Microsoft increasing protection, even from the Government.

#1Cowboy082288Posted 7/2/2014 4:43:00 AM
Interesting article about it.

http://www.groovypost.com/news/microsoft-adds-encryption-outlook-com-onedrive/

Hopefully MS is serious about taking the Gov. to task legally.
#2MasteroftheArtsPosted 7/2/2014 4:48:43 AM
Yep. They've said in the past that if the subpoenas continued to come, they would institute crypto in response.

Really, crypto is inevitable for all internet companies.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#3MrSpaM111Posted 7/2/2014 4:54:50 AM
I'd take this with a grain of salt tbh, it's been proven that Microsoft have willing let the government snoop on skype transmissions and built backdoors into their operating systems. For them to say they are now trying to protect users from a backdoor they installed themselves is a little ridiculous.

Yes they've added encryption to their services, but you can sure as hell predict they are also handing over the encryption keys to whoever asks for them as well.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#4puffnbillys420Posted 7/2/2014 5:01:10 AM
Microsoft says a lot of things
---
Psn: DirtyJoeBro XBL: joe1ah feel free to add me
#5axelfooley2k5Posted 7/2/2014 5:05:29 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
I'd take this with a grain of salt tbh, it's been proven that Microsoft have willing let the government snoop on skype transmissions and built backdoors into their operating systems. For them to say they are now trying to protect users from a backdoor they installed themselves is a little ridiculous.

Yes they've added encryption to their services, but you can sure as hell predict they are also handing over the encryption keys to whoever asks for them as well.

boooya

this is what im talking about

DontTrustAnybody
#6MasteroftheArtsPosted 7/2/2014 5:08:38 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...

No, they're receiving subpoenas which compel them by law to hand over any information. As far as encryption keys, it is unclear whether they have the legal authority to demand encryption keys from companies.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
#7axelfooley2k5Posted 7/2/2014 5:16:04 AM
they never before stood up
now they are getting backlash for snowden and they act like they care
#8MasteroftheArtsPosted 7/2/2014 5:39:54 AM
axelfooley2k5 posted...
they never before stood up
now they are getting backlash for snowden and they act like they care

There is no standing up. They're required by law to comply with subpoenas. You act like the law is just this thing you can ignore when you feel like it.
---
#9MrSpaM111Posted 7/2/2014 5:42:56 AM(edited)
MasteroftheArts posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...

No, they're receiving subpoenas which compel them by law to hand over any information. As far as encryption keys, it is unclear whether they have the legal authority to demand encryption keys from companies.

No, the NSA are actively monitoring and collecting peoples Skype transmissions, they don't have to ask for anything, the data is being stored on their PRISM servers not Microsoft's.

And as for the encryption..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#10Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 11:12:04 AM
MasteroftheArts posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...

I agree, when it comes to the government the only recourse companies like MS have is litigation. I don't think companies like google, apple, yahoo, or MS really want to turn info over. It doesn't help them financially and hurts them with regard to customer relations.

Hopefully these companies can legally challenge what the gov wants.