I hope Microsoft never allows the "Pay for Alpha Access" trend on their consoles

#1Charity_DiaryPosted 7/4/2014 8:19:57 PM
80/80

I'm so tired of all these developers allowing you to buy the "alpha" version of their games.

What happened to developers making a complete game, then selling it to the consumer? This ultimately gives the consumer a better product on a definite schedule, as the development company has to plan out the developing schedule and budget their funds accordingly.

With the Paid Alpha Access crap, you're basically paying the developer to make a game. You're paying them to engage in a process, not to provide you with a complete product.

If the developers need more money to complete their game, they can come up with a business plan, get a business loan, work hard to finish the game and make sure it's good, then sell it to the consumer. The Alpha trend allows the developers to essentially get their business loan from consumers without ever having to pay it back...

...and ultimately, some of these games never even get finished because the developers get their money so early on in the process. I've bought access to quite a few alpha builds over the years, and literally none of them have ever been finished.

With current gen consoles focusing so hard on "indie games" (*rolls eyes*), I'm hoping Microsoft doesn't allow the practice of selling alpha builds of games on Xbox One. I would seriously consider abandoning the console altogether.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
---
Charity_Diary
#2TOhasNoRingPosted 7/4/2014 8:21:37 PM
Nice
---
Intel Atom 1.20GHz - 512MB DDR2 SDRAM - Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD - Intel GMA 3600
#3Charity_Diary(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 8:21:56 PM
TOhasNoRing posted...
Nice

You're too kind
---
Charity_Diary
#4Limp_sugarPosted 7/4/2014 8:44:51 PM(edited)
Are we talking early access or what? Buying a game in an alpha state but also being given future updates is fine by me but each person should decide for themselves.

I will say I have not done that myself nor do I participate in kick starters. I believe you will see it on both consoles a lot more.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#5zaster101Posted 7/4/2014 8:41:28 PM
The thing about paid alphas is that you get the full game when released and seeing how they tend to be lower than standard game pricing I see no issue with it, but to each their own.
---
zaster100/psn
grand_kaizer:Zaster that's got to be the first thing you've ever said here that held weight. Granted, in a comic book kinda way.
#6snowboard340Posted 7/4/2014 8:48:19 PM
My thoughts are that i love what Dean Hall and his team are doing with DayZ, and i gladly bought into its early access. It's my only experience with the process, but it's led me in a positive direction towards the idea of it.
#7Charity_Diary(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 8:58:12 PM(edited)
snowboard340 posted...
My thoughts are that i love what Dean Hall and his team are doing with DayZ, and i gladly bought into its early access. It's my only experience with the process, but it's led me in a positive direction towards the idea of it.

I have yet to see any positive changed with DayZ. Zombies still run through walls and kill me within 5 minutes of starting the game up, every time without fail.

And honestly, the game would get "finished" a lot sooner if people would stop giving them money to "update" the game. It is almost going nowhere.
---
Charity_Diary
#8AwayFromHerePosted 7/4/2014 9:05:01 PM
As long as they don't do what Steam did and say that it's okay that a game on early access may never be finished and there is nothing you can do about it as the consumer.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#9snowboard340Posted 7/4/2014 9:38:00 PM
Charity_Diary posted...
snowboard340 posted...

I have yet to see any positive changed with DayZ. Zombies still run through walls and kill me within 5 minutes of starting the game up, every time without fail.

And honestly, the game would get "finished" a lot sooner if people would stop giving them money to "update" the game. It is almost going nowhere.

So your not actually following all of the updates then, gotcha. If you actually kept up with it, you would know they have a new system in works for zombie movement, and they are well into making their own engine to make the game run better to support everything. That is the point of the early access, so you know full well what they are doing during development.
#10SolisPosted 7/5/2014 4:03:11 AM
Charity_Diary posted...
If the developers need more money to complete their game, they can come up with a business plan, get a business loan, work hard to finish the game and make sure it's good, then sell it to the consumer.

All things that get in the way of actually making the game. Pre-purchases and early game access allows the developer to focus on actually creating the game instead. This is a tremendous improvement that allows games that otherwise couldn't even exist to actually be developed and released, AND the consumers have the option of playing the games while they're in development to experience the game before they otherwise would and provide input on the game from their perspective. It's a win-win for everyone except publishers who are no longer able to bully around developers that they otherwise would have been able to.

...and ultimately, some of these games never even get finished because the developers get their money so early on in the process. I've bought access to quite a few alpha builds over the years, and literally none of them have ever been finished.

Can you actually list some of these?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review