Which is more impressive, Mortal Kombat X or Killer Instinct?

#41boolzeroPosted 7/13/2014 5:03:55 PM(edited)
mokmuud posted...
boolzero posted...

Did you expect 12 or 16 characters for $20? You can shake your head like its a clear cut argument, but obviously it's not. Like I said previously; perspective. I don't expect a full fledge fighting game for bargain bin pricing, do you? Who the hell does for that? I can understand if the game wasn't for you or if you didn't like it, but to say it didn't have enough characters for a $20 game seems (and I hate to use this as I'm not trying to insult you personally) a largely entitled mindset. Had they charged $40 for it, I would most certainly agree however, but I just can't with your reasoning. No offense meant and thanks for the civil debate!

For $40 you get 8 characters 8 costumes and some accessories. And no offense taken. I've also been gaming since the early 80s and I would rather pay full price and get a full game than pay half price and have character released one at a time over months and no arcade mode at launch. It's not so much the amount of characters as it is the way the released it.

Again, you're not being completely honest to your argument. You paid $40 for the new KI AND the classic with the ultimate edition, with some costumes on the side. To me that's a fair asking price for the content. $20 for a new game, $20 for an old game and some flare on the side, or $20 for a new game, $15 for an old game and $5 for some flare, however you want to cut it. While I don't agree with the nickel and diming on the costumes either, you can't imply that you paid $40 for JUST the new KI and some palette swaps. Respectfully and with no disrespect, that's being disingenuous to your argument.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly in your sentiment. I prefer full releases as much as the next guy (well actually, we are a dying breed) but I also understand that the industry has changed in its ways of releasing games for quite some times, so I'm a little more open to these techniques since they are not entirely new or unfamiliar to me.afterall, I don't just game on consoles, I game on pretty much everything.

Like you perhaps, I've been a gamer since the 70's, and I have and still avidly play games on everything, from consoles to PC to my iPad, so for me these releasing techniques are not entirely new. I guess you can say I am a little more flexible with release models given my experience since I've dabbled in everything from kick starter, to early access, to indie beta releases, to IAP models (I really am not a fan of those with their high level of publisher abuse to their customer base, but that's another conversation), to everything in between. I've Alpha and Beta tested more games than I can remember, I've been pooled to focus groups for experimental models, etc. For me, KI's release model is probably one of the oldest models that was long used on PC but seems alien to many console only gamers...

I still love the tried and true, you make me a full fledged game for a fair price and I buy it model, no strings attached, but we've long entered the whole DLC, piece your game together model for the past ten years or so (perhaps not as prevalent on consoles but elsewhere for sure) so I'm more accepting to it I guess...

Thanks for the proper debate btw... Nice to have folks discuss things they love with passion but civilly! It's rare in these boards!
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#42SupaflyGibsonPosted 7/13/2014 7:18:43 PM
mokmuud posted...
boolzero posted...

Did you expect 12 or 16 characters for $20? You can shake your head like its a clear cut argument, but obviously it's not. Like I said previously; perspective. I don't expect a full fledge fighting game for bargain bin pricing, do you? Who the hell does for that? I can understand if the game wasn't for you or if you didn't like it, but to say it didn't have enough characters for a $20 game seems (and I hate to use this as I'm not trying to insult you personally) a largely entitled mindset. Had they charged $40 for it, I would most certainly agree however, but I just can't with your reasoning. No offense meant and thanks for the civil debate!

For $40 you get 8 characters 8 costumes and some accessories. And no offense taken. I've also been gaming since the early 80s and I would rather pay full price and get a full game than pay half price and have character released one at a time over months and no arcade mode at launch. It's not so much the amount of characters as it is the way the released it.

You've left out that you also get the original KI perfectly ported to the X1. Easily worth the $40.
---
gt: For Spartaa
#43scoobydoobydontPosted 7/13/2014 7:33:22 PM
Both are equally unimpressive.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#44TenzhiPosted 7/14/2014 2:23:18 AM
youngskillz posted...
KI > MK.

blood an gore overkill is childish pandering.

Ultraaaaa Comboooooooooo!!!!!! is childish pandering.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#45ExempliGratiaPosted 7/14/2014 6:04:35 AM
MightyMuna posted...
ExempliGratia posted...
MightyMuna posted...
Even though I'm not a fan of Mortal Kombat, I prefer it to Killer Instinct. KI has no gameplay. People are just enamoured with its colorful combos.

Street Fighter, Tekken and Guilty Gear remain king.

Please watch evo right now to see high level play. You're clearly mistaken.

I watched it. Not impressed. MK has far better gameplay in my opinion.

Good thing that's your opinion.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#46MRL3G3NDPosted 7/14/2014 7:20:07 AM
I'm an avid fighter fan, and I have a group of friends that compete together
MK, soul caliber, tekken, SF, Capcom vs marvel
I even liked injustice (wish we had it for XB1)

did not like KI at all
the graphics look dated, the character models look bad and even though we spent a good amount of time on it...it was still reduced to button mash mania

for a group of guys that play fighters and have been fans of fighters...we cannot recommend KI
I mean normally we may start off button mashing, then we learn on move or a mechanic...none of that happened lol
55 fights in we are still jumping in and mashing things hoping to start a combo

but hey if you like it more power

MKX looks like a last gen port, but the game is an instant classic
You can't beat that
---
Watch_Dogs-Dog Day (X1)
http://youtu.be/q08oNNp74uQ
#47ExempliGratiaPosted 7/14/2014 7:45:22 AM(edited)
MRL3G3ND posted...
I'm an avid fighter fan, and I have a group of friends that compete together
MK, soul caliber, tekken, SF, Capcom vs marvel
I even liked injustice (wish we had it for XB1)

did not like KI at all
the graphics look dated, the character models look bad and even though we spent a good amount of time on it...it was still reduced to button mash mania

for a group of guys that play fighters and have been fans of fighters...we cannot recommend KI
I mean normally we may start off button mashing, then we learn on move or a mechanic...none of that happened lol
55 fights in we are still jumping in and mashing things hoping to start a combo

but hey if you like it more power

MKX looks like a last gen port, but the game is an instant classic
You can't beat that

I read this and all I got was "we don't understand the game therefore we don't like it"
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#48TenzhiPosted 7/14/2014 12:29:13 PM
I don't like KI, but there's definitely more to it than button mashing.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#49popping4itPosted 7/14/2014 12:35:58 PM
sigh...

MKX is running on unreal engine 3. a previous generation engine. how the hell are the votes this lopsided. oh nvm forgot this is the xbox boards so its 90% stealth sony fanboys.
---
whens mahvel?
#50TenzhiPosted 7/14/2014 12:44:00 PM
The question isn't which one has better graphics, it's which one looks more impressive - a subtle difference. A well done Mugen game could even be a contender in that sort of contest.
---