REMINDER: Microsoft is worth $280 billion; Sony is worth $83 billion

#101Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 7/19/2014 5:17:59 PM
everyones trying to put everyone in their place.
no one has succeeded...
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."
#102Cowboy082288Posted 7/19/2014 5:19:45 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
PS:
I know little about the markets, as in making investment choices. But I know enough to see how stupid some of the comments on GF are.

If you're invested in Sony, then I question your knowledge about the markets

I never did invest in Sony. Generally there is a lot of 'don't invest in Japanese companies' sentiment in the world right now. Going into details would take pages but basically a slow growth economy combined with certain insulation practices is a deterrent to foreign investors to japan.

I'm ok with saying what companies I have directly bought stock in.

They are as follows:

Union Pacific
Coca-Cola
Wells Fargo
Facebook
Deer & Company

That is it so far. I have come out ahead to this point (beating the S&P 500) but I often worry that I'm like a gambler. On a lucky streak but will crash soon :))) I hope not.
#103Cowboy082288Posted 7/19/2014 5:32:26 PM
Also and yeah I know I'm droning on but this is an important point. There is what they call a 'short' market or short selling.

Something most on GF seem to know nothing about. Identifying a weak or more importantly overpriced company while others don't see it, can make you money through shorts.

So when I see people on GF saying Sony is doomed or MS is doomed or Nintendo is doomed, I just think:

"Um if your so confident then short the stock and stop telling everybody about the revelation you have had." :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
#104RyuuHou25Posted 7/19/2014 11:12:21 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
Ironcondorz posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Tech_Support posted...
Uhh how can you get simple number so wrong?

First off Microsoft as of today is worth 369 billion

And Sony is worth 17.5 billion

Where the hell did you get your numbers you silly goose?

Where the hell did you get your numbers?

This is a stupid thread and I have no clue where the OP got his numbers or ideas, but the numbers you quoted are each company's Market Capitalization which is a basic measure of how much a company is worth (including potential/expected value in the future).

I agree that this is a stupid topic. I would also like to point out how right you and Tech_support are. The market cap is easy to look up. Here you go RyuuHou25:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AMSFT&ei=vQTLU6DmEsGIjAKWj4DADQ

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ASNE&ei=zgTLU4D6AYOCiAKMjYGgDw

I mean this is hilarious. All the arguments in this thread and hardly any of them relized how wrong the initial numbers are :)

I was just curious where he got them from, thanks for those :)
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
I ga blerp ba jerp go flerp ja lerping herp ta terping larping en darping kla barping zarping mo darping - how the common wild Gfaqer sounds
#105darkstar4221Posted 7/20/2014 1:30:46 AM(edited)
Cowboy082288 posted...
.... look into rating agencies. It is a lot of BS. And there are many of them. Also um 17B is good no matter what.

Look at AMD, they are valued just under 3B. That company makes cpu/gpus. Intel is worth 167B, and NVidia is about 11B.

Go here:
https://www.google.com/finance

And just look at the prices of many companies. In different industries. Use the scalars to look at volume of companies in different market caps.

Don't just be one of these idiots on GF who thinks they are a market place expert and really knows nothing.

PS:
I know little about the markets, as in making investment choices. But I know enough to see how stupid some of the comments on GF are.

Jesus Christ how the hell is Intel worth 167B? They don't even make anything that valuable. The majority of their profits come from selling CPUs, oh that's right they make the "BEST" cpus but they have a monopoly on ideas becasue of patent law.

It's common knowledge that Microsoft is dependent on copyright law to maintain their market-share and profits, since the majority of their profits come from selling licensed software (windows and office). Sony is not a monopoly but they certainly behave like one, they are also a notorious copyright aggressor. AMD and nVidia practically have a duopoly in the GPU market. Although no one has studied to why the GPU market is only concerted on two wall street firms most likey AMD and nVidia benefit from ip laws as well.

These billionaire dollar tech firms wouldn't be so big if the tech industry was operating on an actual free-market.
#106Crystyn_7BPosted 7/20/2014 1:35:06 AM
gobuffalo30 posted...
Crystyn_7B posted...
suzukimatsui posted...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2014/02/18/microsoft-should-give-xbox-one-to-nintendo/

Not hard to find. Are you even trying?

Check your facts lol
Microsoft has a new CEO. And a new Chairman. The new CEO says the company needs to focus on core markets. And analysts are making the same cry.

Amidst this organizational change, Xbox continues its long history of losing money – as much as $2 billion per year. And early 2014 results show that Xbox One is selling at only half the rate of Sony’s Playstation 4, with cumulative Xbox One sales at under 70% of PS4, leading Motley Fool to call Xbox One a “total failure.”

Clicking the hyperlinked $2 billion per year leads to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.833461-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

Again, provide a non analyst source or, to be even more specific, a source that isn't traced back to Rick Sherlund.

Sometimes you people make it almost too easy...

It's clear you don't know the job of an analyst if you want a non-analyst source. If that's the case, listen to the people on this board and the xbox one is doing fantastic.

So we should take anything any analyst says w/o any evidence backing his claim at face value?
#107James_4ortPosted 7/20/2014 1:46:44 AM(edited)
ClickHereNow posted...
Japanese companies are often run like this. They start to fail and begin operating at a loss. They continue to operate at a loss sometimes for many years due to the fear of family shaming. After company no longer can operate at a loss, they are outcast to China where they are cheaply rebranded other a knockoff of their old brand.

U should be outcast to china.. for shame.
---
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true
#108GFaqsUser22Posted 7/20/2014 4:32:36 AM
LOL @ all of the financial analysts in this topic.
#109BlackFeathersPosted 7/20/2014 4:49:58 AM
ClickHereNow posted...
Sales don't really matter when the manufacturer of the Xbox One can buy any exclusive they want if they so want it.

I already made a topic like this and even hardcore Xbox fans told me it doesnt matter how much money Microsoft has, it's Xbox Division is on a budget and they won't buy as many exclusives as you think.
#110gobuffalo30Posted 7/20/2014 4:55:58 AM
Crystyn_7B posted...
gobuffalo30 posted...
Crystyn_7B posted...
suzukimatsui posted...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2014/02/18/microsoft-should-give-xbox-one-to-nintendo/

Not hard to find. Are you even trying?

Check your facts lol
Microsoft has a new CEO. And a new Chairman. The new CEO says the company needs to focus on core markets. And analysts are making the same cry.

Amidst this organizational change, Xbox continues its long history of losing money – as much as $2 billion per year. And early 2014 results show that Xbox One is selling at only half the rate of Sony’s Playstation 4, with cumulative Xbox One sales at under 70% of PS4, leading Motley Fool to call Xbox One a “total failure.”

Clicking the hyperlinked $2 billion per year leads to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.833461-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

Again, provide a non analyst source or, to be even more specific, a source that isn't traced back to Rick Sherlund.

Sometimes you people make it almost too easy...

It's clear you don't know the job of an analyst if you want a non-analyst source. If that's the case, listen to the people on this board and the xbox one is doing fantastic.

So we should take anything any analyst says w/o any evidence backing his claim at face value?

Which is not exactly what you said.