My issue with Microsoft and exclusives.

#1ShadowNinja87Posted 7/12/2014 9:52:39 AM
I owned a 360 and ps3 last gen and currently just own a ps4 with the possibility of getting an X1 down the line sometime.

However, my main concern about buying an X1 is Microsofts approach to exclusive games. They seriously are lacking in first party support and simply buy third party games they think will be big hits example Titanfall. Now I agree that's smart business wise but it's not always great for Xbox gamers. With weak first party support MS just gets lazy and releases endless sequels to Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and timed DLC for Call of duty.

I wish they would take more risks and have stronger first party support like Sony as mostly all their exclusives are diverse and compelling. They don't just release uncharted sequels every year.

The 360 was a baron wasteland exclusive wise midway through last gen and I was highly disappointed. I fear that if I throw down 400 I will eventually have a system with exclusives I am bored of ( Halo, Forza etc) and nothing else, not even the advantage of having better multiplats.

Not knocking X1 owners who like those exclusives but I want more now and I fear MS won't be able to provide me with engaging games like Last Of Us or Heavy Rain Style games or Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter etc.

Any potential X1 buyers like me worried about MS's commitment to exclusives? Are you worried they might just abandon exclusives like they did with the 360 midway through the X1 life cycle after they get sales up? Or are you content?
#2Chaos_MatazakiPosted 7/12/2014 9:55:40 AM
I agree, would like to see more exclusives and honestly some jrpgs this generation, unlike the few we got early of the 360's life span. I really enjoyed Lost Odyssey.
---
PSN: Donnie19---Gamertag: Chaos Matazaki---3DS FC: 5000-3303-9111---IGN: Lilith---Friend Safari Pokemon Psychic: Drowzee, Xatu, Wobuffet.
#3ThePaleRiderpPosted 7/12/2014 10:01:33 AM
Chaos_Matazaki posted...
I agree, would like to see more exclusives and honestly some jrpgs this generation, unlike the few we got early of the 360's life span. I really enjoyed Lost Odyssey.

JRPG'S are prominent on Nintendo and Sony consoles and handhelds mainly Nintendo. 3DS is probably gonna have the best jrpg's this generation.
---
Valar morghulis
#4ShadowNinja87(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 10:02:51 AM
Chaos_Matazaki posted...

Agreed
#5ShadowNinja87(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 10:08:51 AM
Once MS gets the sales they want from the X1. Who's to say they won't go back to their old ways of timed DLC and halo sequels every year? Hell they already are doing it with new installments to Halo, Forza, Fable coming soon.
#6mattglosbcfcPosted 7/12/2014 10:14:05 AM
ShadowNinja87 posted...
I owned a 360 and ps3 last gen and currently just own a ps4 with the possibility of getting an X1 down the line sometime.

However, my main concern about buying an X1 is Microsofts approach to exclusive games. They seriously are lacking in first party support and simply buy third party games they think will be big hits example Titanfall. Now I agree that's smart business wise but it's not always great for Xbox gamers. With weak first party support MS just gets lazy and releases endless sequels to Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and timed DLC for Call of duty.

I wish they would take more risks and have stronger first party support like Sony as mostly all their exclusives are diverse and compelling. They don't just release uncharted sequels every year.

The 360 was a baron wasteland exclusive wise midway through last gen and I was highly disappointed. I fear that if I throw down 400 I will eventually have a system with exclusives I am bored of ( Halo, Forza etc) and nothing else, not even the advantage of having better multiplats.

Not knocking X1 owners who like those exclusives but I want more now and I fear MS won't be able to provide me with engaging games like Last Of Us or Heavy Rain Style games or Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter etc.

Any potential X1 buyers like me worried about MS's commitment to exclusives? Are you worried they might just abandon exclusives like they did with the 360 midway through the X1 life cycle after they get sales up? Or are you content?

I agree to you on the lack of first party games. Sadly, I dont see that improving. The disappointing thing is they started off the 360 really well in this regard, with Rare making proper first party games, Lionhead still being a respected studio, and having Bungie, etc.

However I will disagree with your point about Sony having diverse and compelling 1st party games. The majority suck and are generic. Just look at Infamous, Killzone and Resistance as classic examples.

Also you say they don't rely on Uncharted sequels every year. Arent they making the 4th one now? Same amount as the major release's as in the Gears franchise.
Also you say about there being too many Forza's but aren't there 5 Gran Turismos?
There is also 4 Killzone's, and 3 Infamous games.

Both consoles are hardly the innovative saviour's.
#7HeliosAscensionPosted 7/12/2014 12:36:27 PM
Infamous has been a fantastic series, along with Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, etc. i do wish Microsoft would invest in some new IPs but I love Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, etc. both have quality titles, it sucks you feel burnt out on them.
---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.
#8UtinilPosted 7/12/2014 1:24:44 PM
mattglosbcfc posted...

Also you say about there being too many Forza's but aren't there 5 Gran Turismos?

There are actually 6 Gran Turismos. The difference is there were 2 for the PS, 2 for the PS2, and 2 for the PS3. With Forza, there were 1 for the Xbox, 3 or 5 for the 360 (depending on on if you count the horizon ones), and 1 for the xbone, So they pushed out a lot more in a short time span.
#9suzukimatsuiPosted 7/12/2014 1:30:32 PM
mattglosbcfc posted...
ShadowNinja87 posted...

I agree to you on the lack of first party games. Sadly, I dont see that improving. The disappointing thing is they started off the 360 really well in this regard, with Rare making proper first party games, Lionhead still being a respected studio, and having Bungie, etc.

However I will disagree with your point about Sony having diverse and compelling 1st party games. The majority suck and are generic. Just look at Infamous, Killzone and Resistance as classic examples.

Also you say they don't rely on Uncharted sequels every year. Arent they making the 4th one now? Same amount as the major release's as in the Gears franchise.
There is also 4 Killzone's, and 3 Infamous games.

Both consoles are hardly the innovative saviour's.

Well in the case of Uncharted and Gears both games do not come out every year. Uncharted had three games in a 5 year span. Gears had three games in a five year span as well but if you included Judgement its 4 games total in 7 years.

As for the Forza, the main number series has 5 games in years with each a 2 year cycle. As for Horizon there is a two year gap between releases which began to be released every other year after Forza 4

Gran Turismo had six games in 16 years but of course Gran Turismo 5 took 5 years to release and the most recent GT6 took 3 years

Killzone had 4 mainline games and on average took 2.25 years on average for development albeit there was a 5 year gap until the second was released.

As for Infamous, from the first to the second it had a two year development and then from the second to the third there was a three year development.

All in all these franchises you used as examples are not being pumped out yearly and are not being relied upon for immediate impact. When they arrive they arrive