Ubisoft: "Players are more open to DLC now."

#11Chocobo115Posted 7/5/2014 2:43:07 PM
Still dislike them and think they show of greed.
---
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
#12SigmaLongshotPosted 7/5/2014 3:01:44 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
I fully support DLC. It's the only reason game prices haven't gone up in ages, yet they are increasing more expensive to make.

You are increasingly becoming one of my most-revered posters on here. You actually have a level head when you comment.

If you appreciate basic arithmetic, you'll appreciate that income must defeat expenditure in order to justify the expenditure's existence. If you get a grand a month, you can't live in a two grand a month apartment. Easy.

In terms of game development it's a bit like this - people expect to pay forty-five quid for a game because that's what they've paid for the past seven years (last generation). The only problem is the expenditure has more than tripled in the field of AAA development. Let me reiterate that - tripled.

Corners are cut. Prices are raised. Content is tacked on. But the truth is simple - profits are getting very, VERY lean. Those DLC packs you hate? They're not bringing the Titanic back up, they're slowing the descent.

Personally, I calculated it, and based on what I get paid (in my low-to-middling position) to develop games, and we're looking at, like, 8,950,000 just for the studio to pay staff for a year, now.

The sheer amount of staff and man-hours it takes to produce a AAA title is astronomical now.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#13Run_2_the_HillsPosted 7/5/2014 3:16:43 PM
while it's true that gaming expenses have gone up there's also a lot more people buying games now compared to back then.
#14toolman129Posted 7/5/2014 3:26:24 PM
It was likely either dlc or more expensive games. It could still end up being both.

At least you have a choice now.
---
GT: NightlordHypn0s
PSN: Saakk
#15phineasfoolPosted 7/5/2014 3:37:37 PM
LooksLikeRain posted...
I fully support DLC. It's the only reason game prices haven't gone up in ages, yet they are increasing more expensive to make.

Agreed. I just look at it as a way to extend the game and if I'm not interested, I don't buy it. DLC is also a good way to keep the artists and whatnot working when their part in the main game is done.

I used to know a guy that worked for Lionhead and he explained it quite well. Basically when a certain point was reached in the making of a game certain people would no longer need to work. DLC allows them to continue working and making a living during those times.
---
XBLive - phineasfool
NNID - phineasfool
#16spacejamjordanzPosted 7/5/2014 4:10:43 PM
AzaneAzer posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...

then explain why game prices dropped from the Atari to Ps2 era? even accounting inflation and the global recessions that took place in the early to mid 2000's

I think that going from cartridges to disks played a part in that. I know for a fact that production became cheaper, but I doubt that tells the whole story.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#17LooksLikeRainPosted 7/5/2014 4:26:52 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...

You are increasingly becoming one of my most-revered posters on here. You actually have a level head when you comment.

If you appreciate basic arithmetic, you'll appreciate that income must defeat expenditure in order to justify the expenditure's existence. If you get a grand a month, you can't live in a two grand a month apartment. Easy.

In terms of game development it's a bit like this - people expect to pay forty-five quid for a game because that's what they've paid for the past seven years (last generation). The only problem is the expenditure has more than tripled in the field of AAA development. Let me reiterate that - tripled.

Corners are cut. Prices are raised. Content is tacked on. But the truth is simple - profits are getting very, VERY lean. Those DLC packs you hate? They're not bringing the Titanic back up, they're slowing the descent.

Personally, I calculated it, and based on what I get paid (in my low-to-middling position) to develop games, and we're looking at, like, 8,950,000 just for the studio to pay staff for a year, now.

The sheer amount of staff and man-hours it takes to produce a AAA title is astronomical now.

I hear you, man. It's common sense. I like to use the cheeseburger analogy for DLC haters. They've been buying cheeseburgers for a dollar. Now they want bacon, fries, and a soda with the cheeseburger....but still want to pay just a dollar for it.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#18Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 7/5/2014 4:30:56 PM
that depends on who makes the DLC. rockstar and bethesda games DLC are awesome and the price matches the content. Ubi on the other hand...
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."
#19Foxx3kPosted 7/5/2014 4:32:57 PM
UltimatesTruth posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-says-players-more-open-to-dlc-now-are-you/1100-6420924/

I can only hope this company goes bankrupt.

"I'm afraid of the future!"
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#20zerooo0Posted 7/5/2014 4:34:25 PM
UltimatesTruth posted...
AzaneAzer posted...
ubisoft is the 2nd most out of touch dev there is, They still think Games For Windows Live 2.0 (U-play) is a great thing.

Only EA is worse.

They are at the same level of evilness, I really wish EA and Ubisoft go bankrupt.

Your know how stupid you sound? EA and Ubisoft provides tons of jobs to hundreds to thousands of people. I would never want either to go bankrupt even if I disagree with their views.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton