7/1/2014 6:07:07 PM
No, it simply means gamers have developed a greater sense of detail than a normal person.

This was already true back in the VHS to DVD or DVD to Blu-ray. There will be people who simply won't be able to see the significant difference.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIV ARR, FFXHD, Spelunky, Dead Rising 3, Destiny
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#3pblimp360Posted 7/1/2014 6:11:04 PM
More resolution talk from you. Surprise, right? Do you even play games guy?

Anyway, staying true to my word, anyone fanboy or troll making yet another insipid topic about resolution is going on ignore. No hard feelings man. Later.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#4quincy2000a(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 6:13:27 PM
Viet0ne posted...
No, it simply means gamers have developed a greater sense of detail than a normal person.

quincy2000a posted...
So, should some of us feel special? Does this mean some of us are smarter--well more observant--than the average bear?

Assuming that the article's comment and response are true--

If you admit that gamers have developed a greater sense of detail than a normal person...why can't gamers feel a little special about that?

i kinda do...
---
#5quincy2000a(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 6:15:59 PM
pblimp360 posted...
More resolution talk from you. Surprise, right? Do you even play games guy?

Anyway, staying true to my word, anyone fanboy or troll making yet another insipid topic about resolution is going on ignore. No hard feelings man. Later.

No offense taken.

I think I actually recommended that you put me along with my topics on ignore earlier...and you told me you were going to once before already.
---
#6Viet0nePosted 7/1/2014 6:53:01 PM
quincy2000a posted...
Viet0ne posted...

quincy2000a posted...

Assuming that the article's comment and response are true--

If you admit that gamers have developed a greater sense of detail than a normal person...why can't gamers feel a little special about that?

i kinda do...

Because a greater sense of detail in vision isn't something that is rare. Some people can see better detail in games but suck at looking at photos. A gamer may be able to tell the difference between texture quality but when looking at handwriting wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the real person or a forger. A mechanic might be able to simply look at an engine bay and see what could be wrong but look inside a computer and be clueless.

The reason why gamers see more detail in games is because of the higher than average exposure to video games. Not because they are better than the average person in perception.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIV ARR, FFXHD, Spelunky, Dead Rising 3, Destiny
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#7quincy2000a(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 7:02:38 PM
Viet0ne posted...
The reason why gamers see more detail in games is because of the higher than average exposure to video games. Not because they are better than the average person in perception.

...killjoy...(steps down from my pedestal)

Kidding, just kidding!

Thanks for your insight!
---
#8spacejamjordanzPosted 7/1/2014 7:44:07 PM
quincy2000a posted...
Viet0ne posted...

...killjoy...(steps down from my pedestal)

Kidding, just kidding!

Thanks for your insight!

What he is saying is true. If you game more than casually then it's no surprise that you would notice things that others wont. Res made a difference in BF4 for me. After 3 months of playing BF4 in 900p(PS4), then in 720p(XB1), I definitely notice the difference. I'm pretty sure if a PC player played either console version, then they would notice the difference as well.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#9redeyes6778Posted 7/1/2014 7:54:36 PM
Another X1 fanboy making a 720p is equal/better than 1080p topic again sigh
#10NeoMonkPosted 7/1/2014 8:00:25 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ob27ewo
---
*Demands Sony and Nintendo release NEW games but is excited to play 10 year old remakes in Halo Collection* -XBOX1 Forums