Does anyone else mainly buy Digital Copys?

#41MrSpaM111Posted 7/15/2014 1:57:18 AM
If the digital price was cheaper I'd buy it digital, unfortunately in the UK the digital prices are all 10 more than you can get them off amazon for, so I don't see the point. Just baffles me as to why the digital prices are more expensive when it actually costs them less to distribute them that way, until that changes I'm sticking with physical discs, I'm not lazy enough to not be able to walk to my post box to pick my game up for the sake of 10.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#42EstocassassinPosted 7/15/2014 2:35:57 AM
pnut3844 posted...
regsantotomas posted...
pnut3844 posted...
Then again I'm old school, different mindset than you youngsters.

God bless you. I've been playing since the late 70s but I appreciate being called a youngster. :)

Well obviously I know there are others like myself, which I enjoy. But it seems the majority of posters are of the younger generation, who only care about which system is selling better, which has better exclusives, which has the better version of multi plat, and the worst one yet, resolution. Just enjoy the games brothers. Have fun, please, that's what it's all about.

Just want to say you are the only one to bring this crap up the entire topic
#43EstocassassinPosted 7/15/2014 2:48:48 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
If the digital price was cheaper I'd buy it digital, unfortunately in the UK the digital prices are all 10 more than you can get them off amazon for, so I don't see the point. Just baffles me as to why the digital prices are more expensive when it actually costs them less to distribute them that way, until that changes I'm sticking with physical discs, I'm not lazy enough to not be able to walk to my post box to pick my game up for the sake of 10.

I partially agree with this, microsoft seems to refuse to acknowledge that there is an exchange rate and i'm not really prepared to pay the prices they ask for on some games. When titanfall was released it was 60 digital and that is around $80-US, but i picked it up at a local shop for 40 on release day.

I do like to buy games digital when they go on sale though and i would really like to go all digital but until microsoft fixes their prices there's no way, i wouldn't even mind paying a little over retail but anymore than 10 extra is a complete joke.
#44FistersaurusPosted 7/15/2014 3:21:43 AM
I would go all digital but....

Lapanui posted...
My only digital games are the only that aren't available physically. Digital games are expensive compared to their physical versions...

I think in the US, they are about the same price so it's not like they lose anything, in the UK, they are atleast 25% more than physical copies.

Looking at Sniper Elite 3, I can get a physical copy for 41 on Amazon, it's 50 on the Xbox Store. Also, Murdered Soul Suspect was 32 at release in some stores, but I think most places were about 35. It's 45 on the Xbox Store. I can actually get the game right now off Amazon for 28. That's 17 more for the convenience of playing it today and not having to swap discs...

Could you imagine having to pay $75 for a digital copy when you can get it physically for $60 or less if you wait for a few weeks? I bet you wouldn't buy digital at all if they were that much.
#45LapanuiPosted 7/15/2014 3:48:22 AM
Estocassassin posted...
I partially agree with this, microsoft seems to refuse to acknowledge that there is an exchange rate and i'm not really prepared to pay the prices they ask for on some games. When titanfall was released it was 60 digital and that is around $80-US, but i picked it up at a local shop for 40 on release day.

I do like to buy games digital when they go on sale though and i would really like to go all digital but until microsoft fixes their prices there's no way, i wouldn't even mind paying a little over retail but anymore than 10 extra is a complete joke.

This isn't just exclusive to MS either, it's no different with Sony. Sniper Elite IIII is also 50 on the PSN Store. Infamous Second Son is still 50 on the PSN Store, but it's 36 on Amazon.

Take an older game, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, on both consoles. 45 on PSN Store, 40 on Xbox Store. Amazon, 37 for PS4 and 27 for X1.

They need people to keep track of game prices and such to at least create some competition.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#46EstocassassinPosted 7/15/2014 3:51:40 AM
Lapanui posted...
Estocassassin posted...

This isn't just exclusive to MS either, it's no different with Sony. Sniper Elite IIII is also 50 on the PSN Store. Infamous Second Son is still 50 on the PSN Store, but it's 36 on Amazon.

Take an older game, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, on both consoles. 45 on PSN Store, 40 on Xbox Store. Amazon, 37 for PS4 and 27 for X1.

They need people to keep track of game prices and such to at least create some competition.

Yeah i have no doubt that it's the same on psn, i was just stating what i myself have observed.
#47Jptremblay13Posted 7/15/2014 4:06:48 AM
No. You can't resell them or trade them
#48phineasfoolPosted 7/15/2014 5:34:09 AM
Dev445 posted...
Straight Digital this gen. I'm loving not having to switch discs and its less clutter everywhere. The only XB1 game I have physical is DR3 and I got that when I first got a XB1. As soon as its on sale or on GWG I'm selling my physical disc.

Never going back to physical except for my 3DS, and WiiU cause of the limited space they have. XB1 and PS4 will be all digital for me.

