Brilliant Console Game Design: You Don't Understand Halo (volume one)

#21LooksLikeRainPosted 7/2/2014 1:57:59 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
WARNING, SCOTTISH DISAMBIGUATION EXPLANATION WARNING!

"Diving aboot" means moving around freely, without any overt obstacles causing hindrance.

Terribly sorry to speak so freely. Next time I'll try to keep to Americanised English (Literally, simplified/uncomplicated English).

I was just messing around. I enjoyed the read. However, when you just say dive, I think a lot of people would assume a literal dive, especially when you have run, jump, and sprint in the same sentence.

I thoroughly appreciate that bud. I know I get snarky but you know if a person gets defensive they're passionate, simple as that! I hope to add more in part two.

No worries. I should've clarified as well.

Here's a more correct, unsimplified, traditional translation for you.

I was jus avvin a giggle, mate. Ya shoodve said, "Divin aboot like a wee lil lass," brotha.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#22Laylow12Posted 7/2/2014 2:06:01 PM
I love what you wrote Sig, very good read!

Unfortunately, I've had to part ways with Mater Chief when I found out about what Microsoft was trying to do with my favorite hobby with the XBOX ONE. (Videogames!)

An artist captured the moment I said goodbye in an unforgettable moment in history.

http://i.imgur.com/WtZ0L97.jpg

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#23Laylow12Posted 7/2/2014 2:09:32 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
WARNING, SCOTTISH DISAMBIGUATION EXPLANATION WARNING!

"Diving aboot" means moving around freely, without any overt obstacles causing hindrance.

Terribly sorry to speak so freely. Next time I'll try to keep to Americanised English (Literally, simplified/uncomplicated English).

I was just messing around. I enjoyed the read. However, when you just say dive, I think a lot of people would assume a literal dive, especially when you have run, jump, and sprint in the same sentence.

I thoroughly appreciate that bud. I know I get snarky but you know if a person gets defensive they're passionate, simple as that! I hope to add more in part two.

No worries. I should've clarified as well.

Here's a more correct, unsimplified, traditional translation for you.

I was jus avvin a giggle, mate. Ya shoodve said, "Divin aboot like a wee lil lass," brotha.

SHOTS FIRED!

Also, LOL!

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#24iamdanthamanPosted 7/2/2014 2:27:02 PM
Halo is in many ways a victim of its own success. It was so much better than everything else when it came out that it was inevitable that others would copy it. But not only did Bungie and MS not fight this, they actually encouraged it. Going so far as to release the actual code that governed the controls and aim assist that make shooters much more viable on consoles.

This has contributed to the massive success that the FPS genre has seen over the last decade and a half since Halo:CE was released, and has thus triggered a hipster backlash that happens to everything that gains popularity. "It is popular, therefore it is bad" is the logic used by too many people.

Are there bad FPS games? Yes. Does it suck that Resources that could be going to new, innovative IPs are going into a "sure thing" like re-releasing basically the same CoD game every year? Yes. But Halo, regardless of it's variable quality over the series, is not CoD, either in content or in level of milking, nor can it be held responsible for what greedy developers have done with other FPS franchises.
---
All your base are belong to us
#25Exodus_PrimePosted 7/2/2014 2:28:45 PM
Miiri0 posted...
MicrosoftLover posted...
Halo 5 is going to rock!!!

I agree

---
"Trolls are the dudebros of Gamefaqs. They just don't realize it." - curtland
Xbox One-PlayStation 4-Xbox 360-PS3-Vita
#26DarthUchiha91Posted 7/2/2014 2:30:57 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
POINT THREE: ART DIRECTION
Subpoint: The visuals explain something no narrative can.

Art direction is clearly something I have a massive love of - hell, I'm part of a major gaming studio's art team in the UI department! If I didn't have an insane amount of misdirected life skill!

There is a vital point that is the very first point you are taught in character design - the "silhouette gauge". Can you instantly recognise the thing you see solely by it's silhouette, it's shadow?

Did you know that Gears of War versus Halo is an exercise used by my old university in bad versus good art design?

