What if both Xbox One and PS4 did block used games?

#31BeefEasterPosted 7/5/2014 1:01:37 PM
wouldn't bother me

I never buy used games anyways
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg
#32ozranPosted 7/5/2014 1:11:59 PM
I stopped buying used games a long time ago and went all digital
---
Forever random, eternally comfy.......no you may not sit on me. RANDOM COUCH!!!
#33IroncondorzPosted 7/5/2014 1:24:29 PM
It is going to happen eventually.

Sony and MS are trying to appease developers and publishers, if they don't they are simply going to lose games to other platforms. Steam, iOS, Android, etc... who are just waiting with open arms and are used game free. There will be games coming out where you HAVE to buy them digitally and you will be presented with a choice, abandon hard copies/used games or not play (those) games. How about physical games that get small print runs (hello Atlus)? What do you think will happen when no new physical copies of games are available, used copies are $200, and digital copies available for $60? You honestly think people will "support used" here?

The fact that you can get used games easily is just a byproduct of publishers needing to flood the market with copies of games at every Walmart, BB, Target, etc... Once big digital distribution backbones are in place, they won't need to print as many physical copies and the entire used game market will fall apart anyway.
#34Limp_sugarPosted 7/5/2014 1:34:36 PM
The industry would be better.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#35AzaneAzerPosted 7/5/2014 1:37:25 PM(edited)
Ironcondorz posted...

Sony and MS are trying to appease developers and publishers, if they don't they are simply going to lose games to other platforms. Steam, iOS, Android, etc... who are just waiting with open arms and are used game free. There will be games coming out where you HAVE to buy them digitally and you will be presented with a choice, abandon hard copies/used games or not play (those) games. How about physical games that get small print runs (hello Atlus)? What do you think will happen when no new physical copies of games are available, used copies are $200, and digital copies available for $60? You honestly think people will "support used" here?

The fact that you can get used games easily is just a byproduct of publishers needing to flood the market with copies of games at every Walmart, BB, Target, etc... Once big digital distribution backbones are in place, they won't need to print as many physical copies and the entire used game market will fall apart anyway.

People still buy rare SNES carts Used used for hundreds of dollars when emulation is free.
#36tadmfpolePosted 7/5/2014 2:19:48 PM
I think we all know the answer to this question. I have bought maybe 1 used game in the last 12 years but I know the world is much bigger than myself.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#37IroncondorzPosted 7/5/2014 7:13:50 PM
AzaneAzer posted...
Ironcondorz posted...

People still buy rare SNES carts Used used for hundreds of dollars when emulation is free.

1. Emulation is illegal.
2. People buy those for collecting purposes.

My point is the biggest detractor to digital downloads seems to be the idea that "The publishers will control prices and games will be $60 forever" yet people don't realize publishers can ALREADY control the prices of games by limiting supply if they wanted. Most simply don't limit supply because they want to flood the market with copies hoping to reach as many people as possible. As a result you have more used games along with price drops due to excess inventory. They can end this tactic anytime they want.

As I am sure you can tell not every publisher does this and new copies of their games retain their price until they go out of print, and afterwards used prices for the games skyrocket, even for junk titles. Publishers can already nullify the used market using limited print runs and making games available at only a few retailers, it's just currently counter productive to do so for most.

The doom scenario to DD is nothing that can't happen with physical copies and DD will not be much different for gamers in the long run. The same people buying new/used/overpriced/sale/old/whatever games will still be the same people buying games tomorrow and the prices will reflect that.
#38aj4x94Posted 7/5/2014 7:29:46 PM
I'd give the finger to both Sony and Microsoft and go full PC gaming.
---
Playing: Half Life 2, Dark Souls 2, Vampire The Masquerade, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 2
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94