Eurogamer--Microsoft's PR blunders caused Sony to re-write E3 PS4 script

#21EnclavePosted 7/10/2014 8:49:26 AM
I can't believe there are still people who believe the conspiracy theories. Sony when they revealed the PS4 said they were using the same DRM as on their previous consoles (that it was up to the publisher what they wanted to do) it's clear Sony at no point changed their DRM plans due to the Xbone. So stop saying crap like "we'll never know
", because we do know.

The only thing we'll never know is if they ever gave it consideration before the reveal and to that I'd say they probably at the very least considered it for a moment before deciding consumers would react too negatively.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#22Gillian SeedPosted 7/10/2014 9:50:59 AM
ExempliGratia posted...
So Sony purposely was going to make their e3 conference unclear or something? I don't get how making sure it was clear would be something caused by Microsoft.

Let's say Microsoft didn't announce their DRM a week before E3 in that blog post. There would be no reason for Sony to mention the PS4 not doing that kind of new DRM because DRM-wise the consoles were staying the way they always had been.

But since Microsoft did announce new DRM suddenly the PS4 not having that DRM became a huge plus for them to mention. I don't think making things clear was the main focus. Putting it that way was just a kinder way for Andrew House to explain what happened. As opposed to saying they went for the jugular.

On a different note, changing the script wouldn't have been a last minute thing. Microsoft did not mention the DRM at their E3 press conference. Again, Microsoft put up a blog post about it a week before E3. Plenty of time for Sony to see the backlash, and add shots to their own conference.
#23uniquebadgerPosted 7/10/2014 9:55:31 AM
I would say that if true it was a very smart business move.
#24orestes1981Posted 7/10/2014 2:35:30 PM
Enclave posted...
I can't believe there are still people who believe the conspiracy theories. Sony when they revealed the PS4 said they were using the same DRM as on their previous consoles (that it was up to the publisher what they wanted to do) it's clear Sony at no point changed their DRM plans due to the Xbone. So stop saying crap like "we'll never know
", because we do know.

The only thing we'll never know is if they ever gave it consideration before the reveal and to that I'd say they probably at the very least considered it for a moment before deciding consumers would react too negatively.

Xbox One fanboys are upset that the PS4 is running away with this generation....

It is like Broncos fans talking trash about the Seahawks before the Super Bowl, during the Super Bowl, and after the Super Bowl.
---
Cappin' thine enemy is not exactly something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#25Savage_forlifePosted 7/12/2014 8:31:04 AM
Sorry but I don't agree. Sony's policy on DRM was not clear after the reveal and before E3. They had even had copyrights for some kind of embedded copy protection that would only allow a disk to work on one system only ( possibly for their then next gen system ). Michael Pachter said a Sony exec was with him during MS's E3 conference and said they would be very happy to under sell the the XBox one by $100 if possible but the lowest they could go was $399. When MS announced at $499 the sony camera was taken out of the equation and the $399 PS4 was born. They shot the video clip showing how to share or trade a game backstage at E3 after MS's conference. Sony changed a few speeches as well which is shown by the direct jabs taken at MS E3 statements.

What Sony did was brilliant and the 8.4 million PS4s versus 5 million XBox Ones shows that. They whipped the E3 attendees into a frenzy. That is the most enthusiasm I have ever seen at an E3 press conference. The idiots were still cheering when they slipped in the fact that you had to pay to play online multiplayer ( something Sony fans have been condemning since the start of XBox Live ). To me Sony said " You know what we are going to do new for the PS4 and PSN? ....Nothing!... except make you pay to play online! " and the crowd roars " Sony is for the gamers!"

Sony was planning on doing exactly the same thing MS was but after seeing the reaction
( and the IDIOTS at MS always insist on going first ) did a 180. But I am glad they did!

I own all three next gen systems and love them all.
---
If all you have to say is something IGNORANT, then keep it to yourself. On the Internet it's contagious!
#26Kazuya_80Posted 7/13/2014 2:38:27 AM
orestes1981 posted...
Enclave posted...
", because we do know.

Xbox One fanboys are upset that the PS4 is running away with this generation....

