Do you guys think Microsoft should develop a Super Smash Bros game for XBOX ONE?

#51boolzeroPosted 7/14/2014 9:47:44 PM(edited)
I think people are missing the fact that it works for Nintendo not because of their number of characters, but because of the implausible premise with silly, fun, implausible characters mashed together who aren't already typically known for being real world and gritty, but rather light and fun. I don't think gamers are clambering to see big head versions of a Locust and Marcus Fenix slap each other around a stage as they by for power ups Powerstone style, with silly commentation like "Superawesome!" popping overhead when Marcus picks up a Banshee over his head and slams it on the Locust solider, causing the character to sway back and forth and a string of stars circles his head! Sounds great to us crazy folks, but the rest of the casual gaming demo, the ones that bring the bulk money in, would look at it, scratch their head, and go back to playing CoD or Madden.

With the gritty "M" rated stable of characters MS has there is no way that you could pull off a light and fun game that apes the Smash Bros. fashion. It would surely have to go the Mortal Kombat route of over the top, and that would lead to an M rating, leading to less sales because it's appeal would be limited to only the core fan-base that gets it and even less of that group of those willing to step out of their core franchises to entertain playing this (think of it this way: Halo fans love Halo, but a much smaller portion jumped on board Halo Wars despite it being a Halo game because, well, it's not a "proper" Halo game)!

I'd personally buy it though I'd think it take a lot of magic to get the formula to work and it would honestly sell like crap, but the Gamefaqs community would believe that everybody in the world would want it and must love it... Which wouldn't be the case... So my vote is no... Because I'd rather not have a failed game just to have experienced it and potentially destroy that idea of future prospects for it entirely.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#52kayoticdreamzPosted 7/14/2014 9:47:42 PM
those whining about master chief.....lets not forget their was a Spartan in DOA4 that fought hand to hand combat and wasn't terrible. so a hand to hand fighting Spartan has been done before and can be done again.

reading this thread there is clearly enough characters.....whether it'd be fun or not is another story. all I know is I'd probably buy it.
#53boolzeroPosted 7/14/2014 9:52:56 PM
kayoticdreamz posted...
those whining about master chief.....lets not forget their was a Spartan in DOA4 that fought hand to hand combat and wasn't terrible. so a hand to hand fighting Spartan has been done before and can be done again.

reading this thread there is clearly enough characters.....whether it'd be fun or not is another story. all I know is I'd probably buy it.

And there's my argument.., I just don't see how they could make it fun. SSB series works because it is zany characters and zany fun. Gears, Halo, Locust, Alan Wake. Mech Assault dude. Maybe a Lost Odyssey character or blast corps guy. A Kinect Sport guy and girl in Gi maybe. Aside from Banjo, Kazooie and perhaps some Zombies ate my Nieghbors chia artery, I don't see the zany, much less personality.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#54pnut3844Posted 7/14/2014 10:26:27 PM
TheGam3925 posted...
zerooo0 posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Not gonna lie, but the character lineup would be pretty bad compared to Nintendo and Sony.

Please Sony PSABR lineup was pathetic compared to what it could've bee. Fat Princess I mean really? They pick her over many other characters they could've added.

Of course their is also Dante, Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Big Daddy, Raiden, Nathan Drake, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Zeus and Isaac Clarke. But none of those characters are any good in your opinion am I right?

But good job cherry picking Fat Princess as your reason for the lineup being "pathetic" lol.

Dante was on xbox as well
#55UnhelpfulNPCPosted 7/14/2014 10:39:50 PM
boolzero posted...
kayoticdreamz posted...

And there's my argument.., I just don't see how they could make it fun. SSB series works because it is zany characters and zany fun. Gears, Halo, Locust, Alan Wake. Mech Assault dude. Maybe a Lost Odyssey character or blast corps guy. A Kinect Sport guy and girl in Gi maybe. Aside from Banjo, Kazooie and perhaps some Zombies ate my Nieghbors chia artery, I don't see the zany, much less personality.

Why does it have to be zany? Marvel vs Capcom always blended serious/gritty characters like Akuma, Magneto, and Jill Valentine with not so gritty characters like Megaman and Roll. Seeing as KI is a thing, I could see MS's mash up fighter being closer to a traditional fighter than a straight up Smash clone.

Besides, if MK, Robocop, and Toxic Avenger can have a Saturday morning cartoon show, I'm sure devs can tone down the gorier IPs enough to be in a Smash-like fighter along with lighter-hearted IPs.
#56kayoticdreamzPosted 7/14/2014 11:08:51 PM
UnhelpfulNPC posted...
boolzero posted...
kayoticdreamz posted...

Why does it have to be zany? Marvel vs Capcom always blended serious/gritty characters like Akuma, Magneto, and Jill Valentine with not so gritty characters like Megaman and Roll. Seeing as KI is a thing, I could see MS's mash up fighter being closer to a traditional fighter than a straight up Smash clone.

Besides, if MK, Robocop, and Toxic Avenger can have a Saturday morning cartoon show, I'm sure devs can tone down the gorier IPs enough to be in a Smash-like fighter along with lighter-hearted IPs.

this....granted Im crazy enough to enjoy a zany mixing of those characters but this could just as easily drop the zan and have at it. they could of course go the gory route too which I wouldn't be entirely opposed to either.

either way this could be fun and I don't like the idea that people assume it just cannot be fun. that's close mind thinking. for petes sake who thought an Italian plumber stomping on mushrooms would be fun? turns out its a lot of fun.....its all in how you make it and present it. and most importantly the people behind it have to love it and that will shine through usually.
#57Run_2_the_HillsPosted 7/14/2014 11:15:27 PM
haha no they have less notable IPs than sony and look how sony's turned out.
#58Legend524Posted 7/15/2014 2:18:48 AM
some of you guys are really pushing for this aren't you?

Gears sounds terrible as a party fighter.i just cant see it. i imagine marcus phoenix vs banjoo kazooie...all i picture is banjo getting sawed in half as marcus screams with blood splatting on his face. marcus belongs in mortal kombat, as a guess character if he is going to be in another game.

the fact that one of the top choices that comes to your mind is the boy from ghoulies.... that alone suggest your grasping for straws.
#59Auction SniperPosted 7/15/2014 5:03:42 AM
Legend524 posted...
Gears sounds terrible as a party fighter.i just cant see it. i imagine marcus phoenix vs banjoo kazooie...all i picture is banjo getting sawed in half as marcus screams with blood splatting on his face.

Oh come on, how would that not be hilariously entertaining?

On, it is seems that nobody has mentioned that they could just throw in the Battletoads and some KI characters in for good measure.
---
"Sleep is for babies, gamers play all night!" - Thomas Falsetta
#60Auction SniperPosted 7/15/2014 5:07:02 AM(edited)
Legend524 posted...
Gears sounds terrible as a party fighter.i just cant see it. i imagine marcus phoenix vs banjoo kazooie...all i picture is banjo getting sawed in half as marcus screams with blood splatting on his face.

Come on, how would that not be hilariously entertaining?

Oh, it is seems that nobody has mentioned that they could just throw in the Battletoads, the dude from Wizards and Warriors, and some KI characters in for good measure.
---
"Sleep is for babies, gamers play all night!" - Thomas Falsetta