They should make a voice only kinect alternative

#1langlestPosted 7/13/2014 1:07:16 PM
I recently got a xbox one without kinect and some of the voice commands seem like they could be useful, I'm not going to buy a kinect just for voice commands though

Do you think ms might make something that only uses the voice functions? I'm surprised they didn't bundle some kind of mic like this with the kinect free systems to make it more desirable

Is there any way to use voice commands with a chat headset?
---
STDs, A Problem Shared is a Problem Halved
#2Road_Kill_666Posted 7/13/2014 1:16:07 PM
A lot of people said the same thing but people would cry over it as well. All they need was a high tech mic that you sit next to your tv and plug into the usb on the console and have voice only, but then people will swear the NSA was listening to them.

Honestly I think Kinect will be done after this. Kinect was a fad that they couldn't force on people, its like rockband, it was kinda cool but long dead now. I don't think the next console will have one and if it does it will surely be 100% separate from day one.
#3uniquebadgerPosted 7/13/2014 1:58:39 PM
They could just do voice commands with the normal xbox headset if they wanted to.
#4Road_Kill_666Posted 7/13/2014 2:39:11 PM
uniquebadger posted...
They could just do voice commands with the normal xbox headset if they wanted to.

that headset is crap. Its awful. I'm still waiting on a respectable headset. If nothing good comes out this Xmas I'm picking up some a50's.
#5x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 7/13/2014 2:43:47 PM
Road_Kill_666 posted...
uniquebadger posted...

that headset is crap. Its awful. I'm still waiting on a respectable headset. If nothing good comes out this Xmas I'm picking up some a50's.

The Xbox One headset is cheaply made. Every one of my friends have broken theirs. Not physically but they just stopped working for no reason! I've been using that cheaply made PS4 headset for longer and it still works. I do have Astro A50 I use during online gaming though.
#6Road_Kill_666Posted 7/13/2014 3:05:23 PM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Road_Kill_666 posted...
uniquebadger posted...

The Xbox One headset is cheaply made. Every one of my friends have broken theirs. Not physically but they just stopped working for no reason! I've been using that cheaply made PS4 headset for longer and it still works. I do have Astro A50 I use during online gaming though.

Do the a50s ever buzz when you charge them while using them at the same time? I had that problem on my Turtle Beach Earforce Delta headset.
#7boolzeroPosted 7/13/2014 3:23:24 PM(edited)
uniquebadger posted...

One of the main draws of the voice commands is not only the functionality but also that fact that you are untethered to a device physically. If I have my headset, then I have my controller and therefore it eliminates the need for me to use voice commands. Two generations of using a wired mic and having it clumsily dangle, be accidentally yanked off my head and the like while gaming, to finally be freed of that(well, technically freed from that last gen as I used my Kinect for voice chat then too). Why would I want to step backward? I don't want to have to pick up my controller and plop and headset on everytime I want to use my system because like most of the real gaming world, I use my system for more than just gaming and when I get on it's not always for the intent of gaming.

Personally I wouldn't want to have to put on a headset to give a command. To me that is a major step backward. The mic portion of the Kinect is for the most part pretty awesome. If they could incorporate more functionality with it, I would say its a plus. The motion controls are still hit and miss given the paltry selection of games using it. The Kinect focused games are largely cumbersome to navigate (Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance 4, two games I own) and have iffy menu navigation and frustrating UI control issues, though gameplay wise they are decent. I can take or leave the motion control personally, but I love the voice control and would like to see that expanded and not reduced to headset usage.

Two steps forward, not one step back and all that...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#8x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 7/13/2014 3:32:00 PM
Road_Kill_666 posted...
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Road_Kill_666 posted...
uniquebadger posted...

Do the a50s ever buzz when you charge them while using them at the same time? I had that problem on my Turtle Beach Earforce Delta headset.

I wouldn't know, sorry. My headset is always charging when not in use so I never worry about it. I have used A40 before while plugged in with no issues. Also, I've heard them for a few minutes while plugged in with no issues but that's a small sample size.