EA demo pricing is an error.

#21LooksLikeRain(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 2:32:16 PM(edited)
SoulTrapper posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
I seriously want to know what makes you guys think this wasn't an error.

It's EA, that's pretty much all that's needed for people to believe this could be true.

Says a lot about the companies' reputation and it's well deserved with their history:

https://i.imgur.com/9eUTAcx.png

On top of that, they have talked about paid demos in the past:

http://kotaku.com/5498985/electronic-arts-plans-to-make-you-pay-for-glorified-game-demos

And, adding to that, is the fact that this happened in multiple regions (Australia, UK and US).

EA may be a crappy company, but they're certainly not dumb. If they were going to start charging for demos, they'd go about it with a better strategy. You have to stop assuming the people running EA aren't vastly more intelligent than you; they are. As far as the backlash argument that's been said, I doubt it. The error wasn't active long enough for it to have any real backlash, other than the foil hat crowd.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#22Run_2_the_HillsPosted 7/4/2014 2:30:02 PM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
I seriously want to know what makes you guys think this wasn't an error.

None of is have proof either way. No matter how well constructed an argument may be, without proof it's still just speculation. It genuinely may have been an error. But given EA's ways, you can't seriously be surprised that people aren't just willing to believe whatever they say.

this.

there's never going to be any proof. we'll have both sides calling each other tinfoils and corporate defenders.
#23unclekoolaid73Posted 7/4/2014 3:25:45 PM
lol at the corporate defenders...see I can be a d bag as well.
#24Disflex6Posted 7/4/2014 3:29:19 PM(edited)
:( I want my karma for discovering this. My life could be so much different right now.
---
FC: 3652-0523-4846
XBL: Y2K Frosty
#25RyuuHou25Posted 7/4/2014 3:51:25 PM(edited)
Because how is EA claiming it's an error when they have literally no control over the XB shop? They shouldn't have any knowledge of the inner workings of XBL, and why is an Australia EA rep the one commenting on this?

Also, why does it take up to 24 hours to fix a pricing glitch? None of that makes any damn sense TC.

Furthermore, as people said, it's quite a specific and low number for a so called glitch. Glitches are random and unpredictable. The odds of a glitch causing an irregular price to show up at exactly 4.99 are likely about the same as winning the lottery. Especially on two different listings in the store.

It's all a bit too convenient. But hey, you just believe whatever EA Australia rep guy says like a good automaton.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#26Gillian SeedPosted 7/4/2014 3:56:52 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
Because how is EA claiming it's an error when they have literally no control over the XB shop? They shouldn't have any knowledge of the inner workings of XBL, and why is an Australia EA rep the one commenting on this?

Well, if EA knows they aren't charging for the demo, and they see there is a charge for the demo, then they can tell something is wrong.
#27RyuuHou25Posted 7/4/2014 4:14:15 PM
Gillian Seed posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

Well, if EA knows they aren't charging for the demo, and they see there is a charge for the demo, then they can tell something is wrong.

So can MS. Who remained silent about it. Not to mention this happened in the NA stores, so again, why is an Australia rep commenting on it?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#28Garage_ManPosted 7/4/2014 4:17:56 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
Man, you guys sure are right about the price point. $4.99 is such a weird, uncommon price for something. I don't think I've seen anything priced for that exact amount, unlike the regular, common prices of $59.98, $47.69, and so forth. Such incredibly solid logic. I don't know what I was thinking.

Seriously though, what exactly makes $4.99 a "very specific price point?"

It seems fishy...that's why. If they were going to charge for a demo it seems like 4.99 would be a good price.

I don't have a problem with it so long as there is content there for the money.
#29Gillian SeedPosted 7/4/2014 4:41:52 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

So can MS. Who remained silent about it. Not to mention this happened in the NA stores, so again, why is an Australia rep commenting on it?

I'm saying EA doesn't need any knowledge of the inner workings of Xbox Live to comment on it. If EA knows there shouldn't be a fee for the demo then they would already know something is amiss. It's not odd that EA would comment on it.

As for why an Australian rep is the first to comment on it, all I can do is guess. Maybe there are more Australian reps on hand during this US holiday? The news broke in the middle of last night for the US. Maybe Australian reps commented first because it was the afternoon for the them.
#30LooksLikeRain(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 7:00:02 PM
Garage_Man posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
Man, you guys sure are right about the price point. $4.99 is such a weird, uncommon price for something. I don't think I've seen anything priced for that exact amount, unlike the regular, common prices of $59.98, $47.69, and so forth. Such incredibly solid logic. I don't know what I was thinking.

Seriously though, what exactly makes $4.99 a "very specific price point?"

It seems fishy...that's why. If they were going to charge for a demo it seems like 4.99 would be a good price.

I don't have a problem with it so long as there is content there for the money.

$4.99 seems like a good price to you.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.