Big game changer for XBone--->Free MP. Will it attract more gamers?

#11ErevilePosted 7/12/2014 5:58:58 PM
KMacz31 posted...
At this point, MS can lose $ on servers (which can be made up from $ from other divisions) or they can lose customers' interest. I think the latter is harder to regain than the former. Plus apple does iCloud for free. If you're gonna take a hit somewhere, don't let it be customers' interests. I think they gotta do something big. Cuz right now, they're behind nintendo wii U, and Wii U just got their jolt of momentum and comeback.

Actually, I don't think the Xbox division can afford many losses, politically of course.

That said, since payed online has been standard for awhile here people expect and accept. Any gained sales from a move like this would be a drop in the pond at this point.

You should wait at least a year before deciding MS has to make a drastic move though. I'd say 2 years from launch before deciding.
---
Tonight I will serenade you with the tortured screams of my lunatic soul.
PSN: Khoron
#12TheCyborgNinjaPosted 7/12/2014 7:56:38 PM
It'll never go away. If they lowered the rate to $40 per year they'd undercut Sony and earn some good PR points.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#13unclekoolaid73Posted 7/12/2014 8:01:34 PM
Sony forced MS's hand...simply as that. No YOUTUBE, NETFLIX, ect behind a pay wall on the PS4, MS had to do the same. We all benefit from this so thank you SONY.
#14puffnbillys420Posted 7/12/2014 8:01:46 PM
If ms wants to be number one so bad then I think it would definitely help them out..but ms is stingy so I doubt it will ever happen
---
Psn: DirtyJoeBro XBL: joe1ah feel free to add me
#15aszsithPosted 7/12/2014 8:22:23 PM
puffnbillys420 posted...
If ms wants to be number one so bad then I think it would definitely help them out..but ms is stingy so I doubt it will ever happen

I don't think Microsoft cares about being #1 in this race. Fanboys and media created the console wars. The companies simply capitalize on it when possible.

The Xbox division probably cares, but the corporation as a whole is quite healthy. Microsoft makes vast sums of money which far surpass that of Sony.

Sony on the other hand probably cares quite a bit about the Playstation division as it is the company's most valuable asset in terms of consistent revenue, profitability, and potentially the division's value in a competitive market. If things get worse rather than improving, they could potentially sell off the Playstation brand at some point as they did with Vaio.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#16Xeeh_BitzPosted 7/12/2014 8:30:29 PM
unclekoolaid73 posted...
Sony forced MS's hand...simply as that. No YOUTUBE, NETFLIX, ect behind a pay wall on the PS4, MS had to do the same. We all benefit from this so thank you SONY.

Yeah, they some what pulled ideals from each other which helped both services. Stopped the paywall BS on things that should be free because you pay for internet to begin with and MS showed Sony that suckers are willing to pay more money to play their already over priced game online.So now Sony charges but can use that money to better their service.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#17SoulTrapperPosted 7/13/2014 1:39:48 AM
aszsith posted...
puffnbillys420 posted...

I don't think Microsoft cares about being #1 in this race. Fanboys and media created the console wars. The companies simply capitalize on it when possible.

The Xbox division probably cares, but the corporation as a whole is quite healthy. Microsoft makes vast sums of money which far surpass that of Sony.

Sony on the other hand probably cares quite a bit about the Playstation division as it is the company's most valuable asset in terms of consistent revenue, profitability, and potentially the division's value in a competitive market. If things get worse rather than improving, they could potentially sell off the Playstation brand at some point as they did with Vaio.

They do want to be number one:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-on-xbox-one-vs-ps4-we-want-to-be-number-/1100-6421063/

The xbox division is the least healthy between the two and something investors have been complaining about for quite some time.
That said, they've been complaining about Bing as well and their not letting that go either.

On the other hand, there is Sony, for which the Playstation division is one (if not the) most profitable division the company has.
They got rid of Vaio and are spinning off the TV division because those aren't making them money.

Neither company will sell or get rid of their respective console divisions any time soon.
#18youngskillzPosted 7/13/2014 1:42:13 AM
it will never happen.
---
Metal Bands OTM -- Arch Enemy, Cantabile Wind, Eye of the Enemy, The Wake, Exhortation, Deals Death, Mechanical God Creation, Fractal Gates, Destinity, Isolated
#19InjusticeRebornPosted 7/13/2014 2:02:37 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
unclekoolaid73 posted...

Yeah, they some what pulled ideals from each other which helped both services. Stopped the paywall BS on things that should be free because you pay for internet to begin with and MS showed Sony that suckers are willing to pay more money to play their already over priced game online.So now Sony charges but can use that money to better their service.

Is it possible for you to actually give credit to Microsoft/Xbox for how PSN is to this day? Party chat, for example. Private chat?
---
A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. What about my PlayStation?
#20ht02135Posted 7/13/2014 7:10:18 AM
KMacz31 posted...
Recently MS made Netflix access free. They took that huge paywall down. What if they took down MP paywall? Would that make the Xbone even more attractive? Will it provide the needed boost to garner more gamers?

no, i doubt microsoft will do it. i doubt microsoft will do it permanently. if mp paywall is not down permanently, then it is meaningless.

even if they say they gonna do it now, what will prevent them backtrack? microsoft is known to do 180, 180, 180 again and again to screw gaming community.