Brilliant Console Game Design: You Don't Understand Halo (volume one)

#11SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 1:07:15 PM
WARNING, SCOTTISH DISAMBIGUATION EXPLANATION WARNING!

"Diving aboot" means moving around freely, without any overt obstacles causing hindrance.

Terribly sorry to speak so freely. Next time I'll try to keep to Americanised English (Literally, simplified/uncomplicated English).
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#12LooksLikeRainPosted 7/2/2014 1:13:21 PM(edited)
SigmaLongshot posted...

"Diving aboot" means moving around freely, without any overt obstacles causing hindrance.

Terribly sorry to speak so freely. Next time I'll try to keep to Americanised English (Literally, simplified/uncomplicated English).

I was just messing around. I enjoyed the read. However, when you just say dive, I think a lot of people would assume a literal dive, especially when you have run, jump, and sprint in the same sentence.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#13DarthUchiha91Posted 7/2/2014 1:18:55 PM
I agree with point one.

And that's precisely the reason why I DON"T like Master Chief.or superman, but that's neither here nor there

Not easy for me to explain, but he's not a person, in hardly any sense of the word. He's a legend, nothing more, nothing less. At least with characters like Solid Snake or Commander Shepard, there's a foundation, a beginning to these characters, how they became the legends they are in their respective series. Master Chief, just is. I don't mind it as a NPC, but I don't prefer it as a protagonist.
---
The Delay game is GOTY 2014!
#14SixStringHeroPosted 7/2/2014 1:27:24 PM
I have been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D and am well versed in PC and console shooters since, and I can say without any hesitation that Halo revolutionized the FPS genre.

Prior to Halo's inception, there wasn't a single FPS on the market that used this formula;

-- Recharging Shields/ Health
-- Two weapon inventory (this forced some strategy on the player with which weapons to pick)
-- Instant melee and grenade button. Other games at the time required the player to manually select a crowbar or grenade.
-- Expansive environments. Halo has open level design so battles offer the player tactical approaches to encounters.
-- Hierarchy enemy based AI. If you take out an Elite or Brute, lesser enemies actually become routed and fight less effectively.
-- Seamless interaction with vehicles.

Halo came up with the perfect formula for a FPS, and the game was such a revolution that you still see top tier and AAA games uses it's mechanics and control scheme to this day.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#15SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 1:30:50 PM
In the next part I explore art design and the negative response to the Halo craze en-masse, but I thoroughly appreciate all the input.
---
#16DarthUchiha91Posted 7/2/2014 1:30:59 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/306/b/4/master_chief_keef_by_couteraction_comics-d5js0zn.png

Couldn't resist.
---
The Delay game is GOTY 2014!
#17SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 1:32:10 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

I was just messing around. I enjoyed the read. However, when you just say dive, I think a lot of people would assume a literal dive, especially when you have run, jump, and sprint in the same sentence.

I thoroughly appreciate that bud. I know I get snarky but you know if a person gets defensive they're passionate, simple as that! I hope to add more in part two.
---
#18LEGEND_725Posted 7/2/2014 1:36:05 PM
SixStringHero posted...
I have been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D and am well versed in PC and console shooters since, and I can say without any hesitation that Halo revolutionized the FPS genre.

Prior to Halo's inception, there wasn't a single FPS on the market that used this formula;

-- Recharging Shields/ Health
-- Two weapon inventory (this forced some strategy on the player with which weapons to pick)
-- Instant melee and grenade button. Other games at the time required the player to manually select a crowbar or grenade.
-- Expansive environments. Halo has open level design so battles offer the player tactical approaches to encounters.
-- Hierarchy enemy based AI. If you take out an Elite or Brute, lesser enemies actually become routed and fight less effectively.
-- Seamless interaction with vehicles.

Halo came up with the perfect formula for a FPS, and the game was such a revolution that you still see top tier and AAA games uses it's mechanics and control scheme to this day.

Thank you for this.
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#19a687947Posted 7/2/2014 1:40:16 PM(edited)
DarthUchiha91 posted...
I agree with point one.

And that's precisely the reason why I DON"T like Master Chief.or superman, but that's neither here nor there

Not easy for me to explain, but he's not a person, in hardly any sense of the word. He's a legend, nothing more, nothing less. At least with characters like Solid Snake or Commander Shepard, there's a foundation, a beginning to these characters, how they became the legends they are in their respective series. Master Chief, just is. I don't mind it as a NPC, but I don't prefer it as a protagonist.

Read the books, they explain and cover the training and medical procedures involved in turning the Spartans into Spartans. Halo is much more than just a video game series, to truly understand everything and to get the full back story you have to read the books
#20SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 1:48:28 PM
POINT THREE: ART DIRECTION
Subpoint: The visuals explain something no narrative can.

Art direction is clearly something I have a massive love of - hell, I'm part of a major gaming studio's art team in the UI department! If I didn't have an insane amount of misdirected life skill!

There is a vital point that is the very first point you are taught in character design - the "silhouette gauge". Can you instantly recognise the thing you see solely by it's silhouette, it's shadow?

Did you know that Gears of War versus Halo is an exercise used by my old university in bad versus good art design?

Look at the characters in the Halo world. On the human side, we have humans. There's also one singular huge human. In the alien world there's a small dumpy hunchback creature, a lithe, upright lizard-like creature, and a tall, odd giraffe-monster in the covenant army. When you see an elite, even in pure darkness, it's obviously an Elite.

Now consider the Locusts of Gears of War. They're acne-ridden, reptilian.... men. They are absolutely humans, down to the skin-and-face level.

When you want to stress an alien enemy on an artistic level, you want to exploit non-human physiology. Elite-long necks and claw-hands with raptor legs. Potatoes-with heads and legs grunts.

But Locusts are literally gross-looking humans. It's not great.

Outside of character art, consider the colour influence - greys and greens exploit the human and natural world - so UNSC material has it's own palette. But the Covenant? Absolute anti-nature. Bright blues, definitive purples - obvious, intended - impressive art direction.
---