It's finally dawned on me how rediculous modern gaming has become...

#1Heartless18Posted 7/13/2014 2:05:09 PM
Today I picked up Assassin's Creed IV for a decent price and I had the afternoon free, so I decided to pop it into my X1 and check it out.

- First I had to install the game to my system, even though it's on a disc. No big deal, this is the standard for X1.

- Then there was a number of patches to install, which added up to a few GBs. With my modest internet connection (Around 2 MB / second), it would take a few hours to complete. I guess I'll go out for a bit and start playing later.

- Now the game is installed and I can finally jump in! First I have to decline the uPlay access. Yes, I'm sure I want to decline. Yes, I'm REALLY sure.

- Now it's asking me to pay $20 for the season pass. Certain features may be locked out unless I have this installed! I have no idea if I'll like the game or not, so I'll pass for now.

- Oh great, I'm STILL missing stuff because I didn't pre-order from 10 different retailers.

- Finally 4 hours later I can finally start playing, but now I have to go out again, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Remember when you could buy a game and start playing it right away? -_-
---
Breaking Hearts With Every Heartbeat
#2SxmfctPosted 7/13/2014 2:08:55 PM
This is why consoles are better than PCs

Put the game in the console and away you go!
---
sigless user logic
#3a687947Posted 7/13/2014 2:09:46 PM
Oddly enough when I bought assassin's creed IV all I had to do was install it. I was playing within an hour
#4ShELbY_GT500Posted 7/13/2014 2:10:15 PM
Completely agree with you here TC. I started to notice how ridiculous gaming was becoming since the 360 though.
#5Juzten76Posted 7/13/2014 2:10:29 PM
Heartless18 posted...
Today I picked up Assassin's Creed IV for a decent price and I had the afternoon free, so I decided to pop it into my X1 and check it out.

- First I had to install the game to my system, even though it's on a disc. No big deal, this is the standard for X1.

- Then there was a number of patches to install, which added up to a few GBs. With my modest internet connection (Around 2 MB / second), it would take a few hours to complete. I guess I'll go out for a bit and start playing later.

- Now the game is installed and I can finally jump in! First I have to decline the uPlay access. Yes, I'm sure I want to decline. Yes, I'm REALLY sure.

- Now it's asking me to pay $20 for the season pass. Certain features may be locked out unless I have this installed! I have no idea if I'll like the game or not, so I'll pass for now.

- Oh great, I'm STILL missing stuff because I didn't pre-order from 10 different retailers.

- Finally 4 hours later I can finally start playing, but now I have to go out again, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Remember when you could buy a game and start playing it right away? -_-

Funny how patches are the standard at a games launch now.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
#6IceHuskyPosted 7/13/2014 2:11:44 PM
Welcome to the modern age of Ubisoft and the anti-consumer corporation. Not too many other gaming publishers that are as greedy as Ubisoft is. They've proven it time-after-time-after-time again. Sorry you got hit with this lesson the hard way. :(
---
Current Consoles: Xbox One, PS3, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo Gold X
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
#7ShELbY_GT500Posted 7/13/2014 2:12:34 PM
Sxmfct posted...
This is why consoles are better than PCs

Put the game in the console and away you go!

Have you not got the new gen consoles? This is what's happening with them now. Every time I turn on either my One or PS4 I have to other update a game or do a system update. It's becoming a f****** joke.
#8LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/13/2014 2:19:30 PM
Make another topic when you have to buy an external hard-drive because of all the 50 gig games you have to mandatorily install and keep installed to play ^_^
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#9SxmfctPosted 7/13/2014 2:21:30 PM
ShELbY_GT500 posted...
Have you not got the new gen consoles? This is what's happening with them now. Every time I turn on either my One or PS4 I have to other update a game or do a system update. It's becoming a f****** joke.

But games don't need 1080p or 60fps, humans can't see a difference
---
sigless user logic
#10ShELbY_GT500Posted 7/13/2014 2:24:01 PM
Sxmfct posted...
ShELbY_GT500 posted...

But games don't need 1080p or 60fps, humans can't see a difference

You don't need to talk to me about trivial spec crap that I don't care about. I just like playing games for crying out loud.