It's finally dawned on me how rediculous modern gaming has become...

#81MRL3G3NDPosted 7/14/2014 10:02:26 AM
the major downfall for me is that they don't aim for innovative and mind blowing experiences...
Now everything is a cash grab PR extravaganza

I understand that back in the day it was risky to be so creative...but the benefit was plenty of new IP's and concepts and genres created...the consumer benefitted, but the companies were going out on a limb...

now there are 5 genres and everything is a copy or a sequel
---
Watch_Dogs-Dog Day (X1)
http://youtu.be/q08oNNp74uQ
#82vashkeyPosted 7/14/2014 11:05:48 AM
I let patches slide. There's always something that'll need fixing, especially in a big game with lots of actions and activities like this. Gigs is kind of much but if it's free additional content I'm all for it.

I'm with you on everything else though. Season passes and dlc especially shouldn't be thrown in your face the moment you start the game.
#83teh1337gosuPosted 7/14/2014 11:14:52 AM
MRL3G3ND posted...
the major downfall for me is that they don't aim for innovative and mind blowing experiences...

I understand that back in the day it was risky to be so creative...but the benefit was plenty of new IP's and concepts and genres created...the consumer benefitted, but the companies were going out on a limb...

But its the mass markets fault for backing large publishers into a corner. In the os2 era games weren't that expensive to make, so you had lots of AAA creative games. Now games cist too much too make and everything needs to be annualized and no risks allowed. They can't spend 30 million on a game to flop.

I'm happy I've got my GameCube and ps2 collections in tact, best generation IMO. Gen 7 is also good, but the industry has really become the movie industry.
---
How do you make that alcoholic chicken anyway?
#84MRL3G3NDPosted 7/14/2014 12:28:48 PM
teh1337gosu posted...
MRL3G3ND posted...

But its the mass markets fault for backing large publishers into a corner. In the os2 era games weren't that expensive to make, so you had lots of AAA creative games. Now games cist too much too make and everything needs to be annualized and no risks allowed. They can't spend 30 million on a game to flop.

I'm happy I've got my GameCube and ps2 collections in tact, best generation IMO. Gen 7 is also good, but the industry has really become the movie industry.

I agree..but that's where market research comes into play
I think kickstarter is doing a good job showing the industry that there is money to made by being innovative...a lot of people were ready for some sort of next level experience...the oculus rift not only showed people would buy a VR headset, but a lot of people were jumping to develop for it...thus sony followed suit

while Microsoft has maintained what has become the new position on innovation...we'll wait and see if it makes money then we'll rush our version to the market hoping it's not too late (see motion control)...

The companies go for sure shots...which is good from a business perspective, bad for consumers...this should not be a long term strategy as it is only temporary...pretty soon people will tire of COD55 & AC22...playing on a flat screen in front of them...
---
Watch_Dogs-Dog Day (X1)
http://youtu.be/q08oNNp74uQ
#85CRASS5000Posted 7/14/2014 12:47:50 PM
remember when you had to start Windows from DOS mode?
---
GT. CRASS RAT GT2. LBC iGoNegative
*Official Topic Killer*
#86fleadog2Posted 7/14/2014 12:51:21 PM
Completely agree. I don't even think about playing a game the day it comes out anymore. By the time I get off work at 5 and get home its around 530. To install a game and download the patch for me is around a 4 or 5 hour process. I go to bed around 1100 pm. Now I could play the game for 30 minutes to an 1 hour 30 minutes before bed but I hate starting a new game and not being able to put a good 3 or 4 hours in it right off the bat.
---
GT: Chuckles21z
#87IceHuskyPosted 7/14/2014 1:44:58 PM
Playing Fatal Fury 2 on my Sega Genesis a little while ago reminded me of why I love the 16-bit generation. Best generation...EVER!!!!
---
Current Consoles: Xbox One, PS3, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo Gold X
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
#88RagnawindPosted 7/14/2014 2:26:47 PM
CRASS5000 posted...
remember when you had to start Windows from DOS mode?

Even during that time period, you could just modify the autoexec.bat file to launch windows after you installed it, but that is a point for those who didn't know how to do it, which is a large majority.