Do exclusives really matter? According to this list of top pre-orders...

#21Reflex-ArcPosted 7/8/2014 8:52:03 AM(edited)
AbstraktProfSC2 posted...

wtf how is it stupid to preorder a game? I see no downsides.

The most common response I see to questions like this are financial. That's $5.00 out of your account that's not collecting interest between preorder date and release date that is now in the retailer's account doing just that. Sure, the interest you would collect on that fiver over the few months would be arguably miniscule, but when you look at the amount of preorders placed, the average retailer is actually making a good deal of money off the gaming collective with the practice. Enough so that they are able pay developers to license "exclusive" bonuses that are often really just content that's already on the disk and (presumably) would have been regular in-game content prior to the concept of revenue generation by preorder.

Combine this with the practice of retailers such as GameStop purposely shipping only enough to fill preorders, with very few extra, to their stores on release day to artificially inflate the "importance" of preordering despite wide availability of a title, and it's easy to see why some gamers will have grown sour of the concept.

Like I stated earlier, I don't preorder often. The convenience of Amazon is a big draw for me when I do, though, as you are not charged prerelease. Sometimes I'll place a preorder on a niche exclusive that I think will have a short production run and a relatively limited release. Even that, though, is becoming almost extinct in these days of instant digital distribution. :(
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#22LooksLikeRainPosted 7/8/2014 8:58:26 AM
Exclusives matter to me. The graphical difference in multiplats is negligible, so the console that has the exclusives I want to play is the console I'd be more inclined to purchase.

It's not just the exclusives that get factored in to my decision, but they are something I consider. It was one of the reasons I traded in my PS4 for an Xbox One. They both run the multiplats I want to play without a noticeable difference in visuals or image quality unless they're running side by side. Even then the disparity is practically nonexistent. Along with controller, OS, and online service, exclusives were a big reason for making the switch.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#23yiangaruuugaPosted 7/8/2014 8:58:57 AM
Do preorders even matter now? Most people only preordered Destiny for the beta access. I can't recall the last game that sold out everywhere due to demand.
---
GT: xFrostxPhoenix | PSN: xFrostxPhoenix
GSU Comp Sci C/O 2015 | XB1;360;PS4;N64;SNES
#24BaronVladzPosted 7/8/2014 8:59:17 AM
AbstraktProfSC2 posted...
wtf how is it stupid to preorder a game? I see no downsides

Cartman's take on pre-ordering games really hit the mark in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV69DyOuzbE

It made sense back in the days when popular retail games would potentially sell out on release day, but given how many copies they print nowadays, I've never seen any games sell out in the last few years, even hugely hyped games like Watch Dogs and Mario Kart 8. Some companies try to make it more tempting by giving you access to limited DLCs and rewards, but none of those seem to be worth throwing money at unfinished/unreviewed games.
#25Anarchy179Posted 7/8/2014 9:02:45 AM(edited)
Considering a lot more games are released as multiplatform than exclusives, no duh most preordered games will be multiplatform. The same game can be listed multiple times for different platforms even.

Unlock the power of your brain.
---
FC: 4382-2047-3511
#26StrongBlackVinePosted 7/8/2014 9:14:43 AM
LooksLikeRain posted...
Exclusives matter to me. The graphical difference in multiplats is negligible, so the console that has the exclusives I want to play is the console I'd be more inclined to purchase.

It's not just the exclusives that get factored in to my decision, but they are something I consider. It was one of the reasons I traded in my PS4 for an Xbox One. They both run the multiplats I want to play without a noticeable difference in visuals or image quality unless they're running side by side. Even then the disparity is practically nonexistent. Along with controller, OS, and online service, exclusives were a big reason for making the switch.

No one cares.
#27LooksLikeRainPosted 7/8/2014 12:46:26 PM
StrongBlackVine posted...
LooksLikeRain posted...

No one cares.

Yeah...except the topic title question is, "Do exclusives matter?"
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#28CyDetrakDPosted 7/9/2014 9:11:00 PM
Tech9 posted...
All this shows is how stupid people are. Why would you pre-order any of these games? It's not like you can't just walk right into a store and buy them day 1 or heck you'll probably be able to download them digitally at 12 midnight.

LOL@someone saying Sunset Overdrive is a DR3 clone. Must be pretty jelly over not having either of those games, because both look great.

I used to preorder on Amazon since it was no tax and free shipping. Now its taxxed and going from 80 a year to 100. I joined Best Buy Gamer Unlocked for 60 and will be paying 43.00 for new releases it's a no brainer.

Exclusive games matter otherwise I'd be fine with just owning a Ps4 and WiiU. I got my Xb1 for Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct for now and look forward to Quantam Break and eventually Gears of War. Titanfall was a reason many people here own a Xb1 so yes exclusives matter.
---
Steam, Xbox 360/1, Ps3/4, WiiU, Origin, Battlenet Username = CyDetrakD (all across the board)