Whether you want to admit it or not, fanboys effect sales.

#31SigmaLongshotPosted 7/19/2014 1:09:32 PM
The effect is utterly minimal.

In the grand scheme of things, fanboys sound like UFO survivors to the general consumer base. "Xbox is the devil! Avoid it like the plague!"

"Sony killed my dad!"

"Nintendo is for toddlers!"

To a normie, this all sounds like the absurd ranting of a so-called abductee.

The truth is, people just want what they want. A random dude says, "I want an Xbox", and they save up for it, or their mum buys it for their Christmas, or their wife decides it'd be a good present. That one random nephew that spews, "did you know about the pixel count?! DID YOU KNOW?!" - THEY sound like the oddball.

The person gets their Xbox, enjoys their Xbox. That's the reality.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#32Miiri0Posted 7/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
SubSeenix posted...
50% less power in hardware
50% less quality in games
50% less loved by gamers cause Microsoft tried to pull that stuff last year before Sony crushed them.
Without SOny Microsoft still would pull all those bad things - They didn't change.They didn't have a choice against the mighty PS4.

All at the same price as the PS4

This is what effects sales
PS4 is the superior product
#33fanboymaycryPosted 7/19/2014 11:27:39 PM
Spike, you hit the nail on the head. I applaud you for being intelligent, honest, and insightful about the current situation.

Did MS make a massive blunder with some choices circa the Xbox One launch? Yes.

Dis SONY make massive blunders with some choices circa the PS3 launch? You bet they did.

Do Sony fanboys - many who still don't own a Xbox One OR PS4 yet - spend every waking moment (online or offline) on the warpath against a simple electronic device that other people may choose to adopt instead of what they prefer? Heck yeah they do.

It's ridiculous. MS would deserve to not be given a chance if they refused to listen to what their potential buyers wanted. However.. they DID listen. And they DID make - and continue to make - strides to right their ship. Foolish haters and 30 something year old children on the net even attempt to find criticism with MS's willingness to do something in favor of potential Xbox One consumers/previous 360 owners. It's all quite pathetic and transparent.

It's not like Nintendo, Sega, or Atari never made blunders. Companies in every industry do take risks. It's when they show a commitment to their consumer base's satisfaction that always shines through after they've made a mistake.

MS showed that they cared about their product and consumers by actually doing something. The trolls here are not a part of their potential consumer base. Some people here would more than likely quit console gaming if Sony got out. That tells me that they aren't gamers at all. And they don't belong on boards where gamers who own and enjoy their Xbox One or Wii U choose to populate.
#34fanboymaycryPosted 7/19/2014 11:35:06 PM(edited)
Miiri0 posted...
SubSeenix posted...
50% less loved by gamers cause Microsoft tried to pull that stuff last year before Sony crushed them.
Without SOny Microsoft still would pull all those bad things - They didn't change.They didn't have a choice against the mighty PS4.

Miiri0 posted...
SubSeenix posted...

Your troll posts fail on so many levels. I'd hate to think of how awful your lives were when the PS1 was being outperformed by the N64 and Dreamcast, or when the PS2 got crushed by the GameCube and Xbox. Or when all of those games came out for the Xbox 360 that used to be Sony exclusive.

*shakes head* Just enjoy your console choices and leave those who find equal or more enjoyment out of theirs alone. It is the GAMES that will determine what a console is worth, not specs. History has proved that every time.
#35MightyMunaPosted 7/19/2014 11:49:31 PM
Damn, you guys really take this console wars thing to heart.

As for TC, it's MS fault, they made a huge blunder, and they should be the ones to rectify. They shouldn't be 'forgiven', they need to do whatever it takes. It's not gamers' problem but theirs.

If they've a couple of changes and sales are still lacking, then make more changes, e.g. further price cuts, more exclusives, more discounts, better marketing, whatever it takes to convert people.

After all, most 360 owners were PS2 owners, most never even heard or had an original Xbox but they got converted to 360 because MS made the right moves at that time.

Gamers are fickle, make the right decisions, they will come back. Last but not least, some of you guys need to take a break from gamefaqs and/or other game forums, because you guys believe Internet is reality, when it's actually far from it. More so, you guys actually get your feelings hurt by other rabid fanboys just because you can't handle varied opinions.

You guys need to take a chill pill.
#36slowdog76Posted 7/20/2014 12:24:32 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
The effect is utterly minimal.

