Why do people see games as waste but not tv or movies?

#1njkking01Posted 7/7/2014 8:08:49 AM
Okay so I was hear people tell others that its waste and they need to grow and stop playing video games but, thoses people saying that games are waste mostly spend thier time on facebook or watching tv. I dont get video games are childish and facebook isnt? I mean if they are like a shut in sit thier and play games 24/7 then they should get thier life on track and then play. I just dont get it.
#2TomoEK9Posted 7/7/2014 8:19:47 AM
Movies and TV shows are artistic mediums where one can be creative and sometimes even informative.

Video games are toys that only kids play with.
#3Reflex-ArcPosted 7/7/2014 8:21:50 AM
Humans are judgmental animals.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#4PumpeduPosted 7/7/2014 8:23:57 AM
Video games are the devil Bobby Boucher!
#5kungfuj0Posted 7/7/2014 8:29:17 AM
It's the "games are toys" thing.

When you say the word "video game", a lot of people start to think of a 13 year old boy siting in a dark room somewhere with his eyes glued to a tv and who is surrounded by chips and orange soda.

What those people don't realize is that the average age of the game-playing person today is in the high 20s, according to an article I read a couple years ago. They don't realize that while games may have started off as a children's toy, those games have grown up with those children.

Now it is a hobby that is as respectable as any other hobby. It is a billion dollar/year industry. Colleges now offer classes that are geared towards gaming, and there are even a few who have majors that are dedicated to gaming.

Basically it is just those people's ignorance and bias speaking. They act like that because they either just don't know how big this thing has gotten, or they are too set in their ways to ever acknowledge it.
---
Sometimes I honestly think that Online is the WORST thing that ever happened to gaming.
#6DoggiesLipstickPosted 7/7/2014 8:30:25 AM
njkking01 posted...
Okay so I was hear people tell others that its waste and they need to grow and stop playing video games but, thoses people saying that games are waste mostly spend thier time on facebook or watching tv. I dont get video games are childish and facebook isnt? I mean if they are like a shut in sit thier and play games 24/7 then they should get thier life on track and then play. I just dont get it.

Okay, I think there is a difference. Playing games (Many of which are 18 meaning you SHOULD be 18 to play them) is fine. It gets childish and cringe worthy when when i hear Men in there 30/40's arguing with 12 year old's telling each other how they've nailed each others Mums?!
I personally think more should be done to stop under 18's playing 18+ games (Or at least ban them from chat) because i hate playing COD hearing some little boy who sounds like a little girl squealing down the mike telling me how he's going to rape my dog because i owned him. For me gaming is all about the experience and the game and don't get me wrong the more mature under 18's don't bother me at all. "

Gaming for me is far more stimulating than watching TV. But i guess you don't shout childish things at the TV as you do the gamin.
#7njkking01(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 8:42:16 AM
DoggiesLipstick posted...
njkking01 posted...

Okay, I think there is a difference. Playing games (Many of which are 18 meaning you SHOULD be 18 to play them) is fine. It gets childish and cringe worthy when when i hear Men in there 30/40's arguing with 12 year old's telling each other how they've nailed each others Mums?!
I personally think more should be done to stop under 18's playing 18+ games (Or at least ban them from chat) because i hate playing COD hearing some little boy who sounds like a little girl squealing down the mike telling me how he's going to rape my dog because i owned him. For me gaming is all about the experience and the game and don't get me wrong the more mature under 18's don't bother me at all. "

Gaming for me is far more stimulating than watching TV. But i guess you don't shout childish things at the TV as you do the gamin.

You got some valid points there alot of immature gamers but, alot are mature and some buy games for just the story like me. I agree if your not old enough to buy a rated m game you shouldnt play it. Thank God theres a mute button though!
#8njkking01(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 8:44:17 AM
kungfuj0 posted...
It's the "games are toys" thing.

When you say the word "video game", a lot of people start to think of a 13 year old boy siting in a dark room somewhere with his eyes glued to a tv and who is surrounded by chips and orange soda.

What those people don't realize is that the average age of the game-playing person today is in the high 20s, according to an article I read a couple years ago. They don't realize that while games may have started off as a children's toy, those games have grown up with those children.

Now it is a hobby that is as respectable as any other hobby. It is a billion dollar/year industry. Colleges now offer classes that are geared towards gaming, and there are even a few who have majors that are dedicated to gaming.

Basically it is just those people's ignorance and bias speaking. They act like that because they either just don't know how big this thing has gotten, or they are too set in their ways to ever acknowledge it.

Yeah I think gaming has come along way and is getting better but, theres still people who hate on it. What makes me mad is that there are people play on thier phones and facebook but, call gamers immature.
#9the_old_daysPosted 7/7/2014 9:03:20 AM
Don't let any narcissistic, smartphone/internet addicted 21st century livin' ass hat try and tell you that you're wasting your time while they "utilize" theirs. **** em, the hypocrites that they are.
---
Unus dies noctesque omnium dolor risus et pugna, et quod peto, omnes? Non autem odium, et faciemus.
#10AWarAmp84Posted 7/7/2014 9:11:33 AM
the_old_days posted...
Don't let any narcissistic, smartphone/internet addicted 21st century livin' ass hat try and tell you that you're wasting your time while they "utilize" theirs. **** em, the hypocrites that they are.

Amen.
---
Toronto Maple Leafs fan for life. Favourite game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.