I tried using my Xbox One without Kinect, but it is just so cumbersome.

#1Swan3624Posted 7/14/2014 4:33:38 PM
For about two weeks there, I was using my Xbox One without the Kinect. It's an unnecessary power hog and adds nothing to the experience. I can do everything the Kinect can do but without the dumb voice controls.

That's what I had originally thought, at least. But I just hooked my Kinect back up to my One and I realize how necessary it is for a pleasurable user interface experience. It's true you can snap stuff, open apps, record clips, etc. without Kinect. But the way the interface is laid out, it is almost a necessity to have the Kinect for a smooth experience. Otherwise you have to go to one menu, then run around the different tiles that all look pretty much the same, then wait for it to load, then do the option...

But "Xbox Record That" and voila! It's recorded.

I really should not be so hard on Kinect. It's clear that it has been improved greatly from its Xbox 360 iteration and really is quite fun and easy to use. NSA spying be damned, I really like my Kinect now. Especially after this stint of not using it. My experience has been so much more fun now that I'm using it again!

/blogFAQs

- excerpt from Doctor Nelson Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Kinect
#2RockguyKevPosted 7/14/2014 5:16:28 PM
It is kinda of weird when you stop being a teenager and you realize that just saying stuff to fit in with the other people on reddit doesn't make it true.
#3Mspaul09Posted 7/14/2014 5:21:21 PM
RockguyKev posted...
It is kinda of weird when you stop being a teenager and you realize that just saying stuff to fit in with the other people on reddit doesn't make it true.

It's really kinda sad when you feel the need to criticize someone for having a different opinion than yours.

On topic, yeah I know what you mean. I unplugged mine with the thought of I really don't use it that much. Two days later I plugged it back in.
---
Gamertag: ZombiPenguin00
REVENGE SOLVES EVERYTHING
#4dnmtPosted 7/14/2014 5:32:29 PM
I think this speaks more to the Xbone's poor UI than the Kinect's inherent utility.
#5TBONE_OGPosted 7/14/2014 5:34:12 PM
RockguyKev posted...

Haha. I liked this.
---
Always O.G.
#6pnut3844Posted 7/14/2014 6:44:21 PM
TC, I totally agree. Especially using voice command to o directly to settings, instead of the bs required to do it with the controller. People must have had a bad aftertaste in their mouth after the original kinect failure. And for only $50 more? You can't go wrong. Give it time, Kinect will be integral with xbone one gaming.
#7uniquebadgerPosted 7/14/2014 6:45:38 PM
dnmt posted...
I think this speaks more to the Xbone's poor UI than the Kinect's inherent utility.
#8x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 7/14/2014 7:00:17 PM
I've been without Kinect for a few weeks and it doesn't make a difference to me. I never turned my Xbox on with voice commands nor did I care to say "record that". The only thing that changed is I got paid to sell what I personally consider to be a paperweight. It has uses but none that I cared for.
#9x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 7/14/2014 7:01:10 PM
pnut3844 posted...
TC, I totally agree. Especially using voice command to o directly to settings, instead of the bs required to do it with the controller. People must have had a bad aftertaste in their mouth after the original kinect failure. And for only $50 more? You can't go wrong. Give it time, Kinect will be integral with xbone one gaming.

Going to settings isn't difficult. Click the guide button, start button and scroll down to settings. Lol
#10Laylow12Posted 7/14/2014 7:05:28 PM
uniquebadger posted...
dnmt posted...

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin