Are Gamers easily exploited?

#1GladiatorDangerPosted 7/19/2014 1:21:35 PM
Sometimes it seems like gaming companies deliberately try to push the limits of what they can get away with, for instance EA and Activision releasing the same game every year (and even in EA's case releasing the same game with even less features and more bugs than the previous installments, for instance Sims 4 and Sim City) with the only thing added being more outlandish microtransactions designed purely to squeeze money out of their consumers, Hideo Kojima cutting the prologue off the beginning of his newest game and selling it for $40, Kickstarter projects that ask for a large sum of money only to have it all spent on Jaffa cakes with the game being cancelled and the money NOT being refunded, normally the normal consumer wouldn't fall for this sort of thing but for some reason the gamer falls for it every time, is this just an industry with a consumer base that is ripe for exploitation?
#2GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 1:21:41 PM
For instance for every gamer willing to stand against this sort of thing there seem to be far more who will just take it and line up for the next installment of whatever cash grab is on offer. Why did you think Microsoft even tried to introduce such outlandish policies in the first place? I am sure if Sony had put up the same exploitative policies that Microsoft did a few of you would probably grumble about it but the majority would still be lining up for the next generation of consoles, hell even if Microsoft didn't flip their used games policies and always on Kinect how many of you would have still brought an Xbox One?

Bioware is another one, to be honest I have lost count of how many people have said <insert game here> is Bioware's last chance but even when the game turns out to be tripe there are still millions lining up for their next batch

Hopefully we can still have a civil discussion on the matter but do you think there will ever be an effective way to combat exploitation in the industry or is the gaming industry just ripe for exploitation?
#3SythisTaruPosted 7/19/2014 1:28:41 PM
GladiatorDanger posted...
For instance for every gamer willing to stand against this sort of thing there seem to be far more who will just take it and line up for the next installment of whatever cash grab is on offer. Why did you think Microsoft even tried to introduce such outlandish policies in the first place? I am sure if Sony had put up the same exploitative policies that Microsoft did a few of you would probably grumble about it but the majority would still be lining up for the next generation of consoles, hell even if Microsoft didn't flip their used games policies and always on Kinect how many of you would have still brought an Xbox One?

Bioware is another one, to be honest I have lost count of how many people have said <insert game here> is Bioware's last chance but even when the game turns out to be tripe there are still millions lining up for their next batch

Hopefully we can still have a civil discussion on the matter but do you think there will ever be an effective way to combat exploitation in the industry or is the gaming industry just ripe for exploitation?

Bioware has never made a "bad" game. Even the worst, Old Republic, is still really good. There are FAR worse companies. Quit complaining.
#4GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 1:34:53 PM
SythisTaru posted...

Bioware has never made a "bad" game. Even the worst, Old Republic, is still really good. There are FAR worse companies. Quit complaining.

Really? I would have considered Dragon Age 2 to be far worse than TOR (which in all honesty was a bad game).
#5SythisTaruPosted 7/19/2014 1:36:29 PM
SythisTaru posted...

Really? I would have considered Dragon Age 2 to be far worse than TOR (which in all honesty was a bad game).

I dunno, I loved Dragon Age 2. I thought it had the best dialogue I've seen in an RPG since Planescape: Torment and almost no choice was as simple as "good or evil". But I know a lot of people didn't like it.
#6TheBonfiniPosted 7/19/2014 1:36:48 PM
No they aren't. MS massive failure this gen proves that true gamers have values and integrity.
---
Friendly advice taken.
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#7NSGraphitePosted 7/19/2014 1:38:16 PM
I disagree. Dragon Age 2 is a really good game, when copared with the whole of the game industry.

When compared with bioware's personal endeavors, it ranks low, but in the scheme of games in general it's still pretty damned good.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#8GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 1:40:30 PM
TheBonfini posted...
No they aren't. MS massive failure this gen proves that true gamers have values and integrity.

While it is true that Microsoft hasn't done as well as Sony with their latest console they did still break their launch sales records.
#9GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 2:00:18 PM(edited)
NSGraphite posted...
I disagree. Dragon Age 2 is a really good game, when copared with the whole of the game industry.

When compared with bioware's personal endeavors, it ranks low, but in the scheme of games in general it's still pretty damned good.

Are you saying that merely because you prefer RPGs you thus rank them higher than most games despite their objective quality? I find that a lot of Bioware games are ranked higher than they should be not because of their quality but rather due to the lack of quality RPGs and competition, personally I prefer RPGs and would rather play a lower quality RPG over a higher quality FPS but at the same time while I did enjoy Origins for the most part I do have to acknowledge that it wasn't quite on the level of quality of higher quality games of different genres.

That said with CDProjekt entering the genre you can clearly see how far Bioware is lagging behind in terms of quality.
#10Cowboy082288Posted 7/19/2014 1:53:58 PM
Nope TC the health industry is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse. New diet fads, supplements, vitamins, fitness routines are coming out all the time. Most of them are either stupid or redundant.

For example: Shake Weight

Response: "Can't I just pick up a dumbbell and shake it back and forth?" "Or really any object for that matter?"