Report: Microsoft's cuts include the EMEA Xbox team

#21SoulTrapperPosted 7/18/2014 12:24:45 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

I'm fairly certain cuts in the xbox division are because of the xbox.

No one is saying the Nokia releases are part of this, that's something he made up because he didn't seem to understand this was new information.

Yes, but they are because of the existence of redundant positions within the Xbox hierarchy, not because of poor sales.

75% of the European xbox division was redundant and they didn't notice until now?
No way you actually believe that.

The sales are a major factor in this restructuring, you don't cut 75% of your employees in a certain branch because things are going as planned.
#22iamdanthamanPosted 7/18/2014 12:40:02 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
iamdanthaman posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

No one is saying the Nokia releases are part of this, that's something he made up because he didn't seem to understand this was new information.

Yes, but they are because of the existence of redundant positions within the Xbox hierarchy, not because of poor sales.

75% of the European xbox division was redundant and they didn't notice until now?

The sales are a major factor in this restructuring, you don't cut 75% of your employees in a certain branch because things are going as planned.

It's not that they didn't notice before, it's just that there is a different guy in charge now. Different people have different ideas about the best way to run things. Nadella apparently prefers things to be more centralized, and have a smaller staff overseas, than Ballmer did. Add to that that they also just changed over the head of Xbox as well, there were bound to be some changes.
---
All your base are belong to us
#23SoulTrapperPosted 7/18/2014 12:53:31 PM(edited)
iamdanthaman posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
iamdanthaman posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

It's not that they didn't notice before, it's just that there is a different guy in charge now. Different people have different ideas about the best way to run things. Nadella apparently prefers things to be more centralized, and have a smaller staff overseas, than Ballmer did. Add to that that they also just changed over the head of Xbox as well, there were bound to be some changes.

Sure, but firing 75% of people is not a simple reorganization.
They were no longer needed, because a lot of the original ideas (forced kinect and NuAds and the TV focus) have been thrown out.
And those ideas have been thrown out, because the xbox one wasn't selling as good as expected/hoped.
And the xbox one isn't selling as good as expected/hoped because of bad decisions by the higher ups.
#24slowdog76Posted 7/18/2014 12:55:38 PM
glad of your expert analysis there soultrapper, what with your deep understanding of business and the iner machinations at microsoft. what would we do without your knowledge
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#25SoulTrapperPosted 7/18/2014 1:01:02 PM
slowdog76 posted...
glad of your expert analysis there soultrapper, what with your deep understanding of business and the iner machinations at microsoft. what would we do without your knowledge

Yeah, I'd just leave it alone when I have no real arguments to counter what was brought up.
But it's always nice to see the same people resort to lame comments due to lack of actual argumentation.
#26scoobydoobydontPosted 7/18/2014 1:06:50 PM
Based on my mostly made up numbers, 57% of 100% of the blame lies with Xbox division. It's bleeding money and making a mess all over Microsoft's offices. Their mop budget alone is up 300% YOY! You can't ignore numbers like these, I made them impressively big so you would have to pay attention and research conducted by my cat proves it works half of the time while working the other half of the time. Numbers don't lie.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil (aka Altair001)
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#27SoulTrapperPosted 7/18/2014 1:08:36 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Based on my mostly made up numbers, 57% of 100% of the blame lies with Xbox division. It's bleeding money and making a mess all over Microsoft's offices. Their mop budget alone is up 300% YOY! You can't ignore numbers like these, I made them impressively big so you would have to pay attention and research conducted by my cat proves it works half of the time while working the other half of the time. Numbers don't lie.

Yesterday, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella announced that the company would cut up to 18,000 jobs 12,500 in its Nokia division as part of the company's restructuring plan. MCV's sources state that as much as 75 percent of the full-time positions available on the Xbox EMEA would be axed, with current employees having to reapply for the remaining open roles.

Reading really isn't that difficult.
#28regsantotomasPosted 7/18/2014 1:09:04 PM
I bet at least 1 person on here is on Warren Buffet's speed dial. This is legit analysis at its best!
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#29iamdanthamanPosted 7/18/2014 1:10:08 PM
SoulTrapper posted...

Sure, but firing 75% of people is not a simple reorganization.
They were no longer needed, because a lot of the original ideas (forced kinect and NuAds and the TV focus) have been thrown out.
And those ideas have been thrown out, because the xbox one wasn't selling as good as expected/hoped.
And the xbox one isn't selling as good as expected/hoped because of bad decisions by the higher ups.

I can accept that argument for why Xbox Entertainment was closed down, or if they were pulling out of one of those markets like they did in Japan with the 360, but it's not like the EMEA team was in charge of the implementation of Kinect and NuAds, Hell, they barely even supported TV integration anywhere but the US. If what you are saying is right, the layoffs would have hit the core Xbox team, not the overseas team.
---
All your base are belong to us
#30scoobydoobydontPosted 7/18/2014 1:12:25 PM
regsantotomas posted...
I bet at least 1 person on here is on Warren Buffet's speed dial. This is legit analysis at its best!

I tell my secretary to put him on hold and pretend she's transferring him using different voices each time so he'll both get tired of waiting and hang up, and also so he is impressed by how many secretaries I have. It's working more or less.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil (aka Altair001)
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg