Eurogamer--Microsoft's PR blunders caused Sony to re-write E3 PS4 script

#31InjusticeRebornPosted 7/13/2014 3:43:28 AM
dnmt posted...
Savage_forlife posted...
Sorry but I don't agree. Sony's policy on DRM was not clear after the reveal and before E3. They had even had copyrights for some kind of embedded copy protection that would only allow a disk to work on one system only ( possibly for their then next gen system ). Michael Pachter said a Sony exec was with him during MS's E3 conference and said they would be very happy to under sell the the XBox one by $100 if possible but the lowest they could go was $399. When MS announced at $499 the sony camera was taken out of the equation and the $399 PS4 was born. They shot the video clip showing how to share or trade a game backstage at E3 after MS's conference. Sony changed a few speeches as well which is shown by the direct jabs taken at MS E3 statements.

What Sony did was brilliant and the 8.4 million PS4s versus 5 million XBox Ones shows that. They whipped the E3 attendees into a frenzy. That is the most enthusiasm I have ever seen at an E3 press conference. The idiots were still cheering when they slipped in the fact that you had to pay to play online multiplayer ( something Sony fans have been condemning since the start of XBox Live ). To me Sony said " You know what we are going to do new for the PS4 and PSN? ....Nothing!... except make you pay to play online! " and the crowd roars " Sony is for the gamers!"

Sony was planning on doing exactly the same thing MS was but after seeing the reaction
( and the IDIOTS at MS always insist on going first ) did a 180. But I am glad they did!

I own all three next gen systems and love them all.

Huge policies like that don't change in the span of a day or two. I'm sure Sony considered DRM at some point but chose not to go through with it long before the PS4's reveal. They simply made all the right choices this gen.

Right, so in one breath the Xbox One can be mocked for the line "DRM isn't like a switch, I can't just switch it off" (or whatever the infamous line was), which it was in the end, and in the next, the same can't be applied to a Sony console?
---
A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. What about my PlayStation?
#32dnmtPosted 7/13/2014 3:59:01 AM(edited)
InjusticeReborn posted...
dnmt posted...
Savage_forlife posted...
Sorry but I don't agree. Sony's policy on DRM was not clear after the reveal and before E3. They had even had copyrights for some kind of embedded copy protection that would only allow a disk to work on one system only ( possibly for their then next gen system ). Michael Pachter said a Sony exec was with him during MS's E3 conference and said they would be very happy to under sell the the XBox one by $100 if possible but the lowest they could go was $399. When MS announced at $499 the sony camera was taken out of the equation and the $399 PS4 was born. They shot the video clip showing how to share or trade a game backstage at E3 after MS's conference. Sony changed a few speeches as well which is shown by the direct jabs taken at MS E3 statements.

What Sony did was brilliant and the 8.4 million PS4s versus 5 million XBox Ones shows that. They whipped the E3 attendees into a frenzy. That is the most enthusiasm I have ever seen at an E3 press conference. The idiots were still cheering when they slipped in the fact that you had to pay to play online multiplayer ( something Sony fans have been condemning since the start of XBox Live ). To me Sony said " You know what we are going to do new for the PS4 and PSN? ....Nothing!... except make you pay to play online! " and the crowd roars " Sony is for the gamers!"

Sony was planning on doing exactly the same thing MS was but after seeing the reaction
( and the IDIOTS at MS always insist on going first ) did a 180. But I am glad they did!

Huge policies like that don't change in the span of a day or two. I'm sure Sony considered DRM at some point but chose not to go through with it long before the PS4's reveal. They simply made all the right choices this gen.

Right, so in one breath the Xbox One can be mocked for the line "DRM isn't like a switch, I can't just switch it off" (or whatever the infamous line was), which it was in the end, and in the next, the same can't be applied to a Sony console?

