MS to announce its biggest job cuts (close to 6000) including Xbox staff

#51LooksLikeRainPosted 7/15/2014 8:56:30 AM(edited)
Anyone familiar with Nadellas history knows that he lays off everyone who isn't actually contributing to anything so the departments can be run by engineers instead of business guys who don't know anything about what's being developed. This could help them run more efficiently.

Also, I'm sure a lot of the lay offs will be due to the Nokia acquisition and overlapping jobs resulting from it.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#52scoobydoobydontPosted 7/15/2014 8:52:56 AM
BPSatsuki posted...
sucks to see people lose their jobs, but i guess MS financial is not as invincible as most people think

I like orange pants because horses.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#53AceAndJunpeiPosted 7/15/2014 9:07:36 AM
shauntennine posted...
ExempliGratia posted...
That's not a double standard. Closing a game studio down is way bigger than firing some marketing people.

It's 6000 people... doesn't matter what department they're from. Only to an entitled gamer is closing down a game studio with maybe a few hundred employees "way bigger" than laying off 6000 people.

This.

Feeling anything but empathy and sympathy for these people is a disgrace.

The apathetic "who cares" attitude is why this country sucks nowadays.

Thanks a lot for destroying America.
---
You're like a puzzle that can't be solved, some pieces never fill the gaps
#54OkayPlayer1Posted 7/15/2014 9:10:35 AM
Did anyone read the article? Anyone at all? First, feel bad for anyone losing there job, hope things turn around quickly for them.

MS added 30,000 jobs when they acquired Nokia. Now they are trimming down redundant positions as a result of the merger. Too bad for the people losing their jobs and I'm sure they'll rebound quickly (along with getting a pretty awesome severance package) but it is in no way a negative indicator of Microsoft or the Xbox division (which is barely even referenced in the article).
#55scoobydoobydontPosted 7/15/2014 9:13:04 AM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
Did anyone read the article?

It's a troll topic started by a troll who got the troll ball rolling right in the first post, your expectations are too high.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#56ExempliGratiaPosted 7/15/2014 9:17:25 AM
shauntennine posted...
ExempliGratia posted...
That's not a double standard. Closing a game studio down is way bigger than firing some marketing people.

It's 6000 people... doesn't matter what department they're from. Only to an entitled gamer is closing down a game studio with maybe a few hundred employees "way bigger" than laying off 6000 people.

Doesn't matter what department their from? Did you read the article? How does closing a game studio the same as firing marketing?

Stop trying to spin man.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#57ExempliGratiaPosted 7/15/2014 9:18:46 AM
AceAndJunpei posted...
shauntennine posted...
ExempliGratia posted...

This.

Feeling anything but empathy and sympathy for these people is a disgrace.

The apathetic "who cares" attitude is why this country sucks nowadays.

Thanks a lot for destroying America.

Lol at the amount of fail you just exhibited. Trolololo
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#58funguy10Posted 7/15/2014 9:30:13 AM
Good, hope this will make MS wake up! I have been with MS since the original xbox. I refuse to buy xbox one after Ms knew, prior to launch, that the rods were already in the 360s. The 360 is highly overrated. I wont buy next gen from them. Was with them for 10 years and they have lost my trust. Sorry for the employees though.
#59billsfanno1Posted 7/15/2014 9:32:42 AM(edited)
Part of deriving value from a large acquisition such as Nokia is integrating them into your business and cutting redundancies. This amounts to a 20% reduction of inherited staff, which really isn't that shocking if you think about it in these terms. Where MS is stronger, the cuts will be in Nokia. Where Nokia is stronger, the cuts will be on the MS side. It's quite possible that Xbox Marketing cuts in Europe will result in some Nokia Marketing employees keeping their jobs. That makes sense considering Nokia is much better at it than MS.

All that said, it absolutely sucks that this many people will be losing their jobs. My company goes through this seemingly every two years and I have seen many mentors and friends affected.
#60Exodus_PrimePosted 7/15/2014 9:34:32 AM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
Did anyone read the article? Anyone at all? First, feel bad for anyone losing there job, hope things turn around quickly for them.

MS added 30,000 jobs when they acquired Nokia. Now they are trimming down redundant positions as a result of the merger. Too bad for the people losing their jobs and I'm sure they'll rebound quickly (along with getting a pretty awesome severance package) but it is in no way a negative indicator of Microsoft or the Xbox division (which is barely even referenced in the article).

Of course they left that part out, because you know agendas and stuff. I was waiting to see if anyone brought this up, nobody did any of the usuals anyway.

Also, Microsoft is doomed I'm going to trade it in my Xbox One right now.

---
---
"Trolls are the dudebros of Gamefaqs. They just don't realize it." - curtland
Xbox One-PlayStation 4-Xbox 360-PS3-Vita