What if both Xbox One and PS4 did block used games?

#21TheBonfiniPosted 7/5/2014 9:09:19 AM
Rise of Nintendo and PC master race
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#22gohoanqPosted 7/5/2014 9:09:50 AM
Like it or not the used game market is something that keeps the industry alive.. if Sony and MS blocked the use of used games on their consoles the industry would collapse. Nintendo would do fine since "they don't have third party support anyway" but yeah lol Mobile and PC would rise up completely. Whether people want to admit it or scream "NO!" stores like Gamestop feed the industry greatly by buying new games from publishers to sell to us, the only way they can possibly afford that is because we buy their used games.
---
---
"Bad biscuits make the baker broke bro" - Jake the Dog.
#23kungfuj0Posted 7/5/2014 11:31:56 AM
Let me tell you the power of used games...

Once upon a time, on the original xbox, there was this little game called KOTOR. Now when this game first came out, I didn't really realize exactly what it was. I thought it was just going to be another knock-off Star Wars game, and so I didn't pay much attention to it. As time went on, I saw more and more people here posting about it and whatnot, and at some point, I got interested in it enough to buy it, but I was still unsure, so I bought it used off ebay.

It turns out that I LOVED that game, so much in fact, that I think I played though it 10-15 times. I loved it so much, that I bought KOTOR 2 without a second thought. I also ultimately bought Jade Empire, all of the Mass Effects, and both of the Dragon Ages (will likely get the 3rd as well), and all of this is because I enjoyed the hell out of a game that I bought used.

Had I not found KOTOR 1 used, I may not have bought it at that time. At that time, I knew nothing about it, so I wasn't going to pay full price for it. Of course now, knowing what I know about it, I'd easily pay full price for it, but at that time, I knew nothing.

The bottom line is that used games can help get people who may not necessarily have bought a game otherwise to buy a game. And if you get them to buy the game and they like it enough, they may buy other games that are made by the same company. Bioware may not have made any money off of me with KOTOR 1, but they've made hundreds of dollars off of me with subsequent games because of that KOTOR 1 used game sale. I am guessing that they've come out on the plus side in that deal.
---
Sometimes I honestly think that Online is the WORST thing that ever happened to gaming.
#24Darth StalinPosted 7/5/2014 11:36:14 AM
phineasfool posted...
I'd like to point out that the Xbox One was never going to block used games completely. You would just have to go through select retailers. It would limit your options and you couldn't lend or borrow games though.

I know that they talking about using a fee system do used games like online passes but for the whole game. There weren't much details after that since the policies were reversed soon after.
---
XBL Tag- Cruxis Mithos | PSN - Cruxis_Mithos
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3.... Will get a Wii U when SSB comes out.
#25GateOfDoomPosted 7/5/2014 11:40:03 AM
Would never happen game fly and GameStop would go out of business
#26Foxx3kPosted 7/5/2014 11:41:42 AM
PC blocks used games more than the Xbox One's original policies did and the PC is doing OK.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#27matt-nicklinPosted 7/5/2014 11:48:22 AM
I wouldn't care, I just want a better deal on digital sales, if I'm going to be buying a game digitally and not be able to trade it in, I want a good price for it especially seeing as it will be taking up harder ice space.

For example 30 for a new game digital I would most likely buy, will buy if it's a game I want, but a game I'm not sure about or won't play much no chance I would 30 for let alone 50.

The problem with consoles going digital there isn't anyone for them to compete with so you never see competitive prices.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3827-3643 (Pansear, Larvesta, Braixen)
IGN - Matthew. PM if adding me
#28lunchbox2042Posted 7/5/2014 12:31:49 PM
I'd be skipping them and only have a PC and Wii U.
#29Run_2_the_HillsPosted 7/5/2014 12:37:00 PM
matt-nicklin posted...
I wouldn't care, I just want a better deal on digital sales.

you wouldnt get that.
#30AzaneAzerPosted 7/5/2014 12:56:20 PM
Anti-consumerism costs customers, the more anti-consumer, the more customers, they'd shoot themselves in the foot, because the cost of consoel sales isnt worth the profit of developer support.

Xbox one's initial sales showed how badly trying to put anti-consumerism cost them, the initial numbers that were Virtual Boy level, before they 180'd their entire campaign.