Why do publishers continue to push CE games into having giant boxes?

#1levyjl1988Posted 7/12/2014 12:04:19 PM
I feel like I've reached my limit. I have way to many CE boxes that seem to be taking up so much space in my room. These boxes are huge. I like to keep them for collection sakes, but man, what's with the gigantic boxes all the time. I've got: Halo Reach Legendary Edition, Skyrim Collector's Edition, The Witcher 2 CE, GTA V CE, Batman Arkham Asylum CE, Dark Souls 2 CE, Street Fighter 25th Anniversary CE, Watch Dogs CE, South Park TSoT, etc filling my top shelves and off to the side.

Anyway...

1. Do you think this will ever end?
2. If you are a collector like me, how are you dealing with all these boxes?
3. Do you ever throw away you CE game boxes?

I thought games wanted to reduce costs, hence games having no manuals, eco dvd cases, yet we get huge boxes with memorabilia that seems to clog up spaces in homes.

Here's looking at Destiny, sigh...
---
I hate games with bad game design
#2TheeLeehamPosted 7/12/2014 12:43:03 PM
I can't see it ending. It may die down at some point but it would just return later. At the moment its just getting worst, look at the size of that Titanfall CE.
#3shoji_joPosted 7/12/2014 12:49:14 PM
TC if you are buying a game and it has a Collector's Edition available, will you always go for it instead?
Or do you decide based on the cost and content?
#4Sirhc5509Posted 7/12/2014 12:51:31 PM
Not much you can do when they come with statues/figures/giant props. Should just store the outter box in a garage or shed(incase you need to pack it all up to move or whatever) and only display the contents.
#5Laylow12Posted 7/12/2014 12:58:47 PM
I always buy the limited edition for nearly every release and the limited edition strat guide. I feel your pain TC. Im looking for a bigger house right now and my wife is like "you're just gonna fill this one with videogame crap too"! Im like, nah but so far I have filled a considerable sized room up. If they make a show for videogame hoarders, I'd be a perfect example.

I realize it's not healthy but can't help myself. A good amount aren't even opened yet, so potential for selling some exists. (who am I kidding, i doubt people would want to buy them but you never know).

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#6SolisPosted 7/12/2014 2:00:49 PM
Because they have to be large enough to hold the actual CE contents? I'm honestly not sure what you're suggesting they do, are you saying they shouldn't actually have real "CEs" anymore that come with larger items, or that the boxes should somehow be collapsible after having the items taken out of them?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#7aszsithPosted 7/12/2014 2:26:30 PM
Well, until they invent a way to get me a 18" statue in a game case, those boxes are the only way. I collect a LOT of various statues and collectibles. An entire closet in my home was full to the brim with the boxes. I solved the problem with a small army of plastic bins and by utilizing my attic space.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#8Killah PriestPosted 7/12/2014 2:33:32 PM
The whole point of collectors editions is for goodies to take up space in your room, if you don't have space you don't need more junk.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#9DarkReign2022Posted 7/12/2014 4:09:49 PM
If you don't have the space, don't buy the product. I excercise a little self control over the CE's that I purchase. Halo 3, Halo Reach, Skyrim, I got the Borderlands 2 LE with just the Bobblehead. Hell, I even have the Pizza Box with a shirt and pair of boxers from Catherine and the large metal tin from Dead or Alive 5.

Not really sure what I'm getting next. Fingers crossed for the next Halo game getting something awesome, but even if it doesn't I'm putting money away to get the WETA statues as well.
#10Crystyn_7BPosted 7/12/2014 4:28:13 PM
Laylow12 posted...
I always buy the limited edition for nearly every release and the limited edition strat guide. I feel your pain TC. Im looking for a bigger house right now and my wife is like "you're just gonna fill this one with videogame crap too"! Im like, nah but so far I have filled a considerable sized room up. If they make a show for videogame hoarders, I'd be a perfect example.

I realize it's not healthy but can't help myself. A good amount aren't even opened yet, so potential for selling some exists. (who am I kidding, i doubt people would want to buy them but you never know).

Don't you have a basement?