If Microsoft bit the bullet, and launched at $399 ....

#21Lord_Ka1nPosted 7/11/2014 12:17:19 AM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Depends, but I think the biggest killer was the DRM fiasco. If they launched at that price with the DRM still in effect, they would still be behind. They really shot themselves in the foot.

If they launched with all that they would still be behind the VITA right now.
---
PSN - Lord_Ka1n
3DS FC - 2680-9921-1203
#22N3xtG3nGam3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 1:15:58 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
I dont know if anyone here reads the newspaper, but when my dad reads something about technology, like new phones, tablets, computers, games/consoles, he always saves the article for me for the next time I see him. Of the 3 or 4 articles he had came across from our local paper and USA Today since launch, the only negetive thing the press said, was that neither console had many games to choose from currently.

So really guys, the publics eye does not see the X1 as the fanboys and trolls of gamefaqs do. Just something to remember when saying MS ruined their public image.

It isn't the general public that matters. It's the gamers that made the Xbox 360 so successful in the first place.

While you're right, to an extent... A large chunk of the "general public" currently own 360s and are what helped make the 360 successful. All those casual PS2 owners eventually upgraded and got a 360, and will probably upgrade to an Xbox One now that the price is the same as PS4.

That general public casual audience is slow to upgrade, but when they do, they won't be reading in the newspapers about 180s. They'll be reading in the newspapers about the features and games and how much better than 360 it is.a
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5
#23KamiKazie44Posted 7/11/2014 2:48:34 AM
I believe PS4 would still be in the lead. Close but in the lead.

Why?

Because they lost a lot of fans from the E3 announcement and most times... While the $100 difference seems big, most people still would of paid it if they believed they were getting the better system...

I would of bought PS4 if it was the other way around.

I'm just waiting for some more games to come to X1 to buy. And I'm happy its cheaper than the PS4 (Here in Canada)
#24dnmtPosted 7/11/2014 2:56:30 AM
MS did so much wrong before launch that the $499 price point wasn't close to being the worst thing about the Xbone. I don't think it would've turned out very different.
#25EoinPosted 7/11/2014 4:30:33 AM
It would be closer, but I don't think it would be "very close", so I don't really agree with any of the poll options. Sony would still have had the more powerful system, and they'd still have had the goodwill advantage.

In the end, I just don't think there were that many people who were happy to spend US$400 on a console but just couldn't stand the idea of paying US$500 - I would imagine that nearly everyone who wanted an Xbox One bought one, and that a price of US$400 would only have swayed a small selection of undecided people.
#26scoobydoobydontPosted 7/11/2014 5:39:27 AM
Considering how weak they are they should both have been priced at $299 from the start.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg http://i.imgur.com/kVabIeU.jpg
#27N3xtG3nGam3r(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 1:01:11 PM
I applaud everybody in this topic for holding steady conversation, giving good reasons, and not flaming or arguing with eachother. Really a rare thing on this board.

Anyways, i personally do think Sony would be in the lead, but mainly because of the initial backlash, not necessarily because of price, while 400$ is a good starting point, i myself dont think it would have been neck and neck, more like 60-40, or within the realm of that ratio.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5
#28SqawksPosted 7/14/2014 1:05:16 PM
They should have just offered the console at that price point from the start.
---
The official Howard the Duck of the MvC3 board!
#29googlerPosted 7/14/2014 1:11:20 PM
I'm sure it'd help xbone out initially before bad press could set in one 3rd party release after another. And for $399 it should be packed with Kinect to make up for the hardware disparity and let people feel like they're getting some kind of value since right now both consoles are basically more an Xbox 540 and a PS3.5
#30MRL3G3NDPosted 7/14/2014 1:39:03 PM
they would have been in the lead
price and value was the main factor people went ps4

nobody asked for Kinect $100 plus 1/yr of XBL made people make the (what seemed) better choice.

MS is just stupid...they announced their console and people basically booed the hell out of them...instead of going back to the drawing board, they basically told everybody they were stupid...

after a dismal launch it adjusted their attitudes quickly
LMAO

I hated that smarmy dude mattrick...I swear I'm gonna knock him out if I see him in real life
---
Watch_Dogs-Dog Day (X1)
http://youtu.be/q08oNNp74uQ