With the Wii U and 3DS you can get more storage space easily. I have a 2TB external hard drive on my Wii U and a 32GB card on my 3DS. This provides plenty of room. The only physical games I have for them are Mass Effect 3 and Skylanders since they aren't available digitally.
---
XBLive - phineasfool
NNID - phineasfool
#49PrinceMedionPosted 7/15/2014 5:59:59 AM
DepreceV2 posted...
I only have one Physical Copy of a game which is 2K14 and I bought that game with my Xbox. It just seems changing Discs is a thing of the past. It's so convenient to switch from game to game to Netflix to TV to whatever on the fly. I don't think I will ever buy a Physical copy again unless I'm getting a great deal. I know this hurts retails but it is far more convenient to me. Anyone else sticking to Digital?

I do not understand people like you. I rather want to insult you for being so foolish but hell you clearly aren't alone and that just makes me sad.

Buying digital means the game has no value. Once its bought you can't do anything with it, can't give it to a friend, can't sell it to anyone, can't do crap with it. Its stuck on your hard drive until you delete it to make more room. Then you have to think about the future, 5 years from now, 10 years from now are you still going to be able to redownload the game from Microsoft? They shut down servers for games all of the time to save costs its not at all unlikely that eventually you won't be able to redownload that game eventually.

Then you have to go into pricing. Digital games cost less to make yet they charge us the consumers the same so in the end you are getting ripped off every time you buy a digital game. It's not often many of these games go on sale and even when they do the physical is almost always the cheaper deal.

You could attempt to say its more convenient but with the way downloads work and many places having data caps on downloads digital is flat out impossible for some people.

Personally I think people who embrace digital only right now are complete fools and are whats wrong with consumers atm. You shouldn't be so trusting of any of these companies as they do try to screw us over as much as they can. The fact that they charge the same price for digital games as physical is proof enough of that.

Please be smarter or at least more aware of what you end up doing with your money.
---
youtube.com/thenovelmike
#50boolzeroPosted 7/15/2014 7:05:05 AM
PrinceMedion posted...
Stuff...

Okay, here's my problem:
1. You assume everyone has the same buying reasons and methodology as you. I don't need to buy for the same reasons you do, nor am I "not smart" for not following your example of purchasing decisions. I've been buying my own games with my own money since I was ten. Not everyone lives by the "buy, trade in, buy used" mentality. I prefer to own my games and own them permanently. I prefer digital, though I still like physical too, it's not so much a necessity for me since I've been digital with all my other mediums for several years now with no issues. If we are to go down that route of placing purchasing justification on games, then we are all being irresponsible with our money since games aren't a necessity, they are a luxury item, and as such a wasteful use of expenses, period! You don't get to say "you are being more wasteful with your wasteful spending then I am!"...

I don't sell my games, ever. I never have, I never will. I have old Atari 2600 cartridges and a system that still works, barring some frazzled looking controllers, so that you get my point. Not every gamer engages in the resale market and there is a significant portion of us who just don't, period. It's entertainment to me, not an investment. I don't buy a movie or a book and wonder how much I can sell it for after I've used it a few dozen times, so for me, the same logic applies to games.

2. I'm almost forty. I don't lend games to friends, I'm sorry, that boat sailed long ago when I was a young teen and I haven't lent a game to anyone since I've been able to buy my own games. The last few times I have in my early twenties, I've gotten my games back in conditions that make me want to punch kittens! People don't take care of my stuff the way I take care of my stuff and I hate getting games back with a cracked case, jacked up cover, crumpled manual, scratched up disc and the like because someone doesn't hold the same kind of care standards to their games as I do. Again, I keep my games for life, so I keep my things looking good!

3. You are paying MSRP for digital games because corporate chain stores would throw a fit if these companies tried to undercut them on digital sales, and these companies can't afford to risk these retailers threatening to not stock their games on store shelves because it is still the main way people buy their games for now. When console gamers can actually stop being ten years behind every other medium and actually embrace digital is when we can start seeing lower prices on digital goods like we do on Apple, Android, Steam and the like. So, blame gamers and stores for the pricing. Also, digital games don't cost less to make, I don't know where you get that idea... Cases and manuals are cents to the dollar, and the shelf storage is substituted for server storage (just because it is on the internet doesn't make it free to stay there, even though some people seem to think the internet is some magical place where if things are on it it doesn't cost anything).

4. Don't insult people for their buying habits just because they don't share your habits... It is neither mature or conducive to having a proper discussion. PC gamers have been digital for the past ten years. 80% of PC games according to statistics in 2013, are bought digitally. The same statistic applies to music. Digital movie and TV purchasing is also on the rise. The truth here is that console gamers are behind the curve when it comes to this stuff, period. Besides, it's nice to have a physical copy if you wish to sell it, but it serves the gamer who likes to maintain and play their games no good. Discs rot, discs break, but I can back up games to several places AND still have them available to digitally redownload.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...