Am I the world's worst Guacamelee fan? Or is the new one really that different?

#1Swan3624Posted 7/4/2014 7:42:19 AM
Too Long; Didn't Read: Am I remembering the original game wrong? Or does this Super Turbo Championship Edition really add this much new content? :D

-----

Such Long; Many Read

Okay, I bought Guacamelee from the PSN a while back while it was on sale. I played probably 8 or 9 hours of it and loved every second of it (except for the controls... but I'll get to that).

When I downloaded the Super Turbo Championship Edition, I was under the impression that it was just like a GOTY version, with the base game, DLC, and maybe minor graphical tweaks.

For the first ten or fifteen minutes, everything seemed pretty much the same. The story is unchanged, the checkpoints are the same, the powers are the same, the levels are the same. But then I started noticing some of the billboards were different. I think what used to be Grumpy Cat is now a billboard for a candle hotel or something. And even a Super Time Force billboard somewhere!

Some of the shop names seem to have changed as well.

Then the game forced me to get to the Desert via a path that would open up in Canal de los Flores (I think). This whole area, and it is a giant one, doesn't seem old to me at all. It feels completely new! Am I just remembering wrong, though? I don't remember going through an area like this in the original version of the game, nor do I remember those fish jumping out of the water.

There are so many new references, too!

Oh, and of course they have so many new costumes. I remember there being like 3 or 4 total in the original game, including the original skin for you and your female counterpart. I believe there was DLC you could complete to get a couple more, though.

Finding silver coins is a great way to unlock the other costumes, rather than having to complete the Inferno and whatnot. And I think the El Intenso thing is brand new. I don't remember that in the base game at all.

Unfortunately even with all these changes, it seems the controls are still the same, which is frustrating. I thought the controls were great up until they introduced the shielded enemies. It seems a little more forgiving in this version, but I still run into issues occasionally where I have to break a yellow shield and the game doesn't register my move at all. You have to be still to activate the yellow move, and when the game gets the action going, it's difficult to imagine standing still long enough to pull the move off.

I don't think it's a matter of skill, either. Logistically, the control scheme needs a ton of work. I wish you could switch powers with the d-pad or left trigger. Even the right stick would be nice. But mapping all the combat powers to one button + a different direction on the movement stick... it really doesn't translate so well to the precision necessary with some of these battles. It is a little unwieldy when dealing with having to use multiple powers to traverse a room, but it can get downright frustrating when the game doesn't recognize which power you meant to do, which can cost you an entire battle if you're not careful.

Again, though, it seems like the game is a little more forgiving in this version. I still run into trouble though.

Am I remembering the original game wrong? Or does this Super Turbo Championship Edition really add this much new content? :D
#2BbrendoshiPosted 7/4/2014 7:54:18 AM(edited)
I had the game maxed within 12 hours, so I can answer some of your questions.

This version of the game adds two new areas to the game, though they were implemented directly into the story. This will be why you aren't remembering them. Unsure about El Intenso

You shouldn't really be having much trouble with the shielded enemies, apart from sometimes it's hard to tell what colour the shield is given the environment.

You really really shouldn't be having any issues with the controls. The way it works is essentially smash bros, and it's just as tight.You can still hit most enemies with a shield, even if it won't hurt them. Instead of stopping to use a skill (which I didn't have to do once, mind), try entering with a normal punch and linking that into the yellow skill. Stops the lack of movement, and keeps the enemies at bay.

Left trigger is useful for air dodges, and Dpad would be incredibly cumbersome when a lot of the time you want to be chaining all 4 of the special attacks in one combo, it would actually make the game a lot harder in the long run.

So yes, it added a bunch of content, enjoy it :)
---
Gamertag/PSN/Steam: Sakori
#3Swan3624(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 7:55:00 AM
Bbrendoshi posted...
I had the game maxed within 12 hours, so I can answer some of your questions.

This version of the game adds two new areas to the game, though they were implemented directly into the story. This will be why you aren't remembering them. Unsure about El Intenso

You shouldn't really be having much trouble with the shielded enemies, apart from sometimes it's hard to tell what colour the shield is given the environment.

You really really shouldn't be having any issues with the controls. The way it works is essentially smash bros, and it's just as tight.You can still hit most enemies with a shield, even if it won't hurt them. Instead of stopping to use a skill (which I didn't have to do once, mind), try entering with a normal punch and linking that into the yellow skill. Stops the lack of movement, and keeps the enemies at bay.

Left trigger has another use later on, and Dpad would be incredibly cumbersome when a lot of the time you want to be chaining all 4 of the special attacks in one combo, it would actually make the game a lot harder in the long run.

So yes, it added a bunch of content, enjoy it :)

That tip about the yellow skill is really nice. Thank you. Is that something I should try with the other skills, as well? Link them after punching the enemies?

That really might make the whole thing much less frustrating for me. Being as that is the only thing I dislike about the game, that is wonderful! :D

Thank you for the input :D
#4BbrendoshiPosted 7/4/2014 7:56:43 AM
Yes, you can chain almost any move together, go visit the combo chicken some more now you have more abilities. He will teach you to chain moves a lot better and it works really well.

Keep an eye out for the knight type enemies with physical shields. If you hit them with the wrong colour they'll counter attack you, and that hurts.
---
Gamertag/PSN/Steam: Sakori
#5LooksLikeRainPosted 7/4/2014 8:12:41 AM(edited)
I thought this game had excellent controls. Buttery smooth. The combos were fluid an easy to pull off. I never once had a move not register correctly.

The only problem I had was sometimes distinguishing the red and green shields, but then again I'm red/green color deficient.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.