It is like Broncos fans talking trash about the Seahawks before the Super Bowl, during the Super Bowl, and after the Super Bowl.

doesnt make a difference to 3rd party games so..what's that your saying again ?
#27dnmtPosted 7/13/2014 2:43:19 AM
Savage_forlife posted...
Sorry but I don't agree. Sony's policy on DRM was not clear after the reveal and before E3. They had even had copyrights for some kind of embedded copy protection that would only allow a disk to work on one system only ( possibly for their then next gen system ). Michael Pachter said a Sony exec was with him during MS's E3 conference and said they would be very happy to under sell the the XBox one by $100 if possible but the lowest they could go was $399. When MS announced at $499 the sony camera was taken out of the equation and the $399 PS4 was born. They shot the video clip showing how to share or trade a game backstage at E3 after MS's conference. Sony changed a few speeches as well which is shown by the direct jabs taken at MS E3 statements.

What Sony did was brilliant and the 8.4 million PS4s versus 5 million XBox Ones shows that. They whipped the E3 attendees into a frenzy. That is the most enthusiasm I have ever seen at an E3 press conference. The idiots were still cheering when they slipped in the fact that you had to pay to play online multiplayer ( something Sony fans have been condemning since the start of XBox Live ). To me Sony said " You know what we are going to do new for the PS4 and PSN? ....Nothing!... except make you pay to play online! " and the crowd roars " Sony is for the gamers!"

Sony was planning on doing exactly the same thing MS was but after seeing the reaction
( and the IDIOTS at MS always insist on going first ) did a 180. But I am glad they did!

Huge policies like that don't change in the span of a day or two. I'm sure Sony considered DRM at some point but chose not to go through with it long before the PS4's reveal. They simply made all the right choices this gen.
#28blacklabelicePosted 7/13/2014 2:53:22 AM
Sony's policies did not change at any time, House stressed, but it had become clear Sony would do well to state its position more carefully.

"All it did was make us come out and state very clearly 'the status quo has been good to us, consumers like the choice and the balance that achieves'," he concluded. "It wasn't a shift in strategy, it was just a feeling of a necessity to go out and communicate something that we just took advantage of."
#29kayoticdreamzPosted 7/13/2014 3:32:25 AM
Savage_forlife posted...

this. everyone seems to forget this. I too remember sony was heavily rumored to have similar DRM as the original xbox one announcement.

if anything I give Microsoft credit.....all gamers were worried about new DRM and the used game market, we all smelled something was up, but Microsoft was the only one with enough balls to try it out. Sony seeing the beating Microsoft got within hours changed course and said "hey yea guys we love you we will never do that......oh and by the way you now have to pay for PSN.....BUT WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!"

and people ate it up.

Microsoft has sense *gasp* been listening to fan requests. if anything Microsoft is proving over and over in the past year they will listen to the fans.

Sonys E3 wasn't amazing.....all it was, was to attack Microsoft. that's basically all it was. it was nothing but one big round of the internet blowing up and sony saying "we're not like Microsoft"....all the while people were on their windows computers whining online about Microsoft.....oh the irony
#30SigmaLongshotPosted 7/13/2014 3:42:19 AM
kayoticdreamz posted...
Savage_forlife posted...

this. everyone seems to forget this. I too remember sony was heavily rumored to have similar DRM as the original xbox one announcement.

if anything I give Microsoft credit.....all gamers were worried about new DRM and the used game market, we all smelled something was up, but Microsoft was the only one with enough balls to try it out. Sony seeing the beating Microsoft got within hours changed course and said "hey yea guys we love you we will never do that......oh and by the way you now have to pay for PSN.....BUT WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!"

and people ate it up.

Microsoft has sense *gasp* been listening to fan requests. if anything Microsoft is proving over and over in the past year they will listen to the fans.

Sonys E3 wasn't amazing.....all it was, was to attack Microsoft. that's basically all it was. it was nothing but one big round of the internet blowing up and sony saying "we're not like Microsoft"....all the while people were on their windows computers whining online about Microsoft.....oh the irony

Exactly. Sony's tone about DRM and copy-protection was, especially in the lead-up to E3, very hush-hush, and some of the tweets from insider PR noted that the Sony reps were "like stock brokers on the trading floor" during the Microsoft conference, darting back and forth from the announcement floor.

Then, when Sony's conference began, it was quite literally argumentum ad hominem - an attack on Microsoft directly. "Console will play used games" being a slide - why was that there, presented in the method it was, with a pause for dramatic effect and a confident chuckle? To send a message, rather than inform. In fact, at least four or five times during their conference, instead of bigging themselves up, they were nudging the ribs of Microsoft.

But hey, it worked, and it worked well - people lapped it up and clearly, Microsoft still hasn't shaken some of the (incorrect) stigma it still lugs around with it.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/