News: '' Microsoft to Shut Down Xbox Entertainment Studios "

#51SoulTrapperPosted 7/18/2014 8:52:53 AM
slowdog76 posted...

sigh.....

right ok then

1) you still have no proof. you are completely speculating. 360 sales at the end of the 1st year sat at just over 5 million. show me that the xb1 has sold less than that. if we're going off numbers shipped, then 5 million was reported as shipped back in april. but still, you have no sales data and you are still just speculating.

Nope, that was at the end of the 3rd quarter, by June 2006.
By the end of the year, they sold 7.6 million consoles.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360

So right now, the xbox one is already behind the 360.

That's pretty much the point: even in the best case scenario, the xbox one is behind. Even if MS has sold every console that was shipped, which we know it hasn't, it's still behind the 360.

2) since when does selling less than a competitor = struggling?

Now where did I use "struggling"?

And it's selling less than ALL competitors.

3) potential customers say that want a kinectless xbox. they make it happen. what they said in the past is irrelevent. potential customers asked for a purchase option. they provided it. sales have increased as a result.

Nice spin, but no one actually believes Microsoft dropped the kinect out of good will.
They dropped it because sales were floundering.

The kinect was supposed to provide a huge return with the NuAds and it's data gathering.
The fact that they gave up that huge potential profit shows exactly how much they wanted to get their sales numbers up.

4) how does the eventual closing of a studio designed to create and acquire tv content for purchase and broadcast on a range of products solely effect a gaming division?

I guess you aren't very good at reading: it's XBOX entertainment studio, not GENERAL entertainment studio.
The studio was specifically created to bring entertainment content to the xbox one.

We all know TV was supposed to become one of the pillars of the xbox one.
It's almost as indicative of "not doing well" as removing the kinect.

And then there's this news, which arrived today:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/18/report-microsoft-to-gut-european-xbox-operation.aspx

Following yesterday’s Microsoft announcement signaling the start of 18,000 layoffs (including the closure of Xbox Entertainment Studios), a report has emerged that the European Xbox operation is headed for significant staffing cuts. The operation, which is located in Reading, UK, is reported going to see reductions amounting to 75 percent of total staff.

So, once again, what makes you think the xbox one is doing "just fine"?
Because none of these things indicate they are.
#52TheGam3925Posted 7/20/2014 2:39:03 AM
This news makes almost everything said at the Xbone reveal meaningless. They spent a great deal of time talking about TV during the reveal.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#53L4YER_CAKEPosted 7/20/2014 3:10:07 AM
Lapanui posted...
Things change, just like how people thought paying for online was dumb and a rip off, but now it's fine if it's on the PS4

Here here! Speaking of change, remember for the better part of the last ten years when the xbox camp always said it didn't matter that online on the ps3 was free because they would gladly pay for the far superior service that is Xbox Live Gold? Only to in what feels like a matter of seconds after it was announced that the ps4 would require a paid subscription almost unanimously change their tune to one of "...Can't believe $ony is charging for online now, free online is all it had going for it!"

Of course you do, everyone does. This board does more about faces than MS themselves.
---
Braid. Save the princess. Contemplate the world. Save yourself.
#54BigBOO2UPosted 7/20/2014 8:52:50 AM
MICROSOFT E3 2013: "We have this amazing new thing called Xbox Studios to go along with our new console, the Xbox One! You're going to love it! Trust us, we won't just dangle vaporware and sales BS in front of you only to drop it again like Game Room, 1 vs 100, or Xbox Primetime!"

13 MONTHS LATER: Crickets. Hushed whispers. No more Xbox Entertainment Studios.

I swear, this company.....you can't believe anything they say anymore. Absolutely anything.
---
Duck Dynasty - The epicenter of ignorance and hate in America. And bad grooming habits.
#55Run_2_the_HillsPosted 7/20/2014 11:22:31 AM
Darkshadow6400 posted...
Syserin posted...
pnut3844 posted...
Run_2_the_Hills posted...
MS abandoned the kinect. the sooner you realize that the better.

No they didn't. They simply gave whiny gamers an option. Just like with the 360. Many options with that system.

Lol seriously? Sorry to drag you out of your own world but them giving "whiny gamers" an option is essentially them abandoning it. Them releasing a Kinectless bundle all but destroyed hopes of developers making anything for it as developers are going to cater to where a majority is for more money. Sorry but the second they announced a Kinectless bundle, they threw it under the bus.

And just like with the 360 the Kinect is probably going to have practically no games that require it outside a majority of Indies.

Since they only just released the kinectless bundle, pretty sure the majority is those with kinect

maybe this month, but wait until a year or two when most people get current gen. there's going to be more Kinect-less x1 in people's houses than kinect x1
#56BigBOO2UPosted 7/20/2014 11:50:10 AM
Run_2_the_Hills posted...
Darkshadow6400 posted...
Since they only just released the kinectless bundle, pretty sure the majority is those with kinect

maybe this month, but wait until a year or two when most people get current gen. there's going to be more Kinect-less x1 in people's houses than kinect x1

You cannot abandon something you never embraced in the first place.

Exactly what can one do with the Kinect on the Xbox One that is innovative and remarkably different than what you could do with the Kinect on the Xbox 360? Pretend you are in Minority Report?
---
Duck Dynasty - The epicenter of ignorance and hate in America. And bad grooming habits.
#57googlerPosted 7/20/2014 12:02:41 PM
Seems ironic coming from Yahoo, given how hard they fell or why they even continue to exist for that matter. I think MS just looks bad on the books given how much they made a couple of HUGE purchases the last few years, spending a lot on R&D which wont pay off immediately and then of course there are their mistakes.
Of course I think they royally ****ed up Xbox One but in terms of the consumer market, what else will they offer? - a bunch a tablets amd phones with no marketshare, an OS 90% of people nag about, and gouge people off of Office subscriptions?
#58rEaPeR_2k4Posted 7/20/2014 12:10:42 PM(edited)
All this talk about failing here. If you are here arguing on behalf of sony. U fail. I know how miserable you are. I sold my ps4 after I played infamous. Good riddance. FIND a game to play and give us HAPPY gamers out board back.

OAN ps4 won't save sony since they lose money on every console sold bc they played funky games with the currency. Sony will be a distant memory when MS shuts it's doors
---
"Stealing cable is a victimless crime...Like punching someone in the dark." GT:bEg 4 m3Rcy
www.twitch.tv/beg_4_m3rcy
#59NeoAndurilPosted 7/20/2014 12:11:00 PM
rEaPeR_2k4 posted...
All this talk about failing here. If you are here arguing on behalf of sony. U fail. I know how miserable you are. I sold my ps4 after I played infamous. Good riddance. FIND a game to play and give us HAPPY gamers out board back.

hahahhahaha. This guy cracks me up. Console warrior fail at its finest. Happy gamers indeed. If you xb1 trolls were so happy you wouldn't be spreading misery on every online medium you can touch.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6RcJTNv.png
#60slowdog76Posted 7/20/2014 12:15:35 PM
i like this topic. new fodder for my ignore list aplenty
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius