Does Buying Digital Charge Tax

#1Darkness3389Posted 7/9/2014 4:12:02 PM
Do you get charged Tax if you buy something digital for the Xbox One? I have $22.00 worth of digital credit and plan to save up enough from pre-ordering games from the Microsoft Store and getting the free $10 credit from them. Once I have enough for a new game I'm going to use my credit, but usually new games are about $65 with tax and $59.99 without. I'm wondering if I need to save up to $72.00 worth of credit to get a new game or just $60. It sucks that if you buy digital games you can't combine the cost of it with your credit card and Microsoft credit.
---
GT- EndingEye - Patriots, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy & Kings Fan
Kobe Bryant 81 points V.S. Toronto Raptor 1/22/06 Historic
#2squarex8264Posted 7/9/2014 4:15:47 PM
Yes, you get charged tax with digital purchases (at least I do, but maybe it depends on what state you live in?)

Also, you can absolutely combine money in your Microsoft account with your credit card. When you make a digital purchase, it will tell you how much money is in your account. If the price is over your balance, it will then ask you to pick a card so that the remaining balance is charged to the card. I have done this several times on both the console and the website.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#3Crystyn_7BPosted 7/9/2014 4:33:12 PM(edited)
Depends on the state you enter as your billing address. North Dakota for instance doesn't charge taxes on digital goods.

Submiting an incorrect billing adress isn't illegal by the way but most likely against MS' ToS/U.

I'd post a link detailing on the issue but that got me IP banned once already.
#4ejay8320Posted 7/9/2014 4:30:04 PM
depends where you live really here in Ontario Canada no tax
#5bLiNdSnIpErZ20Posted 7/9/2014 4:35:05 PM
It depends where you live. In Oregon there isn't any sales tax.
---
Get back in your rocket, and f*** off back to Legoland you c****!
#6brownmysterPosted 7/9/2014 4:55:50 PM
When I buy digital games I don't get charged for tax. I'm in virginia
---
Gt: Brown Myster. Nintendo ID: BrownMyster
Gamefaqs has always been anti Xbox. Just look at the polls dating back to 2001
#7x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 7/9/2014 5:20:00 PM
Darkness3389 posted...
Do you get charged Tax if you buy something digital for the Xbox One? I have $22.00 worth of digital credit and plan to save up enough from pre-ordering games from the Microsoft Store and getting the free $10 credit from them. Once I have enough for a new game I'm going to use my credit, but usually new games are about $65 with tax and $59.99 without. I'm wondering if I need to save up to $72.00 worth of credit to get a new game or just $60. It sucks that if you buy digital games you can't combine the cost of it with your credit card and Microsoft credit.

I believe you can combine credit with Microsoft Dollars. At first this wasn't true but i could swear I could do it now.

Also, no tax on digital in Illinois. Not sure in your state.
#8rainmaker7783Posted 7/9/2014 5:41:30 PM
I live ky and pay no taxes either
#9BigLongDownerPosted 7/9/2014 7:21:42 PM
brownmyster posted...
When I buy digital games I don't get charged for tax. I'm in virginia

Same here. Slums of Hampton Roads.
---
GT - Typ3 O Negativ3
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
#10Syn_VengeancePosted 7/9/2014 7:28:19 PM
I live in Philadelphia, PA and don't get charged taxes on digital games.
---
Currently Playing: COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4.
Waiting For: COD: Advanced Warfare, BF: Hardline, The Division, Rainbow Six Seige.