Xbox One is not for kids

#1SMOG-097Posted 7/13/2014 3:26:15 PM
I'm going to get bashed for being a troll, but this system really is not for kids.

I picked one up yesterday (yes I already have a PS4), and we plugged it all in and my kids was super excited to play FIFA14.

After waiting 30+ mins for an update to install we finally thought we were good to go. Of course it freezes on signing in to Origin. I told him to be patient but 10 mins later it was still sitting there with the spinning icon.

I'll be damned if I can't figure out how to reset the darn thing. I tried all sorts of combinations of powering it off and ejecting the disc ... but damn the system seems to always remember the previous state and just kept going back to the frozen sign in screen.

Anyhow, I can't even remember what I did to finally kill it, but once I did, it was smooth sailing from there.

Day 2.

Popped in Forza. Holy crap I should have stuck this in before I went to sleep last night.

***** 14GB ****** Update. Seriously? 14GB??! It's like none of the code on the disc either exists or is useable.

I've had my share of updates on PS4 and it can be a bit frustrating, but I'm sure this system is annoying parents out there who do not understand these things.

Anyhow .. flame away.
#2phoenix9291Posted 7/13/2014 3:46:31 PM
So it isn't for kids because there are game updates?
And because you personally had an issue with the game? Which by the sounds of your issue with FIFA, one of your first reactions wasn't to go back to the home screen, hit the menu button, and actually quit the game. Instead it just went back to how it was due to the Xbox One's instant resume feature.

Sounds like a lot of impatience along with a minor game glitch made worse due to user error.
---
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup
#3DonVito1990Posted 7/13/2014 3:48:48 PM
phoenix9291 posted...
So it isn't for kids because there are game updates?
And because you personally had an issue with the game? Which by the sounds of your issue with FIFA, one of your first reactions wasn't to go back to the home screen, hit the menu button, and actually quit the game. Instead it just went back to how it was due to the Xbox One's instant resume feature.

Sounds like a lot of impatience along with a minor game glitch made worse due to user error.

This. You'll get the hang of your system fairly quickly. You just got it so give it time.
---
HughNeutron posted...
been washing WWE since 2009.
#4Mspaul09Posted 7/13/2014 3:50:08 PM
The system holding your spot in a game is one of the selling features to the Xbox one. To completely restart a game just go to the home screen, highlight the game, hit menu, then go down to quit or exit or whatever the command is. As for it freezing on the Origin log in, I'd say that's more of an issue with either you're internet or with the Origin server, could be wrong though.
---
Gamertag: ZombiPenguin00
REVENGE SOLVES EVERYTHING
#5CapwnDPosted 7/13/2014 4:11:53 PM
When I bought Forza digitally I was able to play it after about 15 minutes.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#6rusty12000Posted 7/13/2014 4:30:31 PM(edited)
They rush the game to production months and months before it is ready then patch it before release. sadly this is becoming a trend in the game world.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#7boolzeroPosted 7/13/2014 4:34:24 PM
rusty12000 posted...
They rush the game to production months and months before it is ready then patch it before release. sadly this is becoming a trend in the game world.

Very true and it doesn't matter what platform you okay games on, this is prevalent on pretty much ever platform you can game on, from PC to consoles to mobile apps...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#8jrr18Posted 7/13/2014 4:36:14 PM
14g's thats more than some full games i downloaded
---
upjumped console peasant
PSN/steam jrr101
#9Juzten76Posted 7/13/2014 4:38:41 PM
CapwnD posted...
When I bought Forza digitally I was able to play it after about 15 minutes.

Same here, but I don't doubt others have waited much longer. It's hit or miss.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
#10SMOG-097(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 8:43:17 AM
My point kind of was .. how is an 8 year old supposed to figure this out? If I wasn't there and his mom was home, they would have never figured it out. He just wanted to plug in soccer and play.

I suppose you could call it the Wii U, but I think there is still a place for gaming systems that are just that. Plug in and play for kids. No updates, no sign ins, just put the game in and press "GO".