Microsoft to Lay Off 18,000 Employees

#1skermacPosted 7/17/2014 4:18:14 PM
This is the biggest layoff ever. Doesn't look good for the X1 sad to say, but I don't think they can lay a lot of the blame with the X1.

Today, Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella wrote a letter to all company employees that indicates the corporation is preparing to lay off 18,000 employees. (The New York Times reports that this makes up about 14 percent of Microsoft's global workforce.) These layoffs will be the biggest and most severe in Microsoft's history.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/17/microsoft-to-lay-off-14-percent-of-its-workforce?watch=&utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2gamecube101Posted 7/17/2014 4:21:04 PM
The layoffs came from the recent acquisition of Nokia (overlapping jobs) and the shut down of their television shows studio. They currently still have more people employed now then they did 3 weeks ago, even with these layoffs.
#3skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2014 4:22:02 PM
gamecube101 posted...
The layoffs came from the recent acquisition of Nokia (overlapping jobs) and the shut down of their television shows studio. They currently still have more people employed now then they did 3 weeks ago, even with these layoffs.

Ah, so it's not slow X1 sales, that's good to know.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#4Staranime010Posted 7/17/2014 4:22:15 PM
Welcome to Obama's Economy all Big Business lays off thousands of workers to make more profit
#5tj5921Posted 7/17/2014 4:22:19 PM
They're doomed. Should admit they're more suited to be in the WiiU class. Well out of the PS4 league.
#6TOhasNoRingPosted 7/17/2014 4:22:33 PM
Thank god, the 37th topic about this today. I was worried there wasn't gonna be another.
---
Intel Atom 1.20GHz - 512MB DDR2 SDRAM - Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD - Intel GMA 3600
#7L4YER_CAKEPosted 7/17/2014 4:33:53 PM
Thank god, the 37th topic about this today. I was worried there wasn't gonna be another.

Right? This is getting idiotic. The xbox camp is just too classy for these type of shenanigans. I remember back when Sony had some layoffs and sold some buildings there was only one topic, and everyone thanked the TC for sharing such pertinent news, then we all had a tea party and spoke of days past.

Nobody spammed that supposed bad news multiple times and tried to bring a sense of doom and gloom to the ps4 board. We all just lamented those who are no longer employed and had a prayer circle for their families.
---
Braid. Save the princess. Contemplate the world. Save yourself.
#8VIC10U5Posted 7/17/2014 4:39:30 PM
skermac posted...
gamecube101 posted...

Ah, so it's not slow X1 sales, that's good to know.

If you were to even read the article YOU linked you would know that. Jesus H. Christ.
#9SomnusNemorisPosted 7/17/2014 4:40:02 PM
L4YER_CAKE posted...

Right? This is getting idiotic. The xbox camp is just too classy for these type of shenanigans. I remember back when Sony had some layoffs and sold some buildings there was only one topic, and everyone thanked the TC for sharing such pertinent news, then we all had a tea party and spoke of days past.

Nobody spammed that supposed bad news multiple times and tried to bring a sense of doom and gloom to the ps4 board. We all just lamented those who are no longer employed and had a prayer circle for their families.

Hahaha owned!
---
PSN/GT/Steam/GoG - AstuteClass
http://i.imgur.com/n86BZOR.png
#10EllesarienPosted 7/17/2014 4:40:55 PM
L4YER_CAKE posted...

Yep...and you thought they were pathetic right? And now....you are them. Grats.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.