Kinect Idea: "The Fear Eater".

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 7/18/2014 8:57:51 AM
People are always asking how the Kinect can be applied to traditional games, and I often have loads of design possibilities which aren't too far-fetched/implausible.

One of these I named "Fear Eater".

Now, any of you that've used the Kinect for Xbox Fitness will be fully-well aware that Kinect is so accurate that, when stationary, your temperature and heartbeat can be recorded. This is due to recording minute fluctuating pigmentation in your skin (it can literally detect hue changes twice per second, making this quite astonishingly accurate). I've tested it with a wrist-mounted BPM monitor, and it was completely accurate. Temperature is also an interesting monitor - it can detect increases in your body temperature and can offer feedback on this too.

Anyway, back to the idea.

The theme and story is inconsequential, but the mechanic is as such - a survival horror experience, but you are pursued by an otherworldly, spectral demon that literally detects, and eats... fear. Clearly you can see where I'm going with this!

Controlled with the pad, and viewed from first-person perspective, you have little defenses other than trying to remain calm whilst it pursues you. The more your heartbeat elevates, the more vicious, ravenous and aggressive the Fear Eater becomes in his pursuit.

This also helps the game's difficulty-curve, because the game will naturally get "more difficult" as it gets scarier towards the end - quite literally, you will be testing your own nerves just as much as your reflexes!

What about it? Could you see yourself responding positively to such a mechanic?
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2FinzFan4lifePosted 7/18/2014 9:18:36 AM
Sounds like a good premise
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#3SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 9:26:54 AM
FinzFan4life posted...

Very kind! Thank you my friend.

You could also potentially have moments where the Fear Eater is staring right at you, you're trying to keep your cool - but he's not *completely* blind. He can also sense "spirit stirring" - basically meaning at this time, when he's looking right at you, Kinect is looking right at you - you'd better stay as still as a statue, or boy, you're going to have a bad time!
---
#4redditon4chanPosted 7/18/2014 9:29:36 AM
This is actually the kind of thing I wish it would have been use for the in the first place and what you've presented is a very good start to an end that will unfortunately probably never be. I'd totally be into something like this if handled properly.

Instead, in the drawer it sits.
#5sandersjr_basicPosted 7/18/2014 9:32:25 AM
This is an awesome idea! Would be terrifying and awesome at the same time!
---
Even The Best Fall Down Sometimes
#6FinzFan4lifePosted 7/18/2014 9:33:12 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
FinzFan4life posted...

Very kind! Thank you my friend.

You could also potentially have moments where the Fear Eater is staring right at you, you're trying to keep your cool - but he's not *completely* blind. He can also sense "spirit stirring" - basically meaning at this time, when he's looking right at you, Kinect is looking right at you - you'd better stay as still as a statue, or boy, you're going to have a bad time!

Whoa buddy keep the kinect looking at you to yourself the tinfoil hat people will only see that lol.
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#7SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 9:34:22 AM
redditon4chan posted...
This is actually the kind of thing I wish it would have been use for the in the first place and what you've presented is a very good start to an end that will unfortunately probably never be. I'd totally be into something like this if handled properly.

Instead, in the drawer it sits.

Thank you chap! And that's the thing - it's a totally viable design mechanic - utilizes all of Kinect's functionality without being a cheap "waggle title", so to speak.

A bit of subtlety to ENHANCE, not CHANGE games, is where Kinect's strengths lie.
---
#8Bobsy84Posted 7/18/2014 9:34:50 AM
I thought they were onto the right idea with that survival horror kinect game on xbox 360. Sorry i cant for the life of me remember its name. The idea was solid but it lacked the proper controls on the old kinect.
At this point its looking more likely to happen via morpheus on ps4 than the one. On a side note the original kinect based ryse looked like an awsome idea aswell!
#9SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2014 9:46:27 AM
Bobsy84 posted...
I thought they were onto the right idea with that survival horror kinect game on xbox 360. Sorry i cant for the life of me remember its name. The idea was solid but it lacked the proper controls on the old kinect.
At this point its looking more likely to happen via morpheus on ps4 than the one. On a side note the original kinect based ryse looked like an awsome idea aswell!

Rise of Nightmares, I think it was called.

The problem there was that it tried to do EVERYTHING with Kinect. I think the best way to use Kinect is to let the player use their controller and have other, more ambient things become affected by the Kinect hardware.
---
#10quincy2000aPosted 7/18/2014 9:49:56 AM
I might actually plug my Kinect in for a game like that.
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."