Xbox One is not for kids

#11phoenix9291Posted 7/14/2014 10:49:30 AM
If a system is purchased for an 8 year old to play then it is the responsibility of the parents to research and be aware of the features of the system as well as how it works.
My half-sister who just turned 10 would have been able to figure that out though. I don't live with her due to age difference but whenever I would visit she would want to game with me. She's had her own system for years now and has learned how to use it perfectly.
---
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup
#12kennyynnooPosted 7/14/2014 10:52:30 AM
It's good that it's hard for kids, they should read books or go outside and play. Worry about games when they are grown ups with jobs and doing well.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#13popping4itPosted 7/14/2014 11:01:37 AM(edited)
i dunno when i was a kid i figured out all that crap on my own...

inb4 "lol it was so easy back then"

uh no it wasnt. pc games pre-steam were a complete ****-show. digging through sound drivers and essentially trial and error your way through irq and dma settings which would crash your sound and you've have to reboot the computer to get working again.
---
whens mahvel?
#14kennyynnooPosted 7/14/2014 11:14:00 AM
popping4it posted...
i dunno when i was a kid i figured out all that crap on my own...

inb4 "lol it was so easy back then"

uh no it wasnt. pc games pre-steam were a complete ****-show. digging through sound drivers and essentially trial and error your way through irq and dma settings which would crash your sound and you've have to reboot the computer to get working again.

If the kid wants to play bad enough he will figure it out...ie blowing in Nintendo cartridges to get them to play, check when I was 12 I wanted to hear my music on my Sega genesis so I wired my tape player to mix with the game music.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#15regsantotomasPosted 7/14/2014 11:24:16 AM
*shrug*

My son loves the Xbox One. And the Wii U. And his iPad. And the 3DS

Games are ready on all platforms when he is ready/allowed to play.

Non-issue at our home
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#16pnut3844Posted 7/14/2014 6:34:59 PM
SMOG-097 posted...
My point kind of was .. how is an 8 year old supposed to figure this out? If I wasn't there and his mom was home, they would have never figured it out. He just wanted to plug in soccer and play.

I suppose you could call it the Wii U, but I think there is still a place for gaming systems that are just that. Plug in and play for kids. No updates, no sign ins, just put the game in and press "GO".

Well first off, let me say, and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise kids, but when my 5 year old daughter plays my 360 or xbone, I get the game set up for her everytime. So if there is something she can't figure out, I handle it. Even if she's playing say, ac3 and gets surrounded by enemies, she comes to me and daddy helps her out. We can't expect our young ones to know how to do these things. And if we stick them in front of a game and say here, have at it, then we either don't care enough to help them out, or just want to stick them in front of the tv to get rid of them. Either way, that's horrible parenting. If you truly want your child to be a gamer, you have to HELP them be a gamer. No one had to help me, but back in my day games were as simple as popping in the nes cartridge and going to town. Think of it as father/child bonding time. I take my time and explain to my daughter what I'm doing and why I'm doing. They won't learn otherwise. If you truly want a system that requires little to no supervision, get them a Wii, wii u or 3ds. I bought my daughter a 2ds, and even though she can work the system inside and out, I still sit with her and give her gaming advice. To me, being a gamer my entire life, nothing gives me the same feeling as sitting with my daughter and passing on my knowledge to her, or even just seeing the look of excitement on her face when she learns a new shortcut in mario cart 7. Or when she successfully takes down a squad Templars in AC. The things you mentioned as a burden are the little things I enjoy sharing with my daughter. Just take 15 minutes and observe your child playing games, the wonderment in their faces and eyes. That's what it's all about. That's why we enjoyed it.
#17TheGam3925Posted 7/14/2014 6:41:23 PM
phoenix9291 posted...
If a system is purchased for an 8 year old to play then it is the responsibility of the parents to research and be aware of the features of the system as well as how it works.
My half-sister who just turned 10 would have been able to figure that out though. I don't live with her due to age difference but whenever I would visit she would want to game with me. She's had her own system for years now and has learned how to use it perfectly.

Tell that to the clueless parents during the holiday shopping season. They don't research s***, they just buy what their kids put on their Christmas list.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#18phoenix9291Posted 7/14/2014 6:54:59 PM
TheGam3925 posted...
phoenix9291 posted...

Tell that to the clueless parents during the holiday shopping season. They don't research s***, they just buy what their kids put on their Christmas list.

Yeah well that's being an irresponsible consumer at the very least.
---
#19blacklabelicePosted 7/14/2014 9:09:16 PM
phoenix9291 posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
phoenix9291 posted...

im sure people dont spend all the time doing the research and finding out every last little detail about anything that costs anything if they are buying it for somebody else. especially their children.

its being a parent.
#20phoenix9291Posted 7/14/2014 9:55:38 PM
blacklabelice posted...
phoenix9291 posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
phoenix9291 posted...

im sure people dont spend all the time doing the research and finding out every last little detail about anything that costs anything if they are buying it for somebody else. especially their children.

its being a parent.

That's why I said at the very least haha
---