What makes a great open world game for you?

#11Raddy8Posted 7/3/2014 4:28:26 PM
aheroafake posted...
An open world where there is actually lots of stuff to do and as long as the world isn't static.

This. Things need to be ever changing. I get there are limitations and repetition will happen, but it shouldn't be like 1 out of 5 times I see the same thing.
---
Gamertag: Pickle Swift
3DS friend code: 4339-2579-4895
#12Merc123Posted 7/3/2014 6:13:45 PM
I think it has to be varied and have plenty of stuff to do.

For example Skyrim looks pretty varied. You have alot of differnt landscapes. Tundra, frozen areas, woods, pines, ect. I think that goes a long way instead of having a world that looks the same all over. IMO this was Dead Rising 3. All grey all over kind of boring.

It also has to have enough content to keep it interesting. Just Cause 1 was this. It was a gigantic world but had next to nothing to do imo. It felt like they were making it huge just to see if they could do it.
---
3DS FC 1719-3711-0721
Gamertag - Brokeslimjim v3 / PSN - Brokeslimjim
#13puffnbillys420Posted 7/3/2014 6:34:45 PM
Think fallout 3 with its interesting characters, depth, variety on how you complete missions, very fun to explore environment massive variety of weapons and skills and interesting unregistered side missions you find while just exploring...
---
Psn: DirtyJoeBro XBL: joe1ah feel free to add me
#14POPSHU_FRUITCHUPosted 7/3/2014 9:23:14 PM
Bethesda games have always captured me and immersed me the most in their worlds, Fallout and TES are both amazing games with plenty of varied stuff to do, and many small details.
---
*Opposing Pokemon leans in to your Pokemon*
"Your mom was a slutty Ditto, you have over 100 siblings with 6 different dads"
#15TheCyborgNinjaPosted 7/3/2014 9:24:30 PM
Craziness. Only the Rockstar ones seem to bore me. Love Saints Row and Just Cause.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#16aj4x94Posted 7/3/2014 9:29:34 PM
To be honest, I prefer hub worlds like Deus Ex or Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines in which the worlds aren't as big, but every sidequest feels fairly unique from one another. I love Skyrim and Fallout, and I can spend hours upon hours in those worlds, but the sidequests felt repetitive after awhile. not to mention transversing the same cave/subway tunnel.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#17LooksLikeRainPosted 7/3/2014 9:29:50 PM
Areas I can see early in the game, but can't access them until I progress and get the proper equipment. For example: LOZ: Ocarina of Time.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#18leatheljPosted 7/3/2014 9:32:08 PM
Every ones ideal game sounds like gtav or saints row.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#19aj4x94Posted 7/3/2014 9:34:09 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
Areas I can see early in the game, but can't access them until I progress and get the proper equipment. For example: LOZ: Ocarina of Time.

There's a term for that: Metroidvania. I love games that use this system, since it encourages exploration, and backtracking doesn't seem as tedious.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is by far one of the best examples.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#20kungfuj0Posted 7/4/2014 12:02:29 AM
Randomness.

One of the things I loved most about Saint's Row 2 (that I missed in 3 and 4) is that I could walk outside of one of my safehouses and see a gang of pirates fighting a gang of ninjas who were fighting a gang of ho's who were fighting a gang of pimps, all at the same time, and all completely independent of me! I mean World War 3 could be unfolding right outside my house, and I didn't have to do a damn thing to initiate it! That **** was awesome to me.

Another thing is that goes with my first point is active people within the city/world. I like it when if I am stopped in a car, a guy will randomly try to carjack me, just as I have done a million times myself. Or that I could be walking down a street and some naked guy could run past me with a mob of fools chasing him!

Its just random stuff that makes the city feel more alive. I love seeing the police chase people who aren't me! I love in a game like SR, seeing 2 of the gangs that I am supposed to be fighting fighting each other, independent of me.

If a dev gives me a good-sized city to play in and plenty of randomness within that city, then I am probably going to be a happy camper.
---
Sometimes I honestly think that Online is the WORST thing that ever happened to gaming.