I'm not talking about the act of flipping the switch. I'm talking about the market research and dozens of business meetings that come before it. Corporations like Sony and MS take a long while to commit to any one decision as millions of dollars are constantly at stake. I can assure you that taking out the Xbone's DRM was in discussion the day after the disastrous reveal, for example, although it took more than a month to give the go ahead.
#33TheGam3925Posted 7/13/2014 3:59:09 AM
Savage_forlife posted...

Sony officially stated that the PS4 would have no drm prior to e3.

http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/sony-officially-states-that-playstation-4-will-not-have-drm-against-used-games-87087.html
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#34mokmuudPosted 7/13/2014 4:14:23 AM
InjusticeReborn posted...
dnmt posted...
Savage_forlife posted...

Sony's patent was for a hardware based drm. It couldn't be switched off like that. Look up the patent.
---
PSN: Mokmuud XBL: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#35mokmuudPosted 7/13/2014 4:17:10 AM
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/playstation-4-8451/sony-s-ps4-drm-plans-detailed-in-january-2013-pate-1439755/
Here read. It uses NFC. Not something you can swap out that quick.
---
PSN: Mokmuud XBL: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#36InjusticeRebornPosted 7/13/2014 6:01:54 AM
mokmuud posted...
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/playstation-4-8451/sony-s-ps4-drm-plans-detailed-in-january-2013-pate-1439755/
Here read. It uses NFC. Not something you can swap out that quick.

Thanks, was a good read.

I'm not going to pretend how the whole thing works, but with NFC on the discs (discs that at the time hadn't been produced for the PS4), wouldn't it have just been as simple as removing the hardware linked to reading the NFC on the disc during production?
---
A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. What about my PlayStation?
#37Savage_forlifePosted 7/14/2014 10:03:54 PM
Let me clarify something. I did not mean that Sony pulled out of the DRM affair in the hours in between the MS press conference and Sony conference. Microsoft, Sony, game developers and both online and brick and mortar retailers were planning a new used disk and digital download policy and DRM business model that could make everyone involved happy ( not just Gamestop ). Sony backed out of talks ( not sure exactly when or why ) and yet waited until literally 10 days before E3 2013 to state where they stood on the DRM subject and made sure to state that publishers would make their own decisions concerning DRM. WE ALL remember used game online passes don't we? Sony changed nothing from last gen but people act like they took a stance for " The Gamers ". Why exactly do we NOW have to be PS+ members to play online multiplayer games again?
---
If all you have to say is something IGNORANT, then keep it to yourself. On the Internet it's contagious!
#38youngskillzPosted 7/14/2014 10:07:54 PM
bottom line sony didn't go through with it an ms actually tried to an failed.
---
Metal Bands -- Sions Funeral, Eye of the Enemy, Arch Enemy, Sepsis, Deals Death, Mechanical God Creation, Cantabile Wind, Fractal Gates, Destinity, Isolated
#39HorridhalPosted 7/14/2014 10:48:29 PM
youngskillz posted...

No. Bottom line is Sony never planned to do it but decided to capitalize on Microsoft going ahead with their plans and the backlash.

Had Sony had DRM embedded in the system and removed it it would have required a patch, exactly like the X1 did, out of the box to fix the code related to it.

The article is pretty clear that Sony wasn't planning any DRM for the PS4 at any time near the reveal or launch.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#40kayoticdreamzPosted 7/14/2014 11:02:59 PM
Horridhal posted...
youngskillz posted...

No. Bottom line is Sony never planned to do it but decided to capitalize on Microsoft going ahead with their plans and the backlash.

Had Sony had DRM embedded in the system and removed it it would have required a patch, exactly like the X1 did, out of the box to fix the code related to it.

The article is pretty clear that Sony wasn't planning any DRM for the PS4 at any time near the reveal or launch.

your wrong. Sony was planning on it but Microsoft beat them to punch, failed miserably and sony washed their hands of it claiming they are for the gamers and snuck in PS+ is now mandatory for online while everyone cheered.

its very clear the entire E3 was sony doing the opposite of Microsoft and taking cheap shots. its clear their entire E3 was rewritten in the time between theirs and microsofts.