i think I'm the only person in the world that absolutely loves HD Ports

#31Foreign ObjectsPosted 7/14/2014 12:42:22 AM
I think they're great! I especially love it when it's a game I never got around to playing the first time. Like Tomb Raider.
---
etc
#32PibugoPosted 7/14/2014 9:57:18 AM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
Also why is it that when the game is originally released it is not a money grab but the port is?

there's a difference between making a game and getting money off of it, and making something purely for the money.

How are you expecting me to take you seriously if you aren't even reading the entirety of my post? That's like if I now went derpmode and asked you "Why was it great to get the Metal Gear HD collection?
---
The stuff I do/post isn't 100% BS -VeghEsther
#33Team_NinjaPosted 7/14/2014 10:08:46 AM
If you've never played the game, I get it, but life's too short to replay old games if you've already played them the first time.

Have no idea why people watch re-runs of The Honeymooners.
#34Chosen_one_41Posted 7/14/2014 11:32:09 AM
Pibugo posted...
Chosen_one_41 posted...
Also why is it that when the game is originally released it is not a money grab but the port is?

there's a difference between making a game and getting money off of it, and making something purely for the money.

How are you expecting me to take you seriously if you aren't even reading the entirety of my post? That's like if I now went derpmode and asked you "Why was it great to get the Metal Gear HD collection?

Just because I only included a portion of your entire post in my reply doesn't mean that I didn't read the whole thing, also you are avoiding my question and insulting me so thanks for that.

Let me ask the question a different way. How are HD collections money grabs? To me a money grab would be a terribly made game with little content being sold for a lot and yet being advertised as a fully fledged game. In most cases these HD collections are amazingly well made games that are very much worth it. Also the HD collections always cost less than a full release yet are always full games so with HD collections you get more bang for your buck than with a new game. I don't see how you could argue that HD collections are anything but a great deal, especially when they include multiple games like many do.

To me it just seems that you have a distorted view on games where a game's worth is based on what is new and the already existing content is somehow worthless despite being included and fully functional. It's like the timing of the release is what you care about and not the actual content and quality and price matters to you. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it isn't still fun.
---
www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm not a real gamer, I actually enjoy playing games
#35Chosen_one_41Posted 7/14/2014 12:22:55 PM
I've been thinking and I feel it is only short sighted people who would hate HD ports. Think of what it would be like if games never got ported. Let's say 10 years from now some guy hears of a game called Shadow of the Colossus. How would he be able to play that? He would have to hunt down an old PS2 in a time where the PS5 is what is being played and he would have to hunt down an old copy of the game which even now can be somewhat difficult to find in good condition and cheap. People just think, "well I still have a PS2 and I still have all my games" but they don't think about the gamers that were never even around when those things were new.

HD remakes allow die hard fans to have a new coat of paint on an old favorite of theirs, and it allows people who never had a chance to play them originally a chance to become a new fan. Also they allow an old game to get it's multiplayer revitalized which can be a pretty big deal to some people. There are so many reasons beyond simply making some cash why HD ports exist. And since when is making honest money a bad thing? This isn't like that Alien game where they lied about the content, HD ports are of games that have existed for some time and are pretty well documented in the experience that is to be had.
---
#36PibugoPosted 7/14/2014 12:28:59 PM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
Just because I only included a portion of your entire post in my reply doesn't mean that I didn't read the whole thing

That wasn't what I meant. I meant the part where I explained my take on cash grab games.

Chosen_one_41 posted...
also you are avoiding my question

You gotta be kidding me. I put it in the quotes, how did you miss it? This is the 3rd time you are either being blind or willfully ignoring.

Chosen_one_41 posted...
It's like the timing of the release is what you care about and not the actual content and quality and price matters to you. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it isn't still fun.

Whaaaaaaaat? You said you read my entire post. Yet you argue against things that I never even stated. My post, in summary, was about how remakes < bad remakes < HD ports, but you are putting words in my mouth and argue against things I never even said.
---
#37popping4itPosted 7/14/2014 12:32:17 PM
its really bizzare, last of us was released pretty close to only a year ago and theyre re-release it at full price. this is the sort of thing that would be non-stop bashed as being a disgusting cash grab and releasing a "inferior version" last year. but sony fanboys dont even care at how bad this would look if any other company did it....

the double standards are so real.
---
whens mahvel?
#38PibugoPosted 7/14/2014 12:52:48 PM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
I've been thinking and I feel it is only short sighted people who would hate HD ports

The thing is, I don't. I already stated in my first post, that ports/HD ports have their places in the world. It's just that, having seen so many terrible ports in my life (and in a lot of cases, developers porting a game that needed improving, it wasn't finished or it was an otherwise great game which I was begging for them to remake, and then comes the slap in the face), I much prefer a remake. Think of a book. It was made in Estonia, during the 60s, and it's rare because not many copies (or whatever you call them in English) were made, so it's expensive and hard to find. It's a book with great concepts, great characters etc., but the translation to English is bad, so it takes away from the experience.

Now, would you want a) a reprint (again, dunno if this is the actual word. Restock, maybe?) of the book with shiny new covers, and that's it. You could get the book much easier and cheaper, but all those problems are still there.
Or b) have someone restock the book, but also re-do the translation, and add some additional scenes to make the story a better experience overall?
Because that's kinda what I'm getting to here.

Chosen_one_41 posted...
HD remakes

Wait, now you are calling them remakes?

Chosen_one_41 posted...
And since when is making honest money a bad thing? This isn't like that Alien game where they lied about the content, HD ports are of games that have existed for some time and are pretty well documented in the experience that is to be had.

Because, as I said before, I know from a personal experience and from facts, that a lot of ports are made when the company is in desperate needs of cash, period. I can give you an example right now. The PSX ports of FFIV, V, VI and Chrono Trigger. Those games were made around the time FF: Spirits Within was in production, hence they released these ports in a hurry and out of desperation, which resulted in them being really bad ports.
---
#39cloudriveraPosted 7/14/2014 12:55:26 PM
I dont mind them, because there are A LOT of games I still havent played yet. Seriously, how do people not have backlogs?
---
currently playing: http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-17042598dt.jpg, http://thegamingpixelshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/yT2t8RP.jpg
#40Chosen_one_41Posted 7/14/2014 12:55:52 PM
Yes but my point is that while remakes are good and all (actually I've played quite a few bad remakes in my time) there is nothing wrong with a port if the original game was good. You shouldn't rate a game on it's potential but on what is actually there.
---