Why do people see games as waste but not tv or movies?

#41MixorzPosted 7/7/2014 8:05:53 PM
It boils down to how it is perceived. As others have stated, when people hear video games, they think back to kids playing Atari and Nintendo. It's perceived as a kids hobby, not realizing that video games have come a long way in all the years since. It doesn't help that many TV shows and movies don't really show gaming in a realistic view. It's usually kids screaming at the top of their lungs while 80s era beeps and boops come out of the TV.

In the end, it's all just ignorance. Many people who think gamers are wasting time are the same ones constantly uploading selfies on Facebook or Instagram, or binge-watch entire seasons of shows on Netflix, or spend hours watching sports every day.
---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
#42bipots2Posted 7/12/2014 11:09:16 AM
they're secretly jealous that they don't have any games to play. also, most people i know who say that did not grow up with video games so they just assume its a childs toy and we will grow out of it someday, so they don't really understand
Ironically, when i was a kid and had time to play video games, i never really did. Now that I'm grown and don't have time, all i want to do is play them.
#43lunchbox2042Posted 7/12/2014 11:10:20 AM
I find tv and movies to be a waste because you can't really interact with them. You just sit there twiddling your thumbs while you watch them.
#44TehPwnzererPosted 7/12/2014 11:17:34 AM
Because up until very recently, games were toys. They had no other purpose than to try and beat some imaginary high score. It was a worthless hobby to partake in. Movies and television on the other hand had the power to elicit emotional responses by telling stories, which is something the human race has been doing since the beginning of time. It's the reason books are revered so highly. They're stories written by humans to teach and inform of the next generation of the world they live in and how people operate.

I find that that's changing however with games that are coming out today. More and more people are starting to realize that games have just as much, if not more power to open up the imagination and put people into morally compromising scenarios than film and literature can. Before you had Super Mario. Now you have the Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid making thematic statements about existentialism and political strife.
#45SupaflyGibsonPosted 7/12/2014 11:23:27 AM
njkking01 posted...
Okay so I was hear people tell others that its waste and they need to grow and stop playing video games but, thoses people saying that games are waste mostly spend thier time on facebook or watching tv. I dont get video games are childish and facebook isnt? I mean if they are like a shut in sit thier and play games 24/7 then they should get thier life on track and then play. I just dont get it.

Its very hypocritical TC I agree.
---
gt: For Spartaa
#46PlagueRevenantPosted 7/12/2014 11:29:20 AM
Video game consoles are for children. I like to expand myself intellectually through the artistic vision that is Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and revel in the tranquil, zen-like nature of Farmville.
---
Nintendo I.D.: DreadSteel
3DS Friend Code: 3754-6931-7537
#47kayoticdreamzPosted 7/12/2014 7:58:15 PM
NeoMonk posted...
Videogames to the masses fall into the same category as Anime to westerners.

They see a cartoon and say "children stuff"
Without ever listening to it's content or trying to understand what it says.

this about sums it up.

also I love how these same bums revel in their reality TV, people magazine, and of course facebook and twitter updates and selfies. I think I'd kill myself if I devolved into constant selfies and honey boo boo reruns.