Look at the characters in the Halo world. On the human side, we have humans. There's also one singular huge human. In the alien world there's a small dumpy hunchback creature, a lithe, upright lizard-like creature, and a tall, odd giraffe-monster in the covenant army. When you see an elite, even in pure darkness, it's obviously an Elite.

Now consider the Locusts of Gears of War. They're acne-ridden, reptilian.... men. They are absolutely humans, down to the skin-and-face level.

When you want to stress an alien enemy on an artistic level, you want to exploit non-human physiology. Elite-long necks and claw-hands with raptor legs. Potatoes-with heads and legs grunts.

But Locusts are literally gross-looking humans. It's not great.

Outside of character art, consider the colour influence - greys and greens exploit the human and natural world - so UNSC material has it's own palette. But the Covenant? Absolute anti-nature. Bright blues, definitive purples - obvious, intended - impressive art direction.

That was the point. The Locusts was always established that way. They're about as Alien as the mutents in X-men. So it's not really necessary in the locust's case.
---
The Delay game is GOTY 2014!
#27LooksLikeRainPosted 7/2/2014 2:41:42 PM
And this continues to be a fantastic read.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#28SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 1:47:42 AM
DarthUchiha91 posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
POINT THREE: ART DIRECTION

But Locusts are literally gross-looking humans. It's not great.

Outside of character art, consider the colour influence - greys and greens exploit the human and natural world - so UNSC material has it's own palette. But the Covenant? Absolute anti-nature. Bright blues, definitive purples - obvious, intended - impressive art direction.

That was the point. The Locusts was always established that way. They're about as Alien as the mutents in X-men. So it's not really necessary in the locust's case.

That's a fair point from a narrative aspect, but in this particular circumstance I was referring solely to the legibility from a gameplay standpoint.

That's not to detract from Gears of War as a game, and your point was a fair one.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#29SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2014 2:10:19 AM
POINT FOUR: DUAL-SCALE SCOPING
Subpoint - The scale and perspective both change dramatically with vehicular combat

This seems like an odd point to raise, but it's an incredibly significant one.

When you think about first-person shooters with vehicles, think about what it changes solely from a gameplay perspective. Think about the hoverbikes in Perfect Dark. Think about the jeeps in Far Cry 2. What changes? Well, the short answer is, you get a speed boost. In some cases, you also lose the ability to conventionally attack, but the real gameplay change is that you can get from A to B a little bit faster.

In Halo, when you enter a vehicle, a lot of things change that you may not be aware of - a lot of things that have more significance than they possibly could have in games prior to it. There's a perspective shift that alters the way you see the battlefield... and alters the battlefield in relation to you. It switches to a third-person perspective, and all movement shifts to the sticks.

You are still in the same battleground as you previously were, but the food chain has changed; Hunters, the huge, hulking beasts that would impose themselves menacingly upon you are now one-hit-kill targets; honeycomb-like catacombs you could manoeuvre around as the chief are now off-limits as the large, open plains become your "new" map. It's the places where the Chief's map and the Warthog's map intersect where the Halo "magic" occurs, and the perspective change means the most.

Movement in, say, a Warthog, is offensive, defensive and supporting - not just a mode of conveyance. Because of the previously-stated offensive "trifecta" of Halo, damage dealt is a battle of both strategy and perseverance, but when in a vehicle a single hit can kill another player, making even a weaponless car a weapon in it's own right. And this is also so significant because of the increased speed and lateral mobility you get from, you know, being in a car, but also because the perspective shift means you get to see a great deal more of the battlefield.

Seeing more means scouting more, meaning vehicular perspective gives a greater sense of recon and discovery (as a vehicle symbolically does in real life). In Halo, the perspective and scope change of the vehicles does not simply give the player a mode of conveyance - it changes the battleground's shape, it lets the player see the world in a new way, it is a unique weapon, a tool, and changes the entire flow of the game's combat.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#30Spetsnaz420Posted 7/3/2014 2:13:10 AM
So we're still pretending to work at ubisoft then?
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic