My opinion on why I dislike achievements.

#1Rome218Posted 7/8/2014 2:14:39 PM
I got a pretty good gamerscore, 59k and close to 60. Most of that is playing every game and they just came over the last.. 7 years?

I only 1000'ed 2 games. One was FE3R, which I still have and never want to play after that.

The next is Wolfenstein. I love that game and it was really easy to 1000, I did not go to far out of my way the 2nd play through.

Now I started working on Sniper Elite. I did so much diary collecting, card collecting, and that sucks. The cool achievements with the sniping nest and getting a long range in one a stage was bad ass, and let me get in good positions to take out a lot of enemies.

Other than that, it became boring. Watching youtube videos to find out where diaries are, so I can get an achievement telling me I collected diaries? The main character is a soldier, he collected souls for people's makers, and here I am looking for stupid cards and books so an achievement thing will show up.

I am done with this. It makes the game to a chore and causes me to get burnt out til you ever want to play it again. Time adding(not fun all the time), replay killer.

What do ya'll think?
#2SigmaLongshotPosted 7/8/2014 2:19:53 PM
Achievements are double-edged, certainly, my friend.

I think it's a design thing. For one, I dislike reading that a game features difficulty-related achievements. Inherently, I act on that and start a game on RIDICULOUS difficulty and realise, I'm not that great of a gamer, and that I am really having a dire time trying to get through the game on the hardest difficulty possible.

Suddenly, I'm not enjoying what could be an exciting, engaging narrative, because I'm focusing too hard on finding all the medals and getting eighty headshots on NUTTER DIFFICULTY.

That said, achievements, if done right, really lengthen a game. It can be something stupid like things you'd never think of (kill loads of terrorists with a massive bronze globe statue in Crackdown) to playing through a game you enjoyed a second time with SUPER POWERS.

Like I said - both bad and good - it's completely dependent on both the designer and the player.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#3BansDontWorkPosted 7/8/2014 2:29:14 PM
Whil I enjoyed collecting Achievements on the 360, I made a mindful decision to not bother with them on the Xbox One. I've got over 75K and that gives me my little discount when buying things on the Marketplace. I have no real need for them any more going forward.
---
I feast on that control method you call Karma.
#4crucialPosted 7/8/2014 3:09:12 PM
I love them,my only beef is the collectathons every game has now,it's ok for rpg type games and maybe a platformer or 2 but it get out of hand when CoD and FPS action type games have them,nothing screams action when you stop shooting to go around a corner of the map to find some file or laptop you need to collect smh,and games like WD and Asscreed are taking into a hole new level that is just insane,these games are based around collecting stuff.
#5LooksLikeRainPosted 7/8/2014 3:10:58 PM
It is, in fact, possible to only go after the achievements you want to get.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#6x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 7/8/2014 3:12:19 PM
I gave up on achievements almost 2 years ago. I was doing things that were tedious rather than enjoying my gaming time. If an Achievement pops than that's great but otherwise I'll just enjoy my games.

The worst achievements are online achievements. I can't stand when my team loses because someone is trying to snipe for an achievement and he goes 0-15. :/
#7Jiggy101011Posted 7/8/2014 3:13:16 PM
On my first play through I will just play the game and won't even look at the achievement list. The 2nd play through I will go back through and collect the achievements I didn't collect the first time.

That being said I have only 1000/1000 about 6 games out of my 70+ collection. Depending on my mood I will go after collectibles, but the moment it starts feeling like a chore I will move on. I have 1000/1000 Assassins Creed 1 and 2 and I didn't mind going after the flags/feathers because I enjoy the parkour aspect of the series.

I never go for MP achievements, they end up frustrating me.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
Currently Playing: Watch Dogs, The Last Of Us, Assassins Creed Revelations
#8TBONE_OGPosted 7/8/2014 3:16:58 PM
Love achievements. But yes, the "collect" achievements are stupid. Devs need to stop putting these in, or make it really easy with in game support.
---
Always O.G.
#9AceAndJunpeiPosted 7/8/2014 3:49:02 PM
Wait, what's this about getting a discount for having over 75k GS? I have 78k and have never noticed a discount.

I want a discount! Tell me more!
---
You're like a puzzle that can't be solved, some pieces never fill the gaps
#10LooksLikeRainPosted 7/8/2014 3:51:55 PM
AceAndJunpei posted...
Wait, what's this about getting a discount for having over 75k GS? I have 78k and have never noticed a discount.

I want a discount! Tell me more!

http://rewards.xbox.com/vip/
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.