does Microsoft feel sad about Kinect?

#11vigorm0rtisPosted 7/16/2014 12:01:32 AM
Same here, Rome. I was surprised, the Laylow I knew wasn't... well, wasn't like this. Shame.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF http://i.imgur.com/D9R0iaQ.gif
#12Rome218Posted 7/16/2014 12:03:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#13Rome218Posted 7/16/2014 12:05:09 AM
Hey cool seeing you Vigo. =) I don't remember seeing much of you here. o_O More of the 360 boards.
#14Crystyn_7BPosted 7/16/2014 12:05:55 AM
Microsoft is not a living entity capable of feeling regret.
#15SigmaLongshotPosted 7/16/2014 12:41:19 AM
I don't know how Microsoft gets the reputation of cold and uninviting. Since the early 00s all of the big three have done and said some pretty diabolical things, but selective memory, and all that.

In the past fourteen years, they've built and sold consoles. All three have done that.
-They've imposed proprietary accessories. All three have done that.
-They charge you for an online infrastructure that they pioneered. Sony also does this.
-Microsoft pay for exclusivity on a game-by-game basis. All three do this.
-Microsoft have abandoned hardware they promised to support. All three have done this.
-Microsoft was panned for letting people promote their console on Youtube. Sony actively blackballed and placed formal warnings to Kotaku, Gamasutra and Gamespot for printing "less than favourable" press about them, forcing them to rewrite with a more positive spin.

Just remember for every "MicroSpies!" there's a "Rumble in controllers isn't needed, it's last-gen" palaver or a "Nah, we don't need to pack an AC adapter in with your new console!"

I see Microsoft's follies, but don't pretend the others are paragons.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#16TenzhiPosted 7/16/2014 12:46:38 AM
Crystyn_7B posted...
Microsoft is not a living entity capable of feeling regret.

...yet
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#17dnmtPosted 7/16/2014 2:51:49 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
They should
#18EoinPosted 7/16/2014 3:25:58 AM
Rome218 posted...
I always felt the kinect's success on 360 was a fluke, and they wanted lightning to strike twice.

I don't think the original Kinect was a fluke, as I don't think there was much luck involved. It was well-marketed, and well-supported (initially) and caught the tail end of the motion control trend.

I suspect what happened was that Kinect was so successful in such a short time that Microsoft added it into their next console without ever worrying about it, as it was such an obvious benefit for a new system to have. I don't think they ever got someone to play devil's advocate, to try to understand and present the case against Kinect.

I think that they also made the assumption that Sony would package a camera, based off the big success of Kinect and the moderate success of Move (a story that got a bit lost - Sony sold 15 million of the things, a lot higher than I think most people would guess). If the PS4 had included a camera, third party developers would have been more comfortable making camera-based games, and the Kinect would have been better for that than the new PlayStation camera.

If we try to look at things with 2011's eyes, the decision to include Kinect was totally understandable. At that point in time, it's the best-selling consumer electronics device ever and two-thirds of all Xbox 360s being sold were Kinect bundles. Making it a default controller was the logical next step. There should have been a voice at Microsoft saying "let's re-examine the case a year from now when the hype dies down", but if there was, it looks to me like it was drowned out by the other voices saying "look how much it's selling".
#19MrSpaM111Posted 7/16/2014 3:31:08 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
Laylow12 posted...
Yes. It's a revenue generator for them.

Hardware is not a revenue generator in the video game industry. MS has lost money in Kinect's development and implementation.

They've lost money on the targeted advertising the kinect was supposed to be used for
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#20quincy2000aPosted 7/16/2014 3:54:57 AM
"does Microsoft feel sad about Kinect?"

What they are sad about is that their plan to shove it down the throats of game players didn't work.

It did work on me, unfortunately, but the majority of players weren't having it, either because they saw what Microsoft was trying to pull or the price.

While, of course, acknowledging that some of you actually like the Kinect, congrats to those who considered it a power sucking albatross and dodged the Kinect bullet.
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."