Empowered God of Awesome in Gaming!

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 7/13/2014 8:41:34 AM
Here's an easy one.

Post the last game in which you felt incredibly empowered, super-strong, invincible, and diabolically charismatic! Like you could crush anything in the game, smash a planet, defeat anyone on a whim!

Conversely, tell me the last game in which you felt truly powerless, that you could be bested at any moment, that even the simplest of actions was a risk.

Finally, let's hear which of the two you prefer to be in a game!
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2nickr2d2Posted 7/13/2014 8:47:18 AM(edited)
Poweful: Alan Wake, last few missions. You're a walking tank with all those flare guns. Also, Super Mario Galaxy. Got 120 stars for both Mario and Luigi, then proceeded to kick the s*** out of bowser in no-time at all.

Weak: GTA Online. No matter how many heavy weapons you have, it's all useless against a camper who glitched under the map (via the parking garage glitch).

EDIT: I prefer weaker. Freedom Fighters on max difficulty... not only are you outnumbered, but outgunned and your freedom fighters are of lower skill. So ever move you make, every little decision could have a huge impact.
---
"You're using the wrong words to express your still incorrect thoughts" -Foxx3k
#3puffnbillys420Posted 7/13/2014 9:06:42 AM
First question: during a drinking game

Second question:after the drinking game
---
Psn: DirtyJoeBro XBL: joe1ah feel free to add me
#4MasterFenix95Posted 7/13/2014 9:07:27 AM
Powerful: Battlefield 3, I've taken out over 4 people in a row with the knife, have out sniped snipers with a SPAS-12 with Slugs, ruled the sky with an attack helicopter, shot pilots out of scout helicopters. Can use any weapon with high proficiency. Having over 7000 kills with the knife, and its my best weapon. Here I'm the Ultimate Badass.

Weak: Battlefield 4, it feels like my gun shoots bbs, killed by snipers camping a top buildings you can only reach with air vehicles, constantly killed by random enemy hiding in corner, killed when already behind cover due to lag, counter knifed by enemy who turned around as I started the animation to knife, getting knifed in the front with no option to counter, tons of bs deaths, horrid teammates. Can never seem to kill a person without being instantly killed by another.
---
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two negatives do make a positive.
#5BryanPS360Posted 7/13/2014 9:33:21 AM
Incredibly Empowered: Infamous SS

Truly Powerless: Dark Souls maybe?
---
XBGT:RedHawkDirewolf PSN and NNID: RedHawk_Direwolf
#6phineasfoolPosted 7/13/2014 10:07:37 AM
Incredibly Powered - Bayonetta

Weak - I really haven't played any relatively recently where I felt underpowered. I'm guessing a survival horror would be like that
---
XBLive - phineasfool
NNID - phineasfool
#7SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 10:27:24 AM
I think for me, the most recent examples are:

GODLY OVERPOWERED: Dead Rising 3 (my character is now level 48 and I pretty much always have all the combo-DLC monstrous-overpowered weaponry on me). But Wolfenstein was almost that insane.

TREMBLING WITH WEAKNESS: Outlast. Even the simplest of goons can waste you with one or two hits. God help you when you see... HIM.

I generally prefer the feeling of helplessness. The rush you get when you can be bested at any moment. I love it.

Incidentally, one of my old design docs I pitched to my university's development grant board was called "Zeus, Fallen"; it featured you as Zeus, a character with truly limitless power. When the peons decided to revolt, you decide to punish them with a display of your power. The opening to the game is you, a hulking god, effortlessly slaughtering hundreds of rebel peons with every button-press. After the slaughter, you tell the last remaining peon to go unto the peon populous and tell them of your might. After this opening act, all the other gods think enough is enough and tell you they've decided you have abused your strength, and band together to strip away all your abilities, until you walk as the lowest of the low, a sub-peon. Effectively the game climaxes with the final boss being that single peon you allowed to return, now, to your weak, frail frame, an insanely-powerful monster of a man.

I personally love the dynamic of empowerment and enjoy when the tables turn in a game. Games like Shadow of the Colossus do this well with an ending act that turns the tables beautifully in this way.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#8SabramPosted 7/13/2014 12:35:06 PM
Overwhemlingly Powerful: Terraria with all my end-game gear
Weak and Pathetic: Dark Souls 2 even WITH end-game gear
---
Dark Souls 2 + Dragon's Crown crossover game needs to happen.
PSN: Sabram - NNID: Sabram - Gamertag: Sabram