In the grand scheme of things, fanboys sound like UFO survivors to the general consumer base. "Xbox is the devil! Avoid it like the plague!"

"Sony killed my dad!"

"Nintendo is for toddlers!"

To a normie, this all sounds like the absurd ranting of a so-called abductee.

The truth is, people just want what they want. A random dude says, "I want an Xbox", and they save up for it, or their mum buys it for their Christmas, or their wife decides it'd be a good present. That one random nephew that spews, "did you know about the pixel count?! DID YOU KNOW?!" - THEY sound like the oddball.

The person gets their Xbox, enjoys their Xbox. That's the reality.

definitely this

i remember the sony fanboys / trolls laughing through the months of may to november that no-one would buy an xbox one, and yet here we are one year later and it is selling well
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#37SoulTrapperPosted 7/20/2014 1:28:10 AM(edited)
Negative publicity and word of mouth definitely affect sales of a product.

Just look at the sales numbers of a sequel game like DA2: the game sold more in it's opening week, but sold less afterwards, because word got out that the game wasn't as good as the previous one.

Meanwhile DA:O kept selling because of the positivity that was spread by the people who played it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.274668-Dragon-Age-2-Sales

A more recent example of this, is Divinity: Original Sin.
A game with almost zero marketing (they had enough money to pay for 2 ads) and yet it was constantly the best selling game on Steam until Wolfenstein got 50% off.
Purely because people were very positive about it (rightfully so).

Also, if the effect was indeed "utterly minimal" as some people claim, large companies wouldn't be hiring people to viral market their games:

http://www.ayzenberg.com/#/work/all/case-study/ea-games/

Today, as part of a successful program, we initiate an average of 15,000 points of conversation daily across several titles
The program currently leverages Ayzenberg's 50+ person social media staff, a team of community operatives (agents with their hands on keyboards),

http://www.ayzenberg.com/#/clients/

That's just one of the many companies that provides this type of service: people who spend their day influencing others to buy products.

And on top of that, there are the people who work for the companies themselves, who go online and influence discussion about their products there.
Usually, these are the people who work on sound or music. Stuff that is usually done long before the game is finished, so they don't have to fired or sit around doing nothing.

A good example of this, is Andrea Perry, a Bioware employee who uses the username Andryah and who steers conversation on Bioware's own forums and who has also been seen doing the same on other video game websites:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951199-star-wars-the-old-republic/62750817?page=4

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5410763/Best-Andryah-quotes-youve-seen.html
#38foundryGodPosted 7/20/2014 2:13:14 AM
dataDyneSoldier posted...
TC does speak the truth. An employee at my local Gamestop says she's talked a ton of people into buying a Playstation 4 when they came in to buy an Xbox One.

This. Months before the release of either system, I went to my local Gamestop and employee had "official" flyers posted around the store. They said that GameStop corporate office demanded that no store would ever carry the XB1 or any of its games. The employee also said that the XB1 wouldn't have blu-Ray and no hard drive. After he wouldn't listen to reason, I started going elsewhere to buy my games. Nothing against Sony, but that was pure fanboy drivel. It made me wonder, how many other places did that happen? For either system?
---
GT: mustang197
#39slowdog76Posted 7/20/2014 2:21:26 AM
theres a small indie shop....well, i can see it now its that close. anyway, they got a bee in their bonnet about something MS orientated before launch (iirc it was stock allocation being cut. crappy, but understandable for the indie shops at launch i guess. i may be wrong) anyway, they got in a huff and ever since have stocked little xb1 stock and promote ps4 HEAVILY. nothing to do with console preferences, but still. it winds me up tbh.
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#40CharadeSmithPosted 7/20/2014 2:54:38 AM
SpikeTheSpaceCowboy posted...

I challenge anyone here to go to a major retail store and ask the clerk in the games section which console you should get. If they outright say one or the other without asking you questions about your gaming habits, past consoles, multiplayer preferences or anything that should be considered when deciding on a purchase, you just spoke to a fanboy.

Not really. They're more likely to recommend the One because it's the one that needs sales to be pushed and that's what stores are interested in; no need to recommend ps4 cause those already fly off the shelves. Recommending Wii U would (sadly) be a bad idea as they'd be laughed at by too many gamers.
---
SonyTendo - Fight the evil Microdevil