EA demo pricing is an error.

#31AceAndJunpeiPosted 7/4/2014 6:01:12 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
Garage_Man posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
Man, you guys sure are right about the price point. $4.99 is such a weird, uncommon price for something. I don't think I've seen anything priced for that exact amount, unlike the regular, common prices of $59.98, $47.69, and so forth. Such incredibly solid logic. I don't know what I was thinking.

Seriously though, what exactly makes $4.99 a "very specific price point?"

It seems fishy...that's why. If they were going to charge for a demo it seems like 4.99 would be a good price.

I don't have a problem with it so long as there is content there for the money.

$4.99 seems like a good price to you.

...and big developers like Capcom who used that exact price for Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, a paid demo with exclusive content.

So yeah, kiss your argument goodbye.
---
You're like a puzzle that can't be solved, some pieces never fill the gaps
#32Laylow12Posted 7/4/2014 6:05:02 PM
I bought em BOTH!!!

Do you think I should play them or will I get perma-banned or something worse!?!

t(@_@)t

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#33IzanamlPosted 7/4/2014 6:26:50 PM
Those of you who think that this was an error are either lying because they're xbots who are loyal to Micro$oft who endorsed this little test, or you just don't have any common sense. This was a test run by EA and M$ to see if they could get us to pay for demos like Konami did with GZ. Disgusting bottom feeders, the lot of them are.
---
The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed.
"Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer..." - Arcana IV The Emperor
#34PsychoDrama1Posted 7/4/2014 6:42:25 PM
Sucker born every minute.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#35RyuuHou25Posted 7/4/2014 6:51:10 PM
Gillian Seed posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Because how is EA claiming it's an error when they have literally no control over the XB shop? They shouldn't have any knowledge of the inner workings of XBL, and why is an Australia EA rep the one commenting on this?

Well, if EA knows they aren't charging for the demo, and they see there is a charge for the demo, then they can tell something is wrong.

So can MS. Who remained silent about it. Not to mention this happened in the NA stores, so again, why is an Australia rep commenting on it?

I'm saying EA doesn't need any knowledge of the inner workings of Xbox Live to comment on it. If EA knows there shouldn't be a fee for the demo then they would already know something is amiss. It's not odd that EA would comment on it.

As for why an Australian rep is the first to comment on it, all I can do is guess. Maybe there are more Australian reps on hand during this US holiday? The news broke in the middle of last night for the US. Maybe Australian reps commented first because it was the afternoon for the them.

Actually, they kind of do, see that's why their statement about it being an error and would be resolved within 24 hours makes no sense. How the f*** would they know that if they don't have access to XBL and its inner workings exactly?

They could certainly guess. But otherwise, it's highly suspect that they would actually know it's an error in a system they have no control, say so, or access to generally.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#36LooksLikeRain(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 7:08:31 PM
AceAndJunpei posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
Garage_Man posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
Man, you guys sure are right about the price point. $4.99 is such a weird, uncommon price for something. I don't think I've seen anything priced for that exact amount, unlike the regular, common prices of $59.98, $47.69, and so forth. Such incredibly solid logic. I don't know what I was thinking.

Seriously though, what exactly makes $4.99 a "very specific price point?"

It seems fishy...that's why. If they were going to charge for a demo it seems like 4.99 would be a good price.

I don't have a problem with it so long as there is content there for the money.

$4.99 seems like a good price to you.

...and big developers like Capcom who used that exact price for Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, a paid demo with exclusive content.

So yeah, kiss your argument goodbye.

It came out as a paid demo, much like MGSGV. My argument stands.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#37AceviperPosted 7/4/2014 7:49:58 PM
what makes the demo pricing look like its not an error is that there was different pricing for different regions all set up in light of the different currencies.

If it was a straight 4.99 across the board, I could maybe believe it.

but you had 4.99 here, 3.99 there etc.
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#38EnclavePosted 7/4/2014 10:16:02 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
You have to stop assuming the people running EA aren't vastly more intelligent than you; they are.

You don't know many executives, do you? They're ordinary people generally.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#39lunaticcorePosted 7/4/2014 10:25:57 PM
Aceviper posted...
what makes the demo pricing look like its not an error is that there was different pricing for different regions all set up in light of the different currencies.

If it was a straight 4.99 across the board, I could maybe believe it.

but you had 4.99 here, 3.99 there etc.

The prices are directly adjusted based on region. That is all done automatically so that all the content doesn't have random price conversions.
---
--- Chilling and Killing 11 (Punching Titans) on youtube.
http://youtu.be/q4p7NCm7fng
#40SoulTrapperPosted 7/4/2014 11:37:48 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...
I seriously want to know what makes you guys think this wasn't an error.

It's EA, that's pretty much all that's needed for people to believe this could be true.

Says a lot about the companies' reputation and it's well deserved with their history:

https://i.imgur.com/9eUTAcx.png

On top of that, they have talked about paid demos in the past:

http://kotaku.com/5498985/electronic-arts-plans-to-make-you-pay-for-glorified-game-demos

And, adding to that, is the fact that this happened in multiple regions (Australia, UK and US).

EA may be a crappy company, but they're certainly not dumb. If they were going to start charging for demos, they'd go about it with a better strategy. You have to stop assuming the people running EA aren't vastly more intelligent than you; they are. As far as the backlash argument that's been said, I doubt it. The error wasn't active long enough for it to have any real backlash, other than the foil hat crowd.

What better way to test the waters than by silently making the demos cost money and wait to see what happens?
You think they'd announce it?
That would be stupid.

Silently changing the prices and claim it was an error or a glitch is the perfect way to test what would happen.

The error was there for almost an entire day and the backlash over it in that limited time span was more than enough to get a clear indication that this was not a good idea.

And there is still the fact that this happened in multiple regions, which makes it unlikely to be a glitch.
So if it was an error, someone must have deliberately added prices to all EA sports demos, which is not something someone would simply do for no reason.