Remasters - Let's move on, when 2015 starts, please!

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 7/9/2014 1:13:15 PM
It's definitely a bugbear of mine.

People are continuously asking for ports of old games. That's not a terrible thing in itself - it's essentially you saying that you love an old game, and want to play it again on a newer format. But think about what you're doing.

You're actively wallowing in nostalgia, and as a man rapidly approaching his thirties, living in the eighties even not, I can tell you, this is not progressive.

In a poll lately, there were as many people who voted Halo 2 as their most-anticipated game as there were Halo 5-lovers. That really irks me. I've worked as a game developer for nearly five years now and I continuously hear from the design team that we should make games "more like X game 10 years ago". It winds me up - because though we can learn from said games, we shouldn't just try to make those games all over again.

Remakes and remasters will help you wallow in your nostalgic memories, but they certainly won't offer you anything new or exciting.

It's beautiful that you love something like Final Fantasy 7 or Halo 2, but why not say, "X element of those games should be applied to a brand new IP!" as opposed to "Let's play the exact same thing... again"?

You get the excitement AND the added knowledge that the mechanics will be respected and administered!

Why not join me in fist-pumping and chanting - "2015 - the year where we progress, not regress!"

---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2Staranime010Posted 7/9/2014 1:15:53 PM
No, I enjoy the remasters and want Assassins Creed 2 & RE4 in 1080p
#3LooksLikeRainPosted 7/9/2014 1:20:17 PM
I am sorry, but I cannot control the fire in my loins when I think about The Master Chief Collection.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#4phoenix9291Posted 7/9/2014 1:24:31 PM
I see a lack of BC as a big reason for the desire of remasters. Halo is a little different due to the return of Halo 2 online multiplayer and addition of the Halo CE online multiplayer. The addition of a Halo miniseries is nice as well as well as the Halo 5 beta.

Due to no BC I am really happy for the Master Chief Collection and really desire a Mass Effect remaster as these two series are still played by me and the only reasons for me to keep my 360.

Unlike some people I would not include GTAV in the "remaster" group since a PC port is always released later after the console version and this time they are just including the new gen at the same time as PC.
---
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup
#5DarthUchiha91Posted 7/9/2014 1:26:37 PM
I look at FFIV on the DS and Vita, and Resident Evil on the Gamecube, and I must say, I have very little issues with remakes, when done properly.
---
I'm the Barack Obama of fat people
Yes we can...Eat!!
#6DarthUchiha91Posted 7/9/2014 1:31:17 PM
phoenix9291 posted...
I see a lack of BC as a big reason for the desire of remasters. Halo is a little different due to the return of Halo 2 online multiplayer and addition of the Halo CE online multiplayer. The addition of a Halo miniseries is nice as well as well as the Halo 5 beta.

Due to no BC I am really happy for the Master Chief Collection and really desire a Mass Effect remaster as these two series are still played by me and the only reasons for me to keep my 360.

Unlike some people I would not include GTAV in the "remaster" group since a PC port is always released later after the console version and this time they are just including the new gen at the same time as PC.

Lack of BC may have played a part, but it sure didn't stop the amounts of Remasters/remakes the previous two gens.
---
I'm the Barack Obama of fat people
Yes we can...Eat!!
#7dnmtPosted 7/9/2014 1:31:27 PM
Staranime010 posted...

You can do that on PC right now.
#8L4YER_CAKEPosted 7/9/2014 1:34:07 PM
Staranime010 posted...

http://themerna.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/i-hate.gif?w=500
---
Braid. Save the princess. Contemplate the world. Save yourself.
#9crucialPosted 7/9/2014 1:47:37 PM
I only want remakes of games that are 10 years old or longer,GTA5 and LoU are just ports imo and will bring nothing to me since I just played them,Halo 2 however bring that in 1080p at 60fps now that is more then just a port.
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 7/9/2014 2:02:26 PM
Yeah, buy Ubi and EA's and Activision's annually released, incrementally upgraded "new" games, don't ask for old **** you know and love!!
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg http://i.imgur.com/kVabIeU.jpg