Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop Destiny

#51avanentPosted 7/8/2014 2:47:29 PM
MachineZed posted...
skermac posted...
Plzstopflaming posted...
skermac posted...
$500 million is total budget, marketing and everything. They need to to make way more than $500 million to make a profit and for this game to be a success.

Activision Blizzard Inc. is spending $500 million to market and develop the game.

They need to make 500 million in 10 years to break even. Not at release. And again you aren't including DLC/Microtransactions/collectors editions. Or anything.

Name one game that makes money 10 years after release? just one! In a year only used resellers will be profitting.

I believe WoW and Everquest are 2 games 10 years old and still making money. At least I am pretty sure Everquest is still online. I know WoW is but unsure when it came out. Then perhaps EQ2 but again not sure if it is 10 years old yet.

WoW will be 10 this November.

FFXI is still in production too, which hit 12 this past May for the original Japanese PS2 release; available for 11 years as of this October in the west (debuting on Windows in the west).

Both are still profitable, WoW obviously more so, as Blizzard can sell millions of anything they put their name on. Both are also still having new content produced. Not sure if the original EQ is going.
#52skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 3:25:58 PM
MicrosoftLover posted...
This game is completely overhyped!

I played the Alpha and watched every single trailer and video out there and it's not something I will be spending my hard earned cash on!

When will people see this? It makes me really upset that this kind of money is going into Destiny when it could've gone into Titanfall.

AND even still Titanfall has more replay value than Destiny. Wait and see.

---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#53avanentPosted 7/8/2014 7:28:43 PM
Depends on your definitions of replay value. Considering I find story telling the most interesting aspect of a game, there's barely even any initial value in Titanfall to me.
#54XechsPosted 7/9/2014 4:26:56 AM
skermac posted...
Name one game that makes money 10 years after release? just one! In a year only used resellers will be profitting.

Dark Age of Camelot
Guild Wars/factions/nightfall
Everquest 2
Everquest
Lineage 2
Asheron's Call
PlanetSide
FFXI
WoW
ROSE Online
Disney's Toontown Online
Conquer Online
EVE Online
*some are 9-15 here but this was off top of head

Plus you have games going at 7 years like:
lords of rings online
Scions of Fate
PotC
Shaiya
Starquest etc

So if anything MMO is the one genre that can do it. MMO is a $15 billion/year industry alone (21% of all game sales in 2013), where all console games was $23 billion in 2013 ($2.4 bn wii u only). Regardless MMO work because they are digital. They cut the middle man or are F2P and cosmetics can be bought. Destiny will have a hard time because it's on console which are still very physical oriented minded.

Still DCU, warframe and FFXIV have been fairly mild success on consoles, still very PC sided. But that's the thing all other games like the ones mentioned and stuff like the crew, Division, Planetside 2 etc are also on PC and consoles. Destiny is very ambitious in only going after console crowd.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#55skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 6:16:32 AM
I should have been more specific, how many console games that came out 10 years ago are still making big money? If Destiny rakes in $50 million in 2024 from console gamers, 10 years from now, I will buy everyone on the Xbox forum the game of their